• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Via Yahoo Sports: Redskins make big moves without big splash

The Redskins are loading up with young role players and draft picks. They are positioning themselves to move up in next years draft to take their QB. Also, many of the bad teams already have their young QBs. Rex's and/or Beck's job is to try to compete while the young players learn the systems. The Skins might not win many games, but they should have a much stronger foundation of young players next year to put around their rookie QB.

I like the plan if that's what it is.

I have seen Luck play a few games and I will say the kid has the talent. Generational? I don't know. All I can say is there was an awful lot of talk like this last year about Jake Locker.

Seems to me this time last year I remember a WHOLE lot of people saying we needed to suck to get Jake Locker and that Locker was a once in a generation player.

Now, I don't know what Luck will become, but it seems once in a generation players come along a lot more often than once a generation. That said, I wouldn't mind if we got our Montana, Elway, or Manning or hit on a Baugh again. Heck, I'll even take a trade for another Sonny... :D

Edit: Missed your post, Elephant, but that's okay consider mine seconding yours.

There is no way I would give up a 3rd for Orton. A 5th at the most, and probably not even that. I gave a scenario in another thread in which Albert would be traded straight up for Orton. Not that I wanted that, but I thought it was reasonable. After seeing what we received for Albert, I think if we wanted Orton we would have him. The Broncos really need a DT, and we really need a QB.

However, Orton is nothing more than a place holder. Of course, so are Beck and Grossman (maybe if re-signed) and they already know the system.

I also championed Young, but in hindsight, I think that was idiotic. In the past, I have stated that Kyle needs an accurate and intelligent QB, not an inaccurate athletic one. For some reason, I lost focus for a few weeks. My brain was mush. My excitement for a new QB overcame my sensibility.

With that said, I am currently rooting for Beck to succeed. Why? Because he has done everything that you expect a starting QB to do in an offseason. He has taken on the role of team leader and succeeded. Yet, he is the running joke on all sports programs. He is constantly being ridiculed and no one has the slightest idea what he can offer on the field.

Beck will be 30 by the start of the first regular season game. Furthermore, he will only have 4 starts under his belt. Not what you want to hear about when discussing a QB that is going to lead your team. I am not the least bit excited by this.

Now, a major knock on Beck is his arm strength. Well, Schaub does not have great arm strength either. Kyle Shannahan does not need the strongest arm to run this system. He knows how to get receivers open and an intelligent QB can take full advantage.

I am looking at it this way. What if Beck succeeds? If he does great, we may have a starting QB for 3-4 years. This will enable us to continue to build the team around the QB and pick a young QB to groom when it is convenient for us.

What if Beck fails this year? Fine. No skin off of our backs because we did not expect much from him in the first place. If this happens, we have a high draft pick and it will be easier for the Shannahan’s to pick the QB of the future. We have a full slate of picks in both 2012 and 2013, under this scenario it will be easier to move up in the draft.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the rookie salary cap. More teams are likely to draft a QB high knowing that they are not going to have to pay an arm and a leg to keep him for 4 years. It is very cost advantageous. This means the Skins will have to give up more to move up in the draft. As of right now, we have ammunition.

So, I am on the Beck/Grossman bandwagon. It may not be pretty this year, but in the end it may be considered a win/win situation for the Skins and the fans.

Well said Omni! I am trying to muster enthusiasm to jump on board with you. Still trying, hopefully I'll get there soon...

There is no way I would give up a 3rd for Orton. A 5th at the most, and probably not even that. I gave a scenario in another thread in which Albert would be traded straight up for Orton. Not that I wanted that, but I thought it was reasonable. After seeing what we received for Albert, I think if we wanted Orton we would have him. The Broncos really need a DT, and we really need a QB.

However, Orton is nothing more than a place holder. Of course, so are Beck and Grossman (maybe if re-signed) and they already know the system.

I also championed Young, but in hindsight, I think that was idiotic. In the past, I have stated that Kyle needs an accurate and intelligent QB, not an inaccurate athletic one. For some reason, I lost focus for a few weeks. My brain was mush. My excitement for a new QB overcame my sensibility.

With that said, I am currently rooting for Beck to succeed. Why? Because he has done everything that you expect a starting QB to do in an offseason. He has taken on the role of team leader and succeeded. Yet, he is the running joke on all sports programs. He is constantly being ridiculed and no one has the slightest idea what he can offer on the field.

