• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Tragedy

RG3 Fan

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Baylor
How do we create such monsters?

We always want to explain these kinds of awful things. I think a possible explanation is that evil really does exist, and that some people fall under it's spell. 'Evil' may be one of the most difficult words in the english language to define. Is it an entity with a life and force all it's own, is it a culmination of a thousand life experiences that drive someone from light, kindness, and humanity to horrific acts of inhumanity, or is it the result of some genetic defect or physiological gap in a human?

I don't know. What I do know is that there is no explaining this kind of action in any way that could ever be comprehensible to a normal human being. What I always wonder at with these kinds of situations is how an individual capable of such acts could go undetected by those that surrounded him/her every day? I cannot imagine that it was not clear that something was horribly wrong with this individual. Yet, as with lots of other cases, no one was able to act to avert the end result. I think in some ways, our open culture, where curtailing of our individual freedoms is (rightfully) so important, makes it much more difficult to identify and restrain individuals who are so sick before they perform horrible deeds. That's probably why such phenomenon occur primarily in the United States.

How do we create such monsters? I might rephrase 'How are such monsters created?' Perhaps they aren't created at all, but are born missing the capacity for humanity. I don't know.

Boone I agree with much of what you said, but it is not completely unique to the United States. A few years ago 19 Kindergarteners were killed at a school in Scotland. Just last week 30 students were stabbed in China.

Mental health services in our country are severely lacking. As an educator I have seen over the years multiple times where parents refuse to accept how serious the problem is with their child and don't get help. This mother pulled Adam out of Newtown schools because she was not happy with the plans the school had for her son. Tragic.

This is a very big struggle for me, as i dont think people are looking in the right direction when they want to figure out situations like this. They look at the suspect and try to figure it out, instead of looking in a mirror. We all can be there for people a little better. We can nod at people when they make eye contact. We can help a friend out when it's necessary, or better yet when it isnt necessary. Parents can make sure they spend more time with their kids.

One thing that's kept me sane over the years has been fishing. I LOVE to fish, and i'm forever in debt to my dad for getting me interested in fishing, and my mother making sure she took me out to the lake anytime she could. I'm in a fishing club that is dedicated to charity, it's a not for profit, and it's all about getting kids out to have fun.

A staggering stat we have come to learn is that something like only 2% of teens who are serving jail time, have a hunting or fishing license... .2%. There is more we can all do for everyone around us. It's can be something as small as a birthday wish on a facebook wall, or a random phone call just to catch up. The other thing we can do is make sure we're open with others with our own issues... it's a level to relate to and you never know what others are going through at any given time, and while they may not have the 'same' issues, just seeing other peoples issues can help them realize they're not alone.

If there are forces of light and love, then it would make sense that there would be contrary forces of evil, darkness, and pure hatred.

Just as there is day and night on the earth, there is light and darkness in the spiritual realm as well. And there is no limit to how extreme each of those forces can go,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.