• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Trent Murphy's Future With Redskins

Bulldog

The Legend
Reaction score
Ryan Kerrigan with 9.5 sacks despite injuries in 2015 was signed to a long-term deal he deserves. Preston Smith took over the other OLB spot down the stretch and finished with 8.0 sacks, which lead rookies.

Meanwhile, #2 pick Trent Murphy from 2014 now appears set to be a backup at OLB heading into camp in 2016.

But Chris Cooley brought up an interesting idea on his radio show. How about a position change?

Cooley thought Murphy could transition to being an inside linebacker in the 3-4 and really help the team down the middle in terms of run support where we finished 25th in 2015.

While there are some issues with Trent in coverage due to foot speed, Cooley thought Barry could scheme to minimize Murphy's weaknesses as he would be a first and second down performer there and most likely subbed out on long-yardage passing downs in favor of another corner or DL.

The other thought was Murphy at 6'5 and 265 could work up to 280 and find a spot as a 'rover' at DE and inside at DT in passing downs as an inside rusher.

Thoughts?

Scot and Co. didn't draft Murphy, he was a legacy player. But he's a high work ethic player with good football instincts.

But he clearly doesn't fit as an impact OLB in this defense.

Seems like the logical solution.
You certainly don't want a player of that talent level, just sitting on the bench.
You either find another practical use for him elsewhere, or see if you can get a valuable player in return, by trading him.

Murphy fits the bill for what McL wants in a football player but he is not talented enough athletically to play OLB in a 34 scheme. He belongs inside.

Well there's this from Tandler: ... get Trent Murphy into the weight room and add about 15 pounds and covert him into a (still somewhat undersized) end.

link: Looking ahead: Redskins 2016 depth chart projection, defense | Rich Tandler's Real Redskins

Somewhat undersized? Somewhat an understatement. Tandler was talking about him being one of the three down lineman. Even with more weight, going from a standing guy to one with his hand(s) on the ground isn't as easy as it sounds. More likely, Scot makes a lineman a priority in April.

And then there's this by Murphy: ...but now I’m thinking about staying lean and quick, especially with the way the league is going anymore...

Link: Trent Murphy Will Use Offseason To Get 'Lean And Quick'

Preston Smith outplayed Murphy at the outside LB spot opposite Ryan. I'm not sure if Trent gets as much turf time as he did in 2015 if he goes lean .

He's probably better off gaining the weight. Not only could they possibly use him as a DE against a TE but he'd be better suited as an ILB against the run also. The Skins run D was pretty bad overall on the front line but they didn't get a lot of help at the second level either. I don't see Trent pushing OT's around even if he bulked up the extra 15#'s or so. Rob Jackson was that guy kinda who they could move around @ about 260 but he played a lot stronger and had an advantage of playing in a 4-3.

When March rolls around and FA begins, would you trade Trent if someone offers their second rounder?

I would, absolutely. He doesn't really fill a need, they have guys that can do what he can. Maybe he is the odd man out. I think he would do better in a base 4-3 playing on the edge.

I was talking about this a couple weeks ago...I do not see Trent Murphy on this roster at the beginning of next season. Looks like Gallette wants to come back, and we need a true ILB beside Will Compton...Mason Foster may even be that guy.

I thought last year he might be a better ILB than Outside. I'd like to see him tried there but I'm getting less certain he has a future here...

I thought last year he might be a better ILB than Outside. I'd like to see him tried there but I'm getting less certain he has a future here...

I thought they had already shifted him around a little prior to this season...I know Haslett had him as a DE, which he could not handle.

They used Trent as a ILB after Riley went down occasionally. It looked like that is what he is best suited for. He may not be best suited for the Redskins in that position but it seems to be where he should play.

When March rolls around and FA begins, would you trade Trent if someone offers their second rounder?

Good Lord yes. I would be thrilled with a 4th at this point. I thank the Bruce for Breeland, but am so, SO glad McL is in charge of drafting now. Not that he is going to be 100% or anything, or even close to it, but the Murphy pick was always a bit of a head scratcher.

I haven't read anything that suggests the team is unhappy with Murphy. He doesn't generate enough pressure, but that doesn't mean he isn't valuable to the rotation. McCloughan doesn't give up on young players. He will at least play out his contract. If they find other positions for him to contribute at, that's a good thing.

I think the reason Murphy could be expendable is because of the talent we'll have at that position next year. Junior Gallettee should be a certain signing, Preston Smith on the other side, and there were a couple injuries of other guys who got playing time at OLB over Murphy, Jeffocat being one of them.

If he can transition to the inside and play special teams as he has, I have no problem keeping him...I just think it's a numbers thing.

I don't think it's a good idea to bank on a player (Gallette) who's coming off a season-ending injury.
Seems more prudent to make sure he can come back 100% and fully strong and stay that way for a period of time, before we start dropping players, in favor of him.

Last edited:
I dont think Murphy is going anywhere yet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.