• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

UDFA Info Thread

I'm a pretty hard core Penn State fan, so I've seen quite a bit of Daryll Clark. Here's the best unbiased review I can give you.

PROS
Physically, he's quite a specimen at 6'2", 233 lbs, and is quite mobile for being that big. His strength is his most impressive trait. The guy's biceps are bigger than my thighs, and he crushed all QBs at the combine on the bench.

daryll_clark.jpg

Get your tickets to the GUN SHOW!!

He uses his athleticism well, and by that I mean he uses his mobility to buy more time, always preferring to throw than run, and was often able to shed an arm tackle or two to buy more time, similar to how Big Ben does. Quick enough to scramble for the first down when things break down, and was very effective running near the goal line (7 rushing TDs as a Senior, 9 as a Junior).

In terms of his passing, he's been on of the most productive QBs we've ever had at Penn State, but keep in mind that we're a run-first, play-defense type of team. He was a starter for only two seasons, but his 5,742 career passing yards is good for 3rd all time at Penn State behind Zack Mills and Tony Sacca who were both 4 year starters. His 3,007 yards his senior season was the most by any Penn State quarterback.

Great arm strength, throws a nice deep ball and when he has room, really steps into a throw and puts impressive zip on it. Decent accuracy on mid-range passes, leads receivers well.

Mentally, he's rock solid. Outstanding leader, both emotionally and through his work ethic. Incredibly intelligent, film junkie, workout warrior, and a dedicated student of the game.

CONS
Against great defenses, he really struggled, particularly in his accuracy. In two career games against Ohio State (the best defense we play each year), he averaged only 120 yards a game. In both losses last year (Ohio State & Iowa), he completed less 43% of his passes, though you could make a strong case for weather being a factor at Iowa because it really was windy as hell, yet we kept on throwing the ball for some reason.

When he misses, he tends to miss high, and has balls sail on him which led to many of his INTs. Lacks touch on short pass at times, seems more comfortable throwing mid-range passes. His wind up and delivery is a bit long-winded, especially when going deep, but he's quicker than Campbell. Occasionally holds the ball away from his body and had it slapped away a few times.

A fierce competitor, but needs to be sure to reign his emotions in when things go bad. Sometimes in a close game after throwing a pick, you see him on the bench and he seriously looks like he's about to kill somebody. He's never blown up or had a meltdown of any kind, but it's appeared several times that he may have been on the brink.

COMPARE TO
Byron Leftwich.

--------

I think he'd be worth bringing in and see if he can make the roster. Not sure if they'd keep 4 QBs on the roster, but I'd love to see him compete for a spot. He's all you look for in a leader, on and off the field, and he has the potential to be a really solid quarterback in this league if he continues to work on perfecting his game, which I know he will.

Highlights

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to say thanks Lanky. I heard we had picked up a few of these guys, but not all.

I am surprised by the Slocum pick. His highlight reels do not look to swift and he seems to have poor character. I wonder what they see in him.

Updated - RB Tony Nelson from UMass invited to try out.

And you're welcome to everyone, no big deal. I like learning about all the new players.

to me so far so good and again it,s a wait and see of course but i like what i,m seeing thus far.

First,whats up with all these short receivers? I thought WCO needed big guys?

Not surprised Kubiak coming here. Normally a coach will ask a buddy to sign their kid as a favor. Would not have looked right if the went to Houston.

First,whats up with all these short receivers? I thought WCO needed big guys?

Austin looks like a kick returner, and probably won't see much PT outside of teams, if he makes the roster. As far as Townsel is concerned, I guess the coaches see something?

Not surprised Kubiak coming here. Normally a coach will ask a buddy to sign their kid as a favor. Would not have looked right if the went to Houston.

you're right about him not going to hou, riggo. but i'll bet dad didn't have to even ask the shannys for a favor... kubiak doesn't have alot of speed as i recall, but he has that coach's son attitude. hopefully there's a diamond in the rough among this batch of UDFAs.

Great work, LL ... many thanks. :)

Updated with the signing of Trey Jacobs, DT from Liberty.

Updated to reflect the team confirming the signings of Williams and Paulsen.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Redskins_Add_Galloway_to_Wide_Receiver_Corps_116570.jsp

The team also signed a pair of undrafted rookies, tight end Logan Paulsen of UCLA and running back Keiland Williams of LSU...

Paulsen, 6-5 and 264 pounds, played college football at UCLA, where he totaled 71 career catches for 888 yards (12.5 avg.) and one touchdown. As a senior, Paulsen caught 29 passes for 362 yards.

Williams, 5-11 and 223 pounds, played in 47 career games at LSU, with three starts. He rushed for 1,699 yards and 17 touchdowns on 299 carries, a 5.7 yards-per-carry average, and caught 28 passes for 273 yards (9.8 avg.) and two touchdowns.

Daryll Clark reminds me of Jason Campbell.

How so? He actually reminds me more of McNabb. Just watching the highlights on you tube, it seems like Clark's release is a lot quicker than Campbell's, plus he does not look like an albatross when he is running.

I am not sure how smart or how accurate he is, but I hope he manages to stick around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.