• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Trade Deadline Tomorrow: What would you do if you ran the Skins?

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
So I am reading a lot about "trades that make sense" on a number of other sites. Teams that need a piece to fix the puzzle and what not. Not seeing the Skins listed anywhere but I figure that is because our puzzle is still in the box having never made it to the table. Obviously in our situation "a piece" isn't fixing anything this year.

However, that doesn't mean a trade now doesn't make some sort of sense for the future. Maybe move someone who isn't really in the long term future plans of the team for draft picks.

I am thinking maybe Andre Carter. He is having a decent year so far and proving he has enough gas in the tank to help some team that might have a shot but is lacking a bit of pass rush. A team like Cincinnati maybe or AZ. At this point I'd take third or a fourth for him, or maybe make it conditional on performance. It would add a pick next year and give us a chance to move Orakpo to his true position of RDE ending this lame experiment of him at LB.

Granted, that leaves us without a SAM...oh wait...we don't have one of those now.

I would be hesitant to any transactions that aren't far too good to pass up. You know, the kind of offers that we are usually initiating.

This team needs a plan for the future made by those who are going to be here in the future.

I would pretty much agree with that Chris. I was really only thinking of trading guys over 28-29 years of age and then only for draft picks. I figure the more picks we can give whatever combination of people are in charge next year the better off we are.

I'd give the next four years worth of draft choices to whoever would give us an All Pro Tight end :idea:

Oh wait :paranoid:

Recall that the first move Bill Walsh made when he came back tothe 49ers front office was to fire Vinny Cerrato.

With his record I still can't believe we are talking about him 10 years later.

What a spotty and disappointing 10 years it has been too.

Win or lose under Allen or Gibbs the Redskins were known as a team that worked hard and made some smart moves on the personnel side.

This team is a laughingstock for guys like JJ to rip on the Fox Post Game Show.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

If you remember, the first person fired by the danny at Redskins Park 10 seconds after the deal went through was Charlie Casserly.

Never was a big fan of his, but he knew football and knew football people

However, that doesn't mean a trade now doesn't make some sort of sense for the future. Maybe move someone who isn't really in the long term future plans of the team for draft picks.
I would agree with this if I were confident in our FO's ability to maximize the return on those draft picks.

In other words, I think I'd rather Andre Carter for another 4 years than an entire career of another Tryon or Rinehart, or Thomas, or Davis.

Carter isn't an outstanding end, but in my opinion, he's pretty solid, definitely not a bust. There's no risk. No mystery about what you're going to get. Sure, he's aging, and will eventually need to be replaced, but looking at the roster, I think I'd be more inclined to keep the steady performers like Carter than let the War Room gamble on a draft pick.

I would agree with this if I were confident in our FO's ability to maximize the return on those draft picks.

In other words, I think I'd rather Andre Carter for another 4 years than an entire career of another Tryon or Rinehart, or Thomas, or Davis.

Carter isn't an outstanding end, but in my opinion, he's pretty solid, definitely not a bust. There's no risk. No mystery about what you're going to get. Sure, he's aging, and will eventually need to be replaced, but looking at the roster, I think I'd be more inclined to keep the steady performers like Carter than let the War Room gamble on a draft pick.

But we have Brian Orakpo sitting behind him. This kid is a potential all-pro in his rookie year if he is utilized correctly.

At the beginning of the year I was interested to see what Carter would do with Big Al drawing those double teams. Looks like he is having a better year. He is a better player because of the addition of Al. But, if we can pick up a raw young offensive lineman for him, then why not.

Edit: To be honest, I am not sure that would be wise either. The depth at a position we were desperate to improve is probably more important.

The Redskins have several younger players that have value but it would be foolish to trade them with a new coach coming in and needing some core to build with.

At the same time the club has a number of veterans who are underperforming their contracts and due to the cap, unlike in baseball, you aren't going to be able to unload them.

If there was no cap restrictions I would be looking to get rid of a number of guys and start the rebuild NOW.

But as it is there are a few moves that could be made:

Carlos Rogers is going to be a free agent after the season. With Hall's new contract, Rogers won't be back. Might as well get a pick for him.

I might be tempted to trade Rocky McIntosh for a pick given the status of his knees.

These players have reasonable salaries that can be absorbed.

I would love to rid the club of contracts for Andre Carter, Cornelius Griffin, Clinton Portis and others but that isn't going to happen until the offseason.

Actually, Rogers, like Campbell, will only have 5 years of service and so unless a new CBA is signed before the start of FA he will only be a Restricted FA. We will get a shot a picks for both he and Campbell if we want them. Granted, we might get more for him now from a team that thinks they are a real solid CB away but we will not lose him uncompensated even after the season is over.

I don't think we'd get much for many of the players we have now.

Maybe a 2nd or 3rd for Carlos.
Maybe a 3rd for Carter...

Campbell isn't worth much (be lucky if you'd get a 6th rounder for him).
Horton and Doughty while are impact players, most teams wouldn't give up much for them either.

Don't expect any moves unless something crazy happens.

I there could be some serious change come the bye week anyway.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Redskins would pull the trigger to trade of an offensive lineman of some level. The offensive line is total crap and should they fire Zorn at the break, it would make the most sense to try to make an adjustment there.

But with this bunch, one never knows.

I would trade Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato for a bag of rocks. Then I would throw the rocks at Dan Snyder and Vinny Cerrato as they left Redskins Park.

I would let the league know the whole roster was open - send in offers (ham sandwiches wll do in some cases) and the skins will look at them.

This team needs blown up, if we are going to be this bad I at least want the hope of a better team in 2-3 years instead of looking at what we have and thinking man these bums wont be playing in 2-3 years and we will have to start over then.

Tom

I think you have to try and trade Carlos Rogers while you can. This guy does not want to be here so you are not going to be able to resign him. He has had leg problems off and on since he has been in the league.

If there is not an agreement between the NFL and NFLPA before next year, then someone will be gaining a solid corner that they will have for a season and a half before they offer him a new contract.

His cap hit should be minimal. We should be able to get a 2nd for him.

I think he is the only player that has trade value that would not totally annihilate the cap.

Outside of Orakpo, I would be willing to hear any trade offers. Doubt our cap situation makes us much of a player this season. Not to mention the Skins have never once shown a proclivity towards planning for the future under this Front Office.

Would be worth taking any future draft picks we can get though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.