• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

UPDATE 4/24: "It's Official Now"; Colts Confirm Taking Luck

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7831885

Charade over, Colts must supplement Luck

It’s been a poorly kept secret for a long time.

But now, the Colts have finally informed Andrew Luck he will be the name called with the first pick in the draft, reports ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

We’ve debated the value of not saying it would be Luck. Just Thursday, general manager Ryan Grigson said the team had decided but he wasn’t ready to share.

It was his prerogative, for sure. But it seemed like a game intended to draw maximum attention to Indianapolis and to maximize the opportunities for owner Jim Irsay to hit us with cryptic tweets.

Luck is in the mold of Peyton Manning, and that No. 1 pick in 1998 worked out pretty well. Irsay and the Colts have long envisioned building the franchise, again, around a centerpiece pocket quarterback who will bring a combination of smarts and athleticism.

All indications are that Robert Griffin III is highly regarded too, and is likely to have a great NFL career like Luck. But the same thing was being said about Manning and Ryan Leaf in 1998. Luck and Griffin will have to break with the typical odds for both to hit.

The Colts aren’t concerned with Griffin.

Luck’s their man. It’s official now. It’s time to maximize his resources and get this rebuild started.

Last edited:
woot+cat.jpeg

Excuse me while I pass out and die from shock.

And, almost right on cue, as soon as RGIII is going to be a Redskin, the questions about his "personality" start coming out. The media is so predictable.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7406/robert-griffin-iii

Two scouts expressed to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that they have concerns with Baylor QB Robert Griffin III's attitude.

"He's got a little bit of a selfish streak," said one scout. "Everybody was laying on Cam, but for some reason this guy has become gloves-off. He doesn't treat anybody good." Another scout "questioned the way Griffin deals with people," perhaps referencing RG3's refusal to conduct pre-draft private workouts. We wouldn't read into these opinions. We just found them interesting.

The Fake ESPN‏@TheFakeESPNReply
With RGIII now a sure thing, Grossman prepares to groom him, says first step will be shaving 20% off his completion percentage.

And the negativity keeps on coming: http://dc.sbnation.com/washington-r...70/robert-griffin-iii-redskins-nfl-draft-2012

WOW.

Everybody is just assuming because of the Heisman and the socks and all that bs. . . . they are ignoring a lot of bad tape that he's had. I don't think he has vision or pocket feel, which to me are the two most important components of quarterbacking. He's just running around winging it. He's (Michael) Vick, but not as good a thrower.

As much as is written about his athleticism, his athleticism under duress in the pocket isn't even close to Cam Newton's. This guy, the only way he gets big plays with his feet is if he's got a wide-open field and the sea opens for him. He's got a little bit of a selfish streak, too. Everybody was laying on Cam, but for some reason this guy has become gloves off. He doesn't treat anybody good.

And of course, blood in the water so here comes Chris Russell to chum it up some more:

Baylor HC on ESPN 980 if RGIII was well liked by people at Baylor: "Ahhhh, (hesitates) I mean not a concern. I'm not worried about whether somebody likes somebody or not.Yeah he was respected and he was liked, but that's (hesitates) not a big deal. We're not running a popularity contest. (He's) a fierce competitor w/ a tremendous amount of beliefs."

Right.

The Redskins, and the myriad of people qualified to assess the QB in almost embarrassingly glowing terms, and also willing to put their names beside their comments, are "ignoring a lot of bad tape."

Might as well throw in the small hands issue now.

And those dreads? Clearly a sign of laziness. What, Robert, too lazy to comb?

Love it.

Last edited:
Great post by Grant Paulsen:

Here's what matters: Is he going to out-work everybody else? Is he desperate to win? You know who has huge sense of entitlement? Tom Brady.

Here's another sort-of famous QB who's had clashes with his teammates:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkpOmpGxDHU[/media]

I was telling my buddy a few weeks ago that there was only a love fest with RG3, because the media didn't want to dog him too much in case he went to Indy. I said as soon as it's clear he's going to DC, they will open the floodgates of hatred, and he'll suddenly be a horrible guy. Imagine my surprise :brood:

They just love to hate us, and nothing we do is the right thing to do.

Pardon my paranoia, but I'll wait for next Thursday to call anything, official.

How many people thought that Secret Service personnel would get busted over Colombian hookers a week or so ago?

He'll have to sign a contract before next Thursday, to make it official, before next Thursday.

Then, and only then, will I transfer into, "He's still a rookie who ain't done **** yet!" mode. ;)

And right back at ya.

Scout: Robert Griffin III has 'selfish streak'By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com

By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com

One scout's opinion: Baylor QB Griffin has a 'selfish streak'

Someone, somewhere was bound to find something negative to say about Robert Griffin III eventually. The only surprise is that it took so long.

