• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Top reasons why I like football more than basketball

RG3 Fan

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Baylor
BB referees have too much influence at the end of a game.

Don't know the college team players because if they are really good they are suckered into the NBA the next year. Your thoughts.

BB referees have too much influence at the end of a game.
And NFL refs don't?

As gray an area as pass interference,illegal contact and roughing the passer are, I'd say that bb refs and nfl refs are about the same.

I'm definitely a football fan first, but you can't deny that the playing field is much more level in college basketball. Florida Gulf Coast is showing that to be the case this tournament. Do you think their football team would have an ice cube's chance in hell against Alabama or LSU? I don't even know if they have a football team, but if they did, they might win 1 out of 1000 games, if they were lucky.

EDIT: I do hate the one-and-done rule...they should change it to 3 years after high school like the NFL does.

I agree about the leaving early, it's garbage. Look at Kentucky. They steam rolled their way to the title last year, and this year they were failures that got beat in the first round of the NIT. People like to tease me because UNC doesn't ever seem to get a top 5 recruit, but I'd rather be competitive every single year and win a title once in a while than have to endure a decade of losing between titles just to get the top guy in the country.

I'm with ya RG3Fan... I have not watched an entire basketball game in years. Just not that interested in it. And I agree...NBA refs are far more influential, but NFL refs can be at times as well...Seattle's victory over Green Bay last year is evidence of that.

And seriously, something I've been wondering for years. Does anyone know legitimately why Duke is ranked near the top, even if they're horrible? Plenty of schools have a far more rich tradition and don't get this treatment. Example: If Kentucky, Kansas and North Carolina were all 30-2, but Duke was 27-5, Duke would be ranked number 1 ten times out of ten.

And it isn't strength of schedule, because outside of ACC play it is well known that coach K is a pussy and plays the most cupcake schedule in the country. Are all the voters Duke alum?

The same reason Notre Dame is consistently over-ranked in football: $$$

Good point. It gets absurd though. Duke can get blown out by an unranked opponent and drop 1-2 spots in the polls. But let any other school lose by a few points to the number 1 team in the country, and they tank their way halfway down the list. It's ridiculous.

My favorite is when Duke is ranked higher than teams that have beat them, who have less losses with a tougher schedule. There are a few of those on the list this year. Just like every year.

For the longest time from 1995-2005 they did the same thing with Arizona. I never understood that. One year they lost something like 6 out of 8 games, and only dropped like 6 spots in the polls, it was nuts.

This sort of financial value placed on teams, Notre Dame football, Duke basketball, Cowboys and Yankees, will not change unless we (the consumer) stop purchasing their product. The National Championship was a good indicator last year. No one wants to see an undefeated team who played very few top ranked opponents..or so we'd think. The ratings continue to tell a different story. As long as those ratings remain as high as they do, we're stuck with it.

I can't stand the NBA because they don't even try in the regular season. It's a joke, and if they can't take themselves seriously why should I waste my time with them as a fan?
That and their refs are corrupt and rig games.

I like college basketball because it appears to have less of a problem with that. I also like it for the same reason I like hockey, and it's the advantage I think the two sports have over football and baseball, because it's so fast paced and constant; it doesn't have tons of stoppages in play.

In every other regard I like football more. The best for me is the importance of every single game due to the shortness of the season. Which is why I think lengthening the season would be a huge mistake.

My favorite is when Duke is ranked higher than teams that have beat them, who have less losses with a tougher schedule. There are a few of those on the list this year. Just like every year.

I don't think it's possible to have a tougher schedule than Duke. Pretty much every game they play is against a big time opponent.

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1845&SPSID=22726

They have very few weak games scheduled every year. I can't really think of a program that ever has a harder schedule than Duke.

I hate Duke, so I'm not trying to fluff them up... I just don't know of a school with a harder schedule on a regular basis... I'm not an NCAA expert though, so maybe i'm just missing something.

NBA is not true basketball and it hasn't been that way for a long time. Constant palming of the ball, ten steps to the basket, one man ball hogging shows, etc.

NBA is not true basketball and it hasn't been that way for a long time. Constant palming of the ball, ten steps to the basket, one man ball hogging shows, etc.

Yeah, but when it works (within the rules), basketball is beautiful. I have never gotten hockey, and I know people will argue that hockey (or even soccer) are more beautiful, but for me, when a fast break is run to perfection, or a pick and role leaves the D stumped, there is nothing I'd rather watch in sports.

Having said THAT, the problems mentioned above are the reasons I don't watch the NBA much anymore. Being raised on the 80's NBA, watching the crap that passed for basketball in the early 2000's was awful. For multiple reasons, I hated Allen Iverson.

As much as it pains me to admit it, watching LeBron the last two years has been a joy. I can't stand him, but he has elevated his play to spectacular levels. The '86 Celtics it ain't, but it's pretty damned fun to watch.

I don't think it's possible to have a tougher schedule than Duke. Pretty much every game they play is against a big time opponent.

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1845&SPSID=22726

They have very few weak games scheduled every year. I can't really think of a program that ever has a harder schedule than Duke.

I hate Duke, so I'm not trying to fluff them up... I just don't know of a school with a harder schedule on a regular basis... I'm not an NCAA expert though, so maybe i'm just missing something.
As a lifelong UNC fan, the only team I follow as closely as them is Duke, for opposite reasons. I assure you they notoriously have a fluff schedule. If it wasn't for the fact they are in the ACC, they would easily have one of the weakest schedules in the country year after year.

And don't bother with the strength of schedule rankings the "experts" put up. They always have Duke at the top, but the only factor included is opponent win percentage. Which means nothing if you're playing teams like Gardner-Weeb, Winston-Salem State, Florida Atlantic, etc. and playing ALL of them at home. Duke only travels when they have to. They probably also have more home games than anybody.

Some real kindred spirits here. I agree about the NBA and I do love March Madness, but I am convinced that the refs control the game more in both college and NBA basketball than football. Not to say there are often bad calls in football as well. In the Iowa State loss the ref should have made a none call or called it the other way. When Baylor played Duke in the tournament about three years ago I am convinced that the charging call on Acy in which the Duke player clearly did not have his feet set kept Baylor from making the final four that year. Don't know how Duke started owning college basketball, but they do.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.