• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Twitter: Hightower - "I'm baaaaaaaack"

I'm glad he's back. He's a great player, and it was nice to see some solid running out of him before the injury. In hindsight though, maybe it was a good thing, because it let us see what we had in Helu, which was a joyride in itself. This is the position I am the least concerned about on our roster.

Bell had 920 yards and 8TDs in 05, and 100 more yards but 6 less TDs in 06. I wouldn't call that improvement - it's a lateral step at best, but personally I would call 6 less TDs & almost a full yard less per carry a decline.

But you suggested he faded away under Shanahan, not slightly dropped off. But I guess I am nitpicking now so I will leave it alone.

My question here is this.

How many RBs is-or should-Shanny going to have on the roster?

My question here is this.

How many RBs is-or should-Shanny going to have on the roster?

We got a NFCE prediction thread going, so here goes.

On opening day in New Orleans there will be 3 or 4 depending how you classify the FB:

Helu
Royster
Morris
Young (FB)

Hightower is on the PUP list. Morris will be given a chance here. We can stash TH but on the PUP list, but Morris could easily get snatched from the practice squad.

RB's don't often get snatched off of someones Practice Squad and put on the 53-man roster so I wouldn't really worry about Morris.

And WHERE is everyone getting this info that Hightower is going to start the season on the PUP list? Why on earth would you re-sign him now if he's not even going to be healthy by Training Camp? This just doesn't add up.

And WHERE is everyone getting this info that Hightower is going to start the season on the PUP list? Why on earth would you re-sign him now if he's not even going to be healthy by Training Camp? This just doesn't add up.

Don't you know ? It's written in the Code, than fans are never allowed to believe that an NFL player can come back 100% from a knee injury.

RB's don't often get snatched off of someones Practice Squad and put on the 53-man roster so I wouldn't really worry about Morris.

Yeah, this is kind of how I feel about it. I think Shanahan has made a career of stashing RBs on the practice squad - most teams know they're only a good fit for the ZBS, so that instantly cuts the number of teams in half*.

*no idea how many teams actually run the ZBS scheme.

Why on earth would you re-sign him now if he's not even going to be healthy by Training Camp? This just doesn't add up.

The same way you would sign Maake Kemoeatu when he was still recovering from injury unsure if he was going to be ready for the start of the season. You sign a player at a good value to see if he can play. If he can't, you either cut him or stash him if he's good enough/if possible.

Hightower garnered very little interest from other teams because of his injury, so we more than likely got him on the cheap with the hope that he will be healthy by the start of the season.

What I can't understand is why you guys think Hightower was that good for us? He was not bad, but in 5 starts his numbers were not as good as Royster's. He never was great in Arizona either.

Hightower - 84 rushes for 321 yards 1 TD
Royster - 54 rushes for 328 yards

Lanky, does that one TD make Hightower that much more valuable? I mean Royster had a 5.9 yard avg per carry... TH had a 3.8. Does the 1 TD make up for it? Or is Hightower going to have a drop off because Shanahan RB's fade away?

Of course I was making a prediction. I am not a football expert, so I don't claim to know more than most of you guys here. You don't like the claim, you don't have to agree.

I like the signing, but only because I believe we signed him to a very limited contract. The truth about this signing will not be known until we see the numbers. If it was indeed a minimum contract, he gives us some veteran leadership over the possibility of going into the season with two one year RB's and a rookie, but he wasn't a great RB for us so the slobbering over this signing is confusing to me.

I personally am not a huge Hightower fan El, except for his pass-pro. I think we should surround RGIII with the very best blockers possible; if that means re-signing Tim Hightower, then so be it.

Other than that, I agree with you. I think Hightower was not that great for us last year. I would, however, give him the benefit of the doubt over a possible flash-in-the-pan rookie who had some success in a limited role.

I think Helu starts the year as the top guy on the depth chart but that both Hightower and Royster see time.

From Dan Graziano on the NFC East Blog:

Three different running backs had a total of six 100-yard rushing games for the Washington Redskins in 2011. In spite of being the starting running back for the first four games of the season and five of the first six, Tim Hightower was not one of those three. But assuming he's fully recovered from the knee injury that ended his season in October, Hightower, who has agreed to terms on a contract to return to Washington, is the favorite to be the starting running back when the Redskins open the 2012 season.

