• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Torrain, Hightower, Helu And Morris. Does Anyone See A Pattern Here?

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Torrain looked great....and suddenly broke down under Shanahan's watch.

Tim Hightower was previously injured, but is now no longer in the league.

Roy Helu displayed amazing skills, yet he is still not healthy. We've yet to receive a decent explanation as to how such a promising young star has seemingly vanished.

Alfred Morris is a phenom. No coach could ask for more. What does his future hold under Shanny's watch? Is he another one hit wonder? Or will he still be a starter three years from now?

Shanny has an amazing ability to plug RBs into the system, and then see them excel for one season.

Are they all dispensable? Is it a Shanny issue, or a training staff issue?

What say you, BGO?

So all three have just been the victims of amazingly bad luck?

Helu is way behind schedule on his recovery. He can't even sprint yet.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redsk...ck-with-turf-toe/article/2517862#.UO463ny9KSM

Each situation is different. But is this seriously just bad luck? Is it possible that it's a training staff issue?

What else could account for this? Should Helu have had surgery? What is the reason for the slow recovery?

I'm pretty happy griffin is in fl. - training staff is suspect.

What about Royster? Any problems there?

I think what we discovered from the three backs you mentioned is that they arent starting calibre players because they cant take the pounding. Very few can, which is why an all-purpose back is such an assett.

Thats why we kept Portis over Betts. :D

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Dagger! :)

If memory serves, THT had some injury problems in Arizona as well. Helu has a fairly slight build, so keeping him as a third down back would seem to make a lot of sense to me.

If Morris develops into an injury concern, I guess we would have something to talk about; but right now I don't see any correllation.

McD5 said:
Torrain, Hightower, Helu And Morris. Does Anyone See A Pattern Here?

Mmmm, let's see.....

Ah HA!

Yes, I see a pattern.

They were/are all black running backs.

What do I win?

I don't think the point was well demonstrated as has been pointed out with Torrain and Hightower but I think it is a valid point that needs examination...

How many times in the last decade have we been close to the league lead in injury minutes lost? This year we're 2nd, I know we've led it recently and been REAL close a bunch of times. This is with a natural surface, not one that is know for non contact injuries like artificial turf. I've thought for years that our training staff needs a serious evaluation.

I don't think the point was well demonstrated as has been pointed out with Torrain and Hightower but I think it is a valid point that needs examination...

How many times in the last decade have we been close to the league lead in injury minutes lost? This year we're 2nd, I know we've led it recently and been REAL close a bunch of times. This is with a natural surface, not one that is know for non contact injuries like artificial turf. I've thought for years that our training staff needs a serious evaluation.

I will never understand why we don't have the best training staff and the best scouting department in the league. I know neither are sexy enough to sell extra jerseys or tickets, but they are both so paramount to a successful team.

To take that further I'll never understand why we don't have the best EVERYthing money can buy. Snyder seems so gung ho on spending on the team, why the cheapskate approach here? It directly affects success!

Shanahan must be happy. If he wasn't, it would change.

Snyder passed football operations, and therefore, criticism, to Shanahan.

The problem in the past was, nobody listened to the scouting dept.

And, I'm sure there are plenty of teams that would say "Cry me a river" on the injury front.

There is a long, long, long list of RBs in the NFL who lasted one or two seasons, and a very small percentage of them played for Mike Shanahan or the Washington Redskins. This thread is pretty silly in that regard.

The list of 1,000-yard rushers coached by Mike Shanahan is fairly short, only 7 names. However that list is the longest of any head coach ever, so I think Mike knows what he's doing when it comes to the position (the Maurice Clarett brainfart aside).

This joint is in need of a collective deep breath. I can only imagine how bad Extreme and CPND are, the mods are probably in full time ledge talking mode. These are the times I'm glad to live well outside of D.C. The hysteria must be palpable.

I think I saw on Twitter today that the Post has had articles mentioning Obama 40-something times since Sunday, and 70-something articles with mentioning Griffin.

So... yeah. It's on people's minds. :)

Real issues are bad enough. Manufactured concerns are, well, just silly.

the zone system isnt plug and play, the back has to have a certain skillset to be good in this system, it requires a lot of cutting and thats hard on knees its not a lot of straight line running so not many backs will last more than 2-3 seasons in it. add that to the fact that Shanny when left to his own devices will ride a hot hand until it falls apart lol and you have some patterns. I dont worry about this, shanny has enough things he buggers up without worrying about the one thing he does very well.

This post makes no sense. Roy Helu is a change of pace back that received limited carries before being injured.

Morris is a full-time back who just had 1,600 yards rushing and ended up the season healthy.

How are these two narratives similar?

And how does Torain come into it?

Torain was released because he wasn't producing not because he was hurt.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I believe he was trying to say Morris is DOOOOOOOOOMED because all other Shanahan RBs have been driven til they fall apart. Still silly when you consider most RBs don't last that long. ZBS or not, its a very tough position on the legs/knees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.