• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Turning point in game ?

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
After the Vikes seemed to march downfield, at will, on their first 3 possessions, while the Skins first couple possessions were perhaps their most inept of the year, many fans probably expected a blowout by the Vikes, and many Skins fans probably had already written off the game AND the season.

So, what would you say was the turning point in the game ?

I'd have to say that ballsy move by coach to go for it on 4th and 3, when we're down 9-0. Normally, you don't go for it when you're down by that little points, that early in the game, and when you have that far to go for the first down, AND you're already in FG range. But coach clearly saw there desperately needed to be a momentum shift, and I believe that's the reason for going for it, not because 9-0 is virtually an insurmountable lead in the 1st quarter for ANY team.

And it worked. Momentum shifted. No, it didn't merely shift. Momentum swung like a pendulum to the opposite end of the spectrum and it stayed there. It could not have worked more perfectly than it did.

The 4th down call was brilliant. And not just because we made the first down, or even got a score out of it :) It was the right thing to do. Shanahan could have easily rationalized, "Well, technically the Vikes havn't scored a TD on us yet, so why not just kick a FG, as this could end up a battle of FG's". But he didn't take the wuss move. He did the smart thing.

So, that's my turning point. Agree or disagree ?

Last edited:
I could see that being the turning point. Mine would be the 50 yard field goal.

They really needed to do something to stop the Vikings from scoring unanswered points. I really think you have a point Fear.

Well, since they ended up getting a field goal on the 4th & 3 drive anyway, I don't know if that was a turning point. Personally, I think the game turned when Ponder flubbed the ball straight into the air, Lorenzo caught it, and they scored a play later to go up 17-9.

Well, since they ended up getting a field goal on the 4th & 3 drive anyway, I don't know if that was a turning point. Personally, I think the game turned when Ponder flubbed the ball straight into the air, Lorenzo caught it, and they scored a play later to go up 17-9.

You bring up another great point.

Lorenzo.

This man deserves his own thread.

He also deserves a shot at starting LB.

He also deserves a contract extension, AND raise.

He also deserves to have his own fan club, and thousands of man-crushes.

He also deserves all kinds of awards, kudos, "game balls", and accolades for both his versatility and consistently impressive play.

Momentum had swung by that point Lanky. That 4th and 3 really brought the crowd to life. If we had been down more points, I think it would have meant less, but it was points at a time when we needed points.

As for Lorenzo Alexander, after yesterday's performance don't be surprised to see him at the OLB position more often. He was more effective there than either Wilson or Jackson.

Momentum had swung by that point Lanky. That 4th and 3 really brought the crowd to life. If we had been down more points, I think it would have meant less, but it was points at a time when we needed points.

As for Lorenzo Alexander, after yesterday's performance don't be surprised to see him at the OLB position more often. He was more effective there than either Wilson or Jackson.

In my opinion, there can be momentum swings that aren't turning points - INTs that don't lead to points, for example. Or a forced fumble and then the offense goes 3-and-out the next series. They got the 4th and 3, but ended up with only 3 points to show for it, so momentum went back to zero.

I guess you could say the Lorenzo fumble recovery was a result of that momentum, but that was a make-or-break point. If the Vikes drive the field there and go up 12-3 or even 16-3, Skins are in trouble. Instead, they take the ball right back and score. Potential 14-point swing, and they never looked back.

Turning point? Easy. The moment it was decided Griff was starting and not watching the game in street clothes.

Turning point? Easy. The moment it was decided Griff was starting and not watching the game in street clothes.

I applaud your enthusiasm, loyalty, and optimism, and assume there's a small degree of humorous sarcasm in your statement, but nonetheless, Griff also started and played the whole game healthy, in the losses to both the lowly Rams and Bengals :)

Last edited:

Lorenzo may not have the physical skillset that Wilson and Jackson possess, but I trust him more in coverage. He's a smarter player, and I expect him to at least be in position to make a play in a ball most of the time. I'd honestly have no issue seeing him start at OLB for the rest of the year.

I applaud your enthusiasm, loyalty, and optimism, and assume there's a small degree of humorous sarcasm in your statement, but nonetheless, Griff also started and played the whole game healthy, in the losses to both the lowly Rams and Bengals :)

Fear, my point is that without Griff we loose this game. Period. Not even a chance of a win. No opportunity for an "in game" turning point at all.

RGIII's TD run.

The game was slipping away...he sealed the deal.
This was the point I was about to say was missed by all. The momentum shift early in the game didn't stick. They almost came back to beat us. Without that run by Griff, I'm pretty close to certain we would have blown the lead and ended up with a loss.

Speaking of the TD run - not sure if you can definitively say one thing or another was the turning point, but the thing we can all agree on was that our franchise QB did what a franchise QB is supposed to do - drove the nail in the other team's coffin when they were threatening to come back. How many times have Brady or Manning or Rodgers just put their foot on an opponents' throat when they were threatening to climb back into the game?

This is what elite QBs do!

Last edited:
... 50 yd kick for three points.

A torment of inconsistency, our kicking game... was eased for just a moment. The new guy made it look easy. "We now have that option" had to be a big time positive.

Get into range and the new guy can do it, something that we have not had for a while.
If Kai can be counted on.... the early returns are positive, then we have just added another weapon.

The kickoff thing remains to be seen but our coverage is a relatively strong ... knock a few returners into submission , who knows what can happen.

The fourth down move was "bold", had it not been made it was early enough to still recoup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.