Take it away, unnamed scout:

"As much as is written about [Griffin's athleticism, his athleticism under duress in the pocket isn't even close to Cam Newton's. This guy, the only way he gets big plays with his feet is if he's got a wide-open field and the sea opens for him. He's got a little bit of a selfish streak, too. Everybody was laying on Cam, but for some reason this guy has become gloves off. He doesn't treat anybody good," the scout told Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

This is only one scout's opinion from the 19 polled in McGinn's annual must read, although another scout questions how Griffin deals with people.

Frankly, this smacks of a scout looking for something negative to see. Draft season usually gets ugly at some point, with everyone looking for flaws. Almost everyone that has met or dealt with Griffin universally praises his character and people skills. He seems as comfortable in his own skin and disciplined as any prospect we can remember.

Before we take any one scout's opinion too seriously, keep in mind that 16 of 24 scouts that McGinn polled last year preferred Blaine Gabbert to Cam Newton. Translation: No one knows anything.

RG3 Scouting Vid

This just in: Two out of nineteen scouts had something negative to say about Griffin. Film at eleven.

Its funny - he compares Griffin to Cam Newton in "presence under pressure." I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts, however, that this same scout was one of the ones bagging Newton before last year's draft.

Nice one, Mike! :)

who cares????????????

shanahan knows. allen knows. snyder knows.

we know.

what these other cats think is irrelevant. you're falling for the trap.

we're gonna get our QB....we're gonna get our QB!!!!!! YA HOO!!!!!!!

SI weighs in. Alot. :)

He's not a Redskin yet, but RG3 is feeling the love from D.C. area

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan (left) is expected to take Robert Griffin III, with the hopes that the Heisman winner can be the franchise QB the team has long needed.
APWe're still a week away from officially knowing Robert Griffin III's fate in the NFL draft, but it sure doesn't feel that way, does it? In many ways, it seems like Griffin became a Redskin the minute Washington and St. Louis executed their blockbuster first-round trade on March 1, and the ensuing seven weeks has been an exercise in introducing fait to accompli.

After all, the Heisman-winning Baylor quarterback has already had a three-hour crash course going over the Redskins playbook on a visit to Waco, Tex. from offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, spent time signing autographs on Redskins memorabilia at a D.C.-area card show, and gotten the full-blown rock star/savior treatment when he visited the nation's capital.

If RG3 somehow doesn't go No. 2 to Washington next Thursday night at Radio City Music Hall in New York -- and all indications are the No. 1 Colts won't stun everyone by passing on Stanford's Andrew Luck to select Griffin -- will it strangely register as a disappointment? I put that rather crazy-sounding question to Griffin Wednesday night by phone, as he began preparing for Thursday's testing session at the Gatorade Sports Science Institute at the IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla.

"I don't know how I'd feel about that, because I've continually said no matter where I go I'll be happy and excited,'' Griffin said. "But when you talk about the fanfare and the fan hype right now, I think it would be very disappointing for Washington D.C. if I didn't get drafted there. Honestly, it was surreal being up there. Because you go to a city you've never lived in, and immediately when you get there you're instantly a star, and you haven't even been drafted there yet.

"I'm not a superstitious guy, but some people say, 'You don't want to jinx this. You don't want to rub (Colts owner Jim) Irsay the wrong way and have him draft you just in spite of Washington.' Have something like that happen. But I think it's good for D.C. to have that kind of excitement. And it's not just about me. It might seem like it's about one guy, but I don't think it is. I think it's about one puzzle piece, because that's all a quarterback is, a puzzle piece. So I wouldn't say stop (to Redskins fans), and I wouldn't say keep going. But I'm not going to shy away from it at this point, just because I have no idea where I'm going, and they don't know where I'm going. But I sure know where they want me to go.''

Did you catch that? Just as he did when I spoke with him during Super Bowl week in Indianapolis, where he was again testing with Gatorade, Griffin has the ability to sound confident, but not cocky. He's self-aware, but not self-absorbed. He realizes the impact he's already had in Washington, within the Redskins organization and on the team's long-suffering fan base. And he's right. Griffin might get over the shock of going to the Colts and roll with it, but I'm not sure the Redskins or their fans will be able to glide right over the disappointment of not getting the chance to watch his career unfold. Washington has go fever when it comes to Griffin.

Not only has Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall already christened Griffin "the Prince of D.C.," but I've even seen those now-iconic Obama "Hope'' posters re-done with Griffin's image emblazoned over that favorite four-letter word of Redskins fans everywhere.

Griffin laughs when I bring up the "Hope'' poster, but if it feels like it's all too much, too soon, I don't detect it in the least.