Beck will be 30 by the start of the first regular season game. Furthermore, he will only have 4 starts under his belt. Not what you want to hear about when discussing a QB that is going to lead your team. I am not the least bit excited by this.

Now, a major knock on Beck is his arm strength. Well, Schaub does not have great arm strength either. Kyle Shannahan does not need the strongest arm to run this system. He knows how to get receivers open and an intelligent QB can take full advantage.

I am looking at it this way. What if Beck succeeds? If he does great, we may have a starting QB for 3-4 years. This will enable us to continue to build the team around the QB and pick a young QB to groom when it is convenient for us.

What if Beck fails this year? Fine. No skin off of our backs because we did not expect much from him in the first place. If this happens, we have a high draft pick and it will be easier for the Shannahan’s to pick the QB of the future. We have a full slate of picks in both 2012 and 2013, under this scenario it will be easier to move up in the draft.

The only thing I would be concerned about is the rookie salary cap. More teams are likely to draft a QB high knowing that they are not going to have to pay an arm and a leg to keep him for 4 years. It is very cost advantageous. This means the Skins will have to give up more to move up in the draft. As of right now, we have ammunition.

So, I am on the Beck/Grossman bandwagon. It may not be pretty this year, but in the end it may be considered a win/win situation for the Skins and the fans.

omni...what about this: IMO the Iggles singed VY for two reasons....he does have a winning record - he can get the job down in a pinch; they can extend his contract and then trade him for picks/players. in short, signing him is part of a larger strategy. partly by circumstance (how the draft unfolded) and partly by design...I don't the Skins as having any real plan for QB. in your mind...has the real plan all along been to draft whomever next April?

The problem is here that you are assuming there is a Beck/Grossman bandwagon. What if we don't or can't resign Grossman? Where does that leave us?

omni...what about this: IMO the Iggles singed VY for two reasons....he does have a winning record - he can get the job down in a pinch; they can extend his contract and then trade him for picks/players. in short, signing him is part of a larger strategy. partly by circumstance (how the draft unfolded) and partly by design...I don't the Skins as having any real plan for QB. in your mind...has the real plan all along been to draft whomever next April?
This is the type of strategy the Skins should start to employ. If for no other reason, then to build up draft picks year in and year out.

Provided we have the roster space and said player can contribute at least a little bit while they're here, I think it would be a good long-term philosophical change for the FO.

I don't the Skins as having any real plan for QB. in your mind...has the real plan all along been to draft whomever next April?

Not necessarily 'the plan all along' to draft someone next April. I don't think it is as cut and dry as we make it. Finding a franchise QB is hard and I think that it is just working itself out that way.

If you are going to go with mediocre QB's, why not go with what you have? They know the system If they succeed, then you have some time to find a young guy to groom, if they fail, hello high draft pick.

I don't think bringing in outside competition for place holder is advantageous at this point. After thinking about it further, I don't know that Orton or any other QB would be better for this team in the short term than Beck or Grossman. If we did bring in a guy like Orton, a lot of people would just make excuses for his sub-par play such as 'he doesn't know the system yet.' Viable excuse, but it could also be because he is not very good.

Let this thing play out. I am very happy with the direction we have gone since the end of last season. I think we are in good hands.

This is the type of strategy the Skins should start to employ. If for no other reason, then to build up draft picks year in and year out.

Provided we have the roster space and said player can contribute at least a little bit while they're here, I think it would be a good long-term philosophical change for the FO.

The key here is the guy has to contribute. I think people are really high on the Eagles dealing of their QBs the last two years. They were able to get rid of McNabb because of his past performance and initially the emergence of Kolb. Then Vick came in, played really well, better than Reid or anyone else expected and stole the starting job.

The Eagles, unknowingly, were showcasing Kolb for a future trade. They got a fantastic deal for him. Now, in order for that to happen with Vince Young. Vick will need to go down and go down early enough for Reid to tailor his offense to fit Young. It won't be hard because he did it with Donovan. He has experience with this type of QB.

Young would then have to succeed in every way possible. The Eagles would have to either franchise or sign Young to a longer contract in order to get any value in a trade.

I think getting a return of a draft pick on Young is possible, but not likely. This is a complicated scenario. This whole situation with the Eagles getting draft picks for their QB's has been an abberation and not the norm.

I know the Pats did it with a malcontent in Moss. But outside of these two unique situations, where trouble makers (Vick and Moss) changed their bad habits for their new team, when else has this happened?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.