I've written this before, and likely will again, but every time I do somebody says, "Nunh-uh. Roy Helu is the guy. And Evan Royster looked good at the end of the year" or something like that. And long-term, Helu might be the guy. And Royster did look good at the end of the year. But I'm telling you -- and I am not just speculating here -- that the guy Mike Shanahan and the Redskins' coaches like as the starting running back, assuming everyone's healthy, is Hightower.

Shanahan sees Hightower as the most complete of the running backs on his roster. He may not be as explosive or dynamic a runner as Helu is, but he's a dirty-work guy who runs it just fine, catches the ball well out of the backfield and excels in pass protection as a blocker. This last point is likely the most important, since I don't know if you heard but the Redskins just spent four very high draft picks on a new rookie quarterback and likely rank his protection among their most important 2012 responsibilities. Shanahan and his coaches think very highly of Helu and Royster and probably rookie Alfred Morris, too, and they'll surely find plenty of carries and catches and responsibilities for all of them as the year goes along. But as long as they're sure Hightower's surgically repaired ligament isn't hindering him, he's the best bet to be running with the first team in August and September.

Now, the disclaimer: As anyone who plays fantasy football can tell you, predicting what Shanahan will do with his running backs from week to week is risky and sometimes foolish work. Part of the issue is Shanahan believes his zone-blocking schemes, when properly executed, have as much to do with his running backs' fine statistics as do the backs themselves. The Redskins tell their new offensive linemen that they can make stars out of running backs, and on a game-to-game basis last year they kind of did. Ryan Torain didn't get a single carry in the first three games of 2011. In Week 4 in St. Louis (granted, against an all-time lousy run defense), he got 19 carries and rushed for 135 yards. He would gain a total of 65 yards on 40 carries over the entire rest of the season.

So the 100-yard games Helu produced in Weeks 12-14, and the two 100-yard games Royster came up with in the final two weeks of the season, look real nice on paper. But Shanahan's not looking at those numbers. He sees a couple of young backs who have more work to do before they're as complete a back as Hightower already is. He sees Hightower as the guy he can plug into that zone-blocking run game and not have to teach him on the fly. There is absolutely nothing to say Helu or Royster or both can't become that kind of a back at some point in the future, or even by the end of this season. But as of right now, assuming full health and all else being equal, the Redskins' starting running back would be Hightower. And if you brought up the 100-yard game thing, I'm sure they'd tell you that Hightower's just as likely to get 100 yards in a game as any of those other backs are in this offense. And that they don't much care about that sort of thing anyway.

Maybe Dan is right and I'm wrong. Very possible. But I know what I saw last season and the stats bare it out. Helu averaged more yards from scrimmage per carry, got stuffed less, had nearly the same average yards per reception on nearly 5x the catches and by the end of the season appeared as capable in pass protection.

*shrug*

But, as a Fantasy Football owner of Helu last year, I can tell you that the most important point he makes in that whole piece is that no one but Shanahan knows what Shanahan will do with his RBs on game day.

Neo....I too thought Helu looked more dynamic than Hightower. But as Graziano points out, there are layers to this.

For one, the OL was coming together toward the end of the year, and both Helu and Royster benefitted from that. We'll never know if Hightower would have faired better, equally or worse.

Also, as Graziano points out, Hightower brings a known element to the table that Helu and Royster have yet to prove---balance across all responsibities.

I came away from the brief Hightower Experience last year slightly disappointed --- he didn't have the power/burst I was hoping to see, but also wanting to see more of him as the offense "gelled" over the course of a season. So what I think I want now is to at least see him get a chance to show his stuff with an O that has the potential to spread the field and open some lanes---things RG3 will hopefully spark with his downfield passing threat.

All of which is to say ... you're right. It's more a *shrug* than a *woot!* given we really have no ****ing clue what Shanny will do with the RB's from week to week. All we really know today is that Hightower will get a chance to show he can be part of the rotation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.