"As far as signing the Redskins gear at the signing, it was just something we weren't going to turn down,'' Griffin said. "We didn't want to tell them, 'Hey, don't bring any Redskins stuff.' The fans were excited. I saw at least seven variations of my name on a shirt that day. I'm not going to tell them to stop making shirts, or stop being excited, because that's what every organization needs.''

What the Redskins have needed for the past 20 years or so -- since Mark Rypien at least -- is a quarterback with talent, star potential and staying power. Washington head coach Mike Shanahan whiffed on Donovan McNabb in 2010, and came up empty with the mediocre tandem of Rex Grossman and John Beck in 2011. At 11-21 in his first two seasons in D.C., Shanahan can't afford another miss. And that's why Kyle Shanahan was headed to Waco earlier this month, Redskins playbook in hand, even though the draft wasn't for another three weeks.

That kind of pre-draft session with the presumed No. 2 pick is highly unusual, but Griffin said it was just another test, mental this time, in a spring that has been full of such experiences.

"They were just testing my ability to comprehend and then apply that knowledge,'' said Griffin, who has met just once in Waco with Kyle Shanahan, and didn't think any further playbook sessions were planned before the draft. "It's not like they came down and said, 'Hey, here's the playbook. Learn it and in three days we're going to be back.' They were trying to test my ability to learn. Because they've seen what was on the tape, and they know what I can play, now they've just got to see what my head is like, and how fast I learn. What I'm good at learning and what I need help at learning.''

It's unrealistic to say Griffin is already comfortable in Washington's offense, which prioritizes a quarterback's ability to make plays on the move, but it's not going to be completely foreign to him if he winds up being handed a Redskins playbook on draft weekend.

"It's pretty tough to gauge how much of it I know already,'' he said. "By no means did I know what they wanted to do with me specifically within that offense after our session. But I know the offense has a lot of formations, a lot of motion, and they're going to try and disguise things. You can get a base feeling on an offense, but you can't say within three hours I'm familiar with their offense.

"It's an offense that asks the quarterback to specifically stay within the system. I think a lot of good systems do that. If you're going to one-hitch throw here, you do a one-hitch throw here. But once everything breaks down, and you go through all three or four of your reads, that's where you can be creative. I think whenever you can work within the system out, rather than outside the system in, it's better for you. That's what I tried to do at Baylor.''

Griffin's fit in the Redskins offense has been in the headlines this spring, largely because of the critical comments made by McNabb, the former Redskins starter who questioned whether RG3 and Shanahan's offense were a good match. McNabb said Shanahan's ego might not allow him to use Griffin in the best possible ways, a rather transparent reference to his own frustrations during his one failed season in D.C., when he lost his starting job to Grossman.

"All respect to Donovan McNabb, he had a great career,'' said Griffin, when I asked him if he understood McNabb's point. "He was one of my dad's (favorite) quarterbacks when he was a Philly fan. He's not a Philly fan any more, because I'm about to get drafted. But what he (McNabb) said probably did come from a place of just bad taste. He had a bad taste in his mouth from his experience with Coach Shanahan, and I understand that. He never said anything bad about me, he was just trying to warn me, trying to say, 'Don't let egos get in the way.'

"But that's part of the job at quarterback, to be able to manage different types of egos and different types of people. So I'm looking forward to going up there and managing whatever it is that needs to be managed. All respect to Donovan, but it just didn't work out for him in Washington, and that's why he thought it didn't work out.''

With the league's regular season schedule coming out this week, Griffin now knows where he'll make his NFL debut, with the caveat added, once again, of Washington drafting him. The Redskins open in a city very familiar to Griffin, making his future in burgundy seem all the more meant to be.

"It's kind of ironic that if I do end up in Washington, my first game will be in my hometown of New Orleans,'' he said. "That's where my parents were born, that's where they were raised, that's where all my family is. It'll be pretty exciting if that does happen.''

In some ways, it seems like it has to happen. Griffin to the Redskins feels like a done deal, and has for weeks now. Even though he's got another seven days to wait until the foregone conclusion finally gives way to reality.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...9/robert.griffin.iii/index.html#ixzz1sVSIJ9uK

Then there's this. Ugh.

0423_large.jpg

And of course, blood in the water so here comes Chris Russell to chum it up some more:

To be fair, i listened to that interview live the other day.

The quote in text kind of gives a different vibe then when you hear him. In text it sounds like what the coach was saying was people didn't necessarily like him, but that it doesn't matter if people like him. When you listen to his voice, what he was saying is that he wasn't really sure how much people liked him because he doesn't think that matters so he didn't pay attention to it.

I think the two meanings are different. Kind of like how sarcasm doesn't translate in just text very well, neither does tone. The tone was not the way it looks when reading that text.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.