• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Underrated Musicians

Last edited:
The singer for Beardfish and Gungfly (as well as some of the music) brings Ian Anderson and Jethro Tull to mind. I like it :)
Funny you mention Tull. I almost did. I was never really a fan, but back in the day, this little hottie I was wanting to add to the ole belt notch collection invited me to go with her to see them in concert. I still have never owned any of there music, but it was one of the best concerts I ever saw.

They, and her, were both top-notch performers. ;)

The Hold Steady
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isvn_Dsj2bA[/media]

Awesome storytelling band with the added bonus that the pianist looks like Mario :laugh: Epic mustache alert.

They have that early Bruce Springsteen sound to them, great band.

Last edited:
Now I have to find that song, I was enjoying it and it ended. They may have a new fan here.

I'm glad you like it. I'd been hoping and praying a prog band would find me someday, or vice-versa. It's tops on my list of genres (albeit a B R O A D genre!)

While I found and fell in love with King Crimson back in the early half of the nineties (I sought and destroyed [in a good way] their entire discography and saw them many times) I finally let old Genesis into my life about 3 years ago. I'd been told and told to listen, but I didn't have any available head space to take on another monster band.

At any rate- Old Genesis to me is very unsung. You listen, and watch and marvel, and then you realize, "Um, they were all around 22 when they wrote and performed all this stuff." And then you just wanna die. hahaha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKIkzGGAG9s&feature=related

In newer prog- we had the huge honor of opening for Agents of Mercy (also known as Karmakanic, who totally blew my mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWgTIlAafLQ

And then there's the drummer for Agents of Mercy- Nick D'Virgilio- who played with Spock's Beard, who I also really got into in the early 2000's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGvt-xN0rK0&feature=related

But you know, all that said... I love the Beastie Boys, Cyndi Lauper, Etta James and like, Pearl Jam, also, so.... you know... whatever. lol

I'm not sure if you can put any act after 2005 or so into this coversation, as industry splintering due to DRM began... everything became a niche ... Everyone knows label material now is just a watered down version of anything valid that is gaining popularity on their own...

One of the groups that pops into my mind, though is Shudder to Think... Some reviewers thought "Pony Express Record" was one of the best albums of the "post" era. And, of course, Tommy Keene. Go locals!

The Hold Steady
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isvn_Dsj2bA[/media]

Awesome storytelling band with the added bonus that the pianist looks like Mario :laugh: Epic mustache alert.

They have that early Bruce Springsteen sound to them, great band.

A lot more reminiscent of Graham Parker than Springsteen if you ask me :)

I'm glad you like it. I'd been hoping and praying a prog band would find me someday, or vice-versa. It's tops on my list of genres (albeit a B R O A D genre!)

Yeah, there are so many bands that you can place under the prog label. Some great, some horrible. I am just now getting into the older prog stuff. Really liking King Crimson so far, especially Discipline. I have listened to some older Genesis, but it is not resonating with me currently. I try listening to it here and there, just have to be in the mood. I guess I am this way about a lot of older music.

Actually, I just started listening to prog about 5-6 years ago. Most of the bands I listen to are newer. One thing I have found is that I rarely come into contact with a band I love. The vocals always get me. A lot of people do not stand out, but I guess you can say that about music in general.

Of course, I listened and played screaming metal for ten years and did not give anything else a chance. One day I bought a new acoustic and since then my tastes have changed dramatically.

Another problem I am having is when I find a fantastic song, many of that bands other songs are kind of cheesy. For example, I heard The Flower Kings do this awesome song called "Stardust We Are." I love it. But I don't feel that their other songs are on the same level and many of them feel as if they have a message that I don't particularly care for.

But of course, I like darker material. Not into happy go lucky songs. I scour internet boards like "Progressive Ears" and "Prog Archives" to find bands I enjoy.

Anyways, since I talked about it here are The Flower Kings: Stardust We Are

I don't think Alison Krauss gets the credit she deserves. She has won more Grammy's than anyone, I believe.

These statements seem contradictory. If she's won more Grammy's than anybody, then she is getting lots of credit.

Maybe we should define underrated. Rated by whom, peers, critics and industry folk? Or, is this popularity (or lack thereof) based on albums sold?

I wouldn't say Neil Young or the Allman Brothers are underrated either. But maybe that's just me.

Let me throw an oldie out there as underrated: T. Rex.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.