• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Typical Redskins move in RGIII contract hold-up

Lanky Livingston

According to Tandler's Real Redskins, offset language is the hold-up in RGIII's contract negotiations.

The length and money are set - 4 years, $21M (give or take a couple cents). Offset language means if they release him before 4 years is up, any guaranteed money left on the contract will be offset by the team that signs him.

There is less than ice cube's chance in hell that they release him before 4 years, but both sides want to set precedent. Only the Redskins would have contract negotiations stalled on something that will NEVER EVER HAPPEN. This team is so frustrating sometimes...

Cuts both ways don't it?

Why's Griffin refusing to sign off on something that will NEVER EVER HAPPEN?

Griffin has all the leverage here. He knows he will never be released, and he's the "savior of the franchise." We traded a boatload of #1s just to draft him! Just friggin' sign him already!

You're going to make one of the more massive trades in NFL history to sign a guy, call him the franchise savior, praise him all over town, and THEN play hardball? Makes me wonder if Cerrato is still in charge.

Actually, I think the typical Redskins would have just thrown bags of money at him without thinking of future consequences. This sounds like a Redskin team that's thinking about more than the present, for once.

That said, they better get this figured out. A Griffin holdout would be disastrous. We just can't afford to have him behind the learning curve.

Actually, I think the typical Redskins would have just thrown bags of money at him without thinking of future consequences. This sounds like a Redskin team that's thinking about more than the present, for once.

Well, I agree that would have been the typical Redskins move in the past; however even Snyderatto couldn't do that anymore with slotted salaries in place. The money and term are essentially set for them; and the hold-up is about something that will never happen.

I understand worrying about the future, but make a compromise and get this thing signed. This contract can't be used by Joe Blow as a precedent, because there will likely never be another guy we trade 17 thousand firsts for ever again. He is unique, and so is his contract situation.

That said, they better get this figured out. A Griffin holdout would be disastrous. We just can't afford to have him behind the learning curve.

Yep. A holdout would be terrible on so many levels. Not really the message anyone wants to send.

Well, I agree that would have been the typical Redskins move in the past; however even Snyderatto couldn't do that anymore with slotted salaries in place. The money and term are essentially set for them; and the hold-up is about something that will never happen.

Oh, don't be so sure. If he crashes and burns four seasons is a LONG time to hold onto the guy.

I understand worrying about the future, but make a compromise and get this thing signed. This contract can't be used by Joe Blow as a precedent, because there will likely never be another guy we trade 17 thousand firsts for ever again. He is unique, and so is his contract situation.

That's a good point. Though if he does suck we'll probably be signing another high draft pick soon after, so you never know. :)

Oh, don't be so sure. If he crashes and burns four seasons is a LONG time to hold onto the guy.

He won't crash and burn. HE CAN'T, DAMMIT!

That's a good point. Though if he does suck we'll probably be signing another high draft pick soon after, so you never know. :)

Not a first rounder anytime soon!

Eh, I'm more concerned about getting LeRibeus in.

Griffin is not an issue.

Some third-rounders out-performed their contracts last year, so now the players feel like they are undervalued in that position. Here is an article about it: http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-...hird-round-issues-delayed-tj-graham-deal.html
He obviously feels like he's a good player, worthy of being taken higher. So long as he plays like it, he'll get the big bucks with his next contract. Missing ANYTHING right now, is a setback for him. Unless he's our new Russ Grimm.

Typical fan over-reaction to a non-story based on little-to-no real information? :)

LL, we don't have any idea what factors may or may not be involved in the "hold up." All we have to go on is what the team and RG3's agent have allowed the media to hear.

You do have to admit there are factors involved in this that we can't possibly know, right?

We don't know what protocols the NFL is following regarding this post-CBA issue...

We don't know how much of this is the agent's posturing for his own career benefit vs RG3's...

We don't know what/when any "real" deadline the Skins might be worried about is...training camp doesn't even start for another week.

That's hardly an exclusive list of factors...but I'm not going to insult anyone's intelligence by trying to cover more. Particularly given it's the factors we DON'T have any inkling about that may be what's causing this "holdup."

My uneducated guess is that the Skins know full well what the agent is doing, and why, and when they'll decide having RG3 in uniform is worth more to them than taking their time to balance what their own and the NFL's legal eagles are doing to address the the "offset" issue, both specifically in RG3's case and generally going forward, as well as whatever other factors are in play that you, me, Florio, Tandler and the rest of the universe have no clue about.

But I say that knowing it's an uneducated guess.

Just strikes me as a complete knee-jerk reaction to decide that this is in any way something the Skins are screwing up.

I'm fine with whatever their problems are; until camp starts.
I want him in camp on day one. If that doesn't happen, then I blame both parties involved.

Is this going to turn into another Shuler/Frerrotte situation and by season's end Kirk Cousins will be starting after Shuler held out?

China, you like that idea?

Is this going to turn into another Shuler/Frerrotte situation and by season's end Kirk Cousins will be starting after Shuler held out?

China, you like that idea?

Only the Redskins could have a lengthy holdout in the slotted-salaries era...sigh.

I'm fine with whatever their problems are; until camp starts.
I want him in camp on day one. If that doesn't happen, then I blame both parties involved.

Agree with the first part. If he's not on the field on day one of camp next week I'm not happy.

Going to reserve judgment on the second part. If the Skins have made every reasonable effort to get it done, and the reason it ISN'T done is somethink like RG3's agent still more worried about "precedent" or how own career is impacted, then I'm not happy but not blaming the team. Takes 2 to tango. Anything else is necrophelia.

Agree with the first part. If he's not on the field on day one of camp next week I'm not happy.

See my response above: he was supposed to report yesterday morning. :)

I saw you response above. Already made my point. Unlike some people I won't say it over and over and over, using slightly different words, until the original point is lost in the fog. Particularly since it was blithely ignored the first time.

So there. :)

I saw you response above. Already made my point. Unlike some people I won't say it over and over and over, using slightly different words, until the original point is lost in the fog. Particularly since it was blithely ignored the first time.

So there. :)

Ha! Well, you said you'd be unhappy if he wasn't there on day one of camp. Well, day one of camp (for rookies) has come and gone (day two as well, for those keeping count), with no RGIII. I guess your drop-dead day is when EVERYONE has to report, but technically he is already a holdout.

Day One of camp. Correct. Training camp.

Which starts next week.

Some hairs shouldn't need to be split. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.