• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Trent Murphy signed per Redskins.com

You can get a pretty good idea by looking at the contracts of the 45-50th players drafted last year. 4 years, $4M seems to be about right.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

It's amazing how cheaply these first year players come since the new CBA.

On another note, I came across a list of the worst contracts in NFL history. Yes, Al is on there. But the following shocks me, and I thought I knew a ton about the team. Could this possibly be true?

25. Donovan McNabb
Year: 2010
Contract: 5 years, $78 million ($40 million guaranteed)
Team: Washington Redskins

When the Washington Redskins gave a contract extension to Donovan McNabb worth $78 million and nearly $40 million guaranteed in the middle of the 2010 regular season, he was having his worst year ever. While he was on pace to eclipse the 4,000-yard mark for the first time in his career, his touchdown-interception ratio and practically every other statistical category was abysmal. At nearly 34 years old, it was probably time for the 'Skins to go in another direction and think toward the future, but instead, they handed McNabb a lucrative deal that he was not going to live up to.

One month later, head coach Mike Shanahan demoted Donovan to third string while making Rex Grossman the team's starting quarterback because that makes a whole lot of sense. But Shanahan and the rest of the front office making completely idiotic decisions aren't anything new, just look how they handled the whole RGIII injury situation.

25. Donovan McNabb ? The 25 Worst NFL Contracts of All Time | Complex

Did we really pay McNabb $40 million? That's more than Haynesworth stole.

Did we really pay McNabb $40 million? That's more than Haynesworth stole.

I must've blocked that from memory, I've got no recollection of that. Nobody can be that stupid, right? Does not give me the warm fuzzies about Allen.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I don't remember the details but I do seem to remember the deal being very low-risk for the Redskin, so much so that it was surprising that McNabb actually signed it. I'm guessing the numbers in that article are practically meaningless.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Yep. Here you go:

Redskins Have Out Clause In McNabb Contract « CBS New York

LANDOVER, Md. (AP) — Nothing is straightforward about Donovan McNabb these days. It turns out the $40 million he is supposed to be guaranteed in his new contract could turn out to be a mere $3.5 million.

McNabb’s agent, Fletcher Smith, clarified some of the details of McNabb’s deal Tuesday. He says while the contract is worded so that it has “$40 million in guarantees,” the Redskins do have an option to cut McNabb at the end of the season with no further money due.

McNabb receives a $3.5 million bonus this year as part of the new agreement, but the rest of the five-year, $78 million package would come to naught if the team decides to cut ties.

The clause essentially gives the Redskins seven more games to decide if McNabb is truly the quarterback to lead the team under coach Mike Shanahan. Shanahan infamously benched McNabb in the final 2 minutes of a loss to Detroit two weeks ago, but the contract extension was supposed to solidify the relationship between the team and the quarterback.

Knowing what we know now, that contract was obviously a 'start playing the way we coach you and you get this money' deal. He didn't and he was cut. No muss no fuss. Including McNabb's contract on that list is just plain ignorant, probably fueled by some good old-fashioned Snyder ax-grinding.

Thanks for finding that Henry. I might have thrown up otherwise.

What a really love about these rookie contracts is how quickly they are signed now. There are virtually no hold outs for rookies. Get them signed, get them in camp, and get them playing. Now, they are getting signed prior to OTAs. That's even better.

There is a breakdown now of Trent's contract @ Spotrac.

The math comes out to total guaranteed money - signing bonus exactly equals his year two base salary, so my guess is that is the balance of the guarantee.
The third year says a tad under $230K. Well, that's not right and the contract doesn't total right if add the balance noted above to their third year number so I am thinking that is just some kinda goof.
You can get to a pretty reasonable number using the rest of the numbers though. $826,721 seems to fit and tally's up with everything else they have.

YearBaseSigning Bonus Proration
20171,030,079 393,437
Total>2,900,1601,573,751

Salary (2,900,160) + (1,573,751) = 4,473,908 [2,197,111 guaranteed less signing bonus 1,573,751 is 623,360]

link: Trent Murphy Contracts, Salaries, Cap Hits, & News Profile

(they'll probably fix it by the time anyone goes there and everyone will think I'm a dunce...been thought of worse...as recently as today)

I like pay for play rather than pay for putting up combine numbers.

quick question

if all our draftees sign on the dotted line how does it affect our cap space?

I agree it is good to see so many sign propmptly.

quick question

if all our draftees sign on the dotted line how does it affect our cap space?

I agree it is good to see so many sign promptly.

About zero on the 51. Long is on the bubble @ 51. When Moses signs, his cap number for this year won't be more than about $6K at the most over Long's. Moses cap number goes to #51 (maybe $580K). Longs $574K comes off. The cap space reduction is the difference - six thousand. All other rookies are well below the threshold.

On the 53, those guys salaries are less than those on the 51 man roster so it is a cap credit when that happens down the road.

Don't worry about the cap - seems only the media is a frenzy not realizing that for every add to the list of the 51 man roster somebody has to come off taking that cap number with them. The cap hit is the difference between the two; the guy coming on the the roster and the old #51 guy coming off whose now #52 and doesn't count anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.