• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WaPo: Is Mike Shanahan or Daniel Snyder to blame?

Burgundy Burner

The Commissioner
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Virginia
Is Mike Shanahan or Daniel Snyder to blame? Washington doesn?t deserve either of them - The Washington Post

Some highlights...

Who deserves more blame, Mike Shanahan, the weasel of a coach who defames his enemies, deflects blame and now may duck out of town if he gets the firing he craves? Or Snyder, the man who picked Shanahan, his seventh coach in 14 years, while all around the NFL old hands said, “If this ends badly, those two guys really deserve each other.”

Shanahan, it now seems apparent, wants to be fired. His motives can be ascertained in the future. But his targets as he leaves we probably already know: Snyder, the easy-but-always-deserving target, and Robert Griffin III, the quarterback to whom the franchise future is tied. Last season, Shanahan left RGIII in far too long against Seattle and contributed to a knee injury that may limit the ceiling on his whole career. What psychological scars and damage to reputation will he leave now as he departs?

So, we’re supposed to believe that, after a 7-0 run led by Griffin which had resurrected Shanny’s frayed reputation, that the coach was fuming about limos and security guards? That would mean that Shanahan had the NFL’s most fragile, most easily threatened ego. Or that he feared any locus of team authority not centered in himself. If true, that would even open the possibility that a simmering disgruntled Shanahan “ready to quit,’ would perhaps subconsciously leave RGIII in that Seattle game too long. Wishing him harm? Oh, surely not — at least consciously.

When the head coach, red in the face, defiant, is virtually holding a “Fire Me, I Dare Ya” sign at his own news conference, the mood of the day changes.

You can only laugh to keep from crying for so long. Shanahan and Snyder may deserve each other. But Washington doesn’t deserve either of them. Even if this team’s fans are loony with adoration at times, they merit far better than an inept owner and a coach who wants to undermine the reputation of the team’s quarterback as he slinks out the door with his loot.

Talk about a hit piece.

Hey Washington Post? U mad?

Hit pieces on Shanahan are coming from everywhere tonight.

I liked the article. I'm so mad I'm in burn it to the ground mode. Screw it.

(i'm aware burn it to the ground mode is not a very... productive/smart/good mode to be in)

Maybe this is the bottom for a team that can’t even get its name right. You can hope. But you have deep doubts. The pattern repeats, though the characters change. Only the sadness, the futility, mixed with the smoldering embers of outrage, remains.
One character hasn't changed.

Hit piece? Maybe. Fair question? Absolutely. I'd love to see Snyder sell the team, much of the issues are still from past piss poor management. However, Shanahan has screwed the pooch on so many things since day one. Things a seasoned, superbowl winning coach should never screw up. All appearances to me are he's been given everything he's asked from Snyder. He did get saddled with the cap hit, and that's no small problem, but I don't think he managed it well at all.

Shanahan has made a mess of this and I don't see any way he stays.

I only take issue with Boswell's generalizations of Griffin's role in all of this. He has has own revisionist history there.

There were a lot of snipes coming out of Camp Griffin towards the coaching staff after last year. I'm sure plenty of reasonable people are willing to ignore that, but I'm not. Maybe that makes me unreasonable or over dramatic. I don't know.

There's plenty of blame to go around. Personally, I blame everyone, Shanahan, Snyder, Haslett, Burns, Griffin, the media, Goodell, Mara, etc.

Not sure where to go from here but change is in order. You can't fire the owner so who's next in line?

RGIII is not blameless in this fiasco, either.

Wasn't it last week he said the opposing defense knew everything we called in advance?

It's now a he-said-she-said, and once again, we fans take the beating.

And, I'll keep asking: Who in his freaking right mind would ever, ever come to work for this owner?!?

He'll scare away some coaches, but not all.

Anyone who wants to get paid, or anyone who has a son that would like to move into the league, for starters.

Plus, by human nature, everyone likes to believe they are different. That they are "the one" who can do what no one else could.

The more I think about this the less blame I assign to Snyder. I'm no Snyder apologist but I can't recall the last confirmed bone headed thing he's done. Some one help a guy out here. Hiring Shanahan may be it, but bad hires happen. Lots of teams would have been happy to grab Shanahan, and will when he leaves here. Though he may no longer have the leverage to demand full control. He should stick to coaching, and even that is suspect at this point IMO. Back to Snyder. I find it odd there's been nothing negative about him going on until there's a total collapse, and all the sudden a supposed rift appears between him and Shanahan last year. It's just a bit too convenient IMO. I'm putting this current mess squarely on Shanahan. His debacle dealing with AH leading to the cap hit. His screw up on McNabb. <shivers> His screw up getting RG3 hurt. His Screw up with all of the controversy and drama that's been one of the only constants his entire tenure.

At this point I don't see any reason to proceed with Shanahan as coach. And he never should have had control over anything else. That to me is Snyder's failing. Everything else about this current team has been Shanahan's doing

I'm no Snyder apologist but I can't recall the last confirmed bone headed thing he's done. Some one help a guy out here.

Put a star player above the entire franchise.

We can blame Shanahan for everything else, but that one is solely on the shoulders of Snyder and Shanahan doesn't appear to be the only one in the locker room not happy about it.

Put a star player above the entire franchise.

We can blame Shanahan for everything else, but that one is solely on the shoulders of Snyder and Shanahan doesn't appear to be the only one in the locker room not happy about it.
This has yet to be proven as fact.

The bottom line is that we have not done the necessary things required to improve, to help our franchise QB progress, or to protect him (either from DTs or a rabid media). This coaching staff has failed. Whether or not Snyder was hobnobbing with his latest player toy in the offseason - that may be a concern, but it's about #983 on the list of problems we have. If Shanahan truly was focused on that kind of thing vs. the actual ability and preparation of this team he is 100% culpable and shame on him. Ultimately Snyder can't escape ownership of this mess at some level.

God bless you. I mean that, in all seriousness. I wish I had the ability to take that outlook at this point. ;)
You do. You just choose not to.

Until faced with facts, I automatically doubt anything so media driven. Whatever the facts are, they are also surround by lies, fantasy, and an agenda that won't quit.

There are many instances when "Kill them all, let God sort'em out", is my go to solution. This ain't one of them.

I'm waiting for more info. Not speculation, or reports that fit my opinion of the state of condition.

You do. You just choose not to.

Until faced with facts, I automatically doubt anything so media driven. Whatever the facts are, they are also surround by lies, fantasy, and an agenda that won't quit.

There are many instances when "Kill them all, let God sort'em out", is my go to solution. This ain't one of them.

I'm waiting for more info. Not speculation, or reports that fit my opinion of the state of condition.

It's not a choice I make consciously.

I think 80% of what's floating around is bullshit. It's the 20% that bothers me. I believe where there's smoke there's fire.

I've also been complaining about Griffin, his attitude and the problems they can cause as well as his treatment, since early in the offseason. So this situation highly plausible to me to begin with.

Right. But the problem is, the 80% is used to get enough people foaming at the mouth that something explodes. Which is, the ultimate desire of the media.

Especially our local maggots.

Where as the 20%, if allowed to be worked on out of public scrutiny, wouldn't be much of a big deal.

Where as the 20%, if allowed to be worked on out of public scrutiny, wouldn't be much of a big deal.

Agreed completely.

For some reason that's not allowed to go on here. Ever.

That goes to the personal vendetta the local media has against Snyder.

And, if he sold the team tomorrow, it wouldn't change much. As much as some seem to believe it would.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.