• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Tony Pashos: Welcome Aboard

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
Signed today to play RT per CSN. 32, coming off injury that cost him the entire 2012 season.

That signing kinda pisses me off! I cannot believe there is not an RT on our team...Hurt, Compton...who cannot play better than Pashos!

Hopefully Compton(who received praise from both Shanny and Foerster for his development last year) beats Pashos out and Pashos becomes a backup.

If not, we just got rid of one injury prone OT(Brown) and signed another.

Cap penalty means you have to set your sights a little lower. I don't think this is bottom fishing, but even if it were one thing Shanny has shown is a willingness to play the best man regardless of contract or rep.

Haven't we gone this route before with disastrous results, I dunno how I feel about this....

Anyone know the terms of the deal? Kinda hard for me to get too worked up without knowing how much we're on the hook for.

Cap penalty means you have to set your sights a little lower. I don't think this is bottom fishing, but even if it were one thing Shanny has shown is a willingness to play the best man regardless of contract or rep.

Anyone know the terms of the deal? Kinda hard for me to get too worked up without knowing how much we're on the hook for.

These two things.

1) Cap penalty limits what we can do severely. Not really much else to say.

2) I can't imagine this contract NOT being heavily incentive-based. He'll get $1.4M base or whatever the vet minimum is, and nothing else on top of that unless he performs.

Also, what's to say he's not a warm body for camp? I don't see a press-conference announcing Pashos as our huge signing for the year. He's just another OL coming in to compete for a spot. Nothing to see here.

where's the risk here? :)

There is no dark tunnel of dead cap money to follow if Pashos doesn't make it back to 100% as there was with the disastrous extension for Jammal Brown.

When Pashos has been healthy previously he is a functional NFL tackle. He is far better in pass protection than Tyler Polumbus and I think coming out of the 2012 season up front among the starting 5 THAT was the most glaring hole, pass pro at RT.

The team added Jeremy Trueblood from the Bucs, also a veteran RT, to compete for the job and perhaps be the #3.

If both are healthy and again we were shopping on the bargain rack because of injuries to these players, then the team will be a lot more settled at OT than they were in 2012.

If Compton was that close to being ready in 2012 he would have seen snaps during the regular season at some point instead of Jordan Black, who a few weeks earlier was working as a stockbroker.

Evidently, he isn't there yet. So, we needed to make these moves to bridge for 2013.

I look at Trueblood as the mauler type with a mean streak and I want him to work out. I think our Oline gets a little nastier with him and TW at the tackle spots. I do worry that his bad habits wouldn't get broken if he felt he didn't have competition, so I'm hoping that Pashos can push him to be as good as many think he can be. I'd accept some BS penalties from Trueblood if he can play nasty and help give our offense a little attitude. Thinking Kyle Turley attitude here.

where's the risk here? :)

There is no dark tunnel of dead cap money to follow if Pashos doesn't make it back to 100% as there was with the disastrous extension for Jammal Brown.

When Pashos has been healthy previously he is a functional NFL tackle. He is far better in pass protection than Tyler Polumbus and I think coming out of the 2012 season up front among the starting 5 THAT was the most glaring hole, pass pro at RT.

The team added Jeremy Trueblood from the Bucs, also a veteran RT, to compete for the job and perhaps be the #3.

If both are healthy and again we were shopping on the bargain rack because of injuries to these players, then the team will be a lot more settled at OT than they were in 2012.

If Compton was that close to being ready in 2012 he would have seen snaps during the regular season at some point instead of Jordan Black, who a few weeks earlier was working as a stockbroker.

Evidently, he isn't there yet. So, we needed to make these moves to bridge for 2013.

No one knows what is going to happen with these players.

But I remember before the 1999 season the Redskins had an offensive line that was unsettled up and down from left to right. We had a center in Raymer and a left guard in Tre Johnson and little else.

We went on to draft Jon Jansen who started all 16 games as a rookie at RT in Round 2.

We signed Andy Heck to play LT and Keith Sims to play RG and both veterans played well in opening up holes for Stephen Davis to run for 1,405 yards.

The Redskins as in 2012 won the division at 10-6 and then beat Detroit 27-14 in the postseason before losing 14-13 to the Bucs in Round 2.

The similarity here is that both Heck and Sims were not top tier free agents. Both were 32 years old and coming off injured seasons in 1998 with the Bears and Dolphins. They were value free agents that signed one year contracts.

And for those like Chris Russell at WTEM who think the club won't be able to find a starter in Round 2 at any of these need positions for 2013, we do have the examples of Jansen in 1999 as a RT and going back a bit further to Vernon Dean in 1982 who ended up starting at CB for the Redskins from the midway point of what turned out to be a Super Bowl season.

That signing kinda pisses me off! I cannot believe there is not an RT on our team...Hurt, Compton...who cannot play better than Pashos!

I know right...even when Polumbus was the worst pass blocking RT ever. I coulda swore that Hurt filled in for Polumbo one game after an injury and played pretty damn well @ RT. I remember cause i was excited to see him the next game but TP ended up starting again...smh. Photos of Shanny in lingerie or something.

We went on to draft Jon Jansen who started all 16 games as a rookie at RT in Round 2.......

And for those like Chris Russell at WTEM who think the club won't be able to find a starter in Round 2 at any of these need positions for 2013, we do have the examples of Jansen in 1999 as a RT ....

Ahh, the good ole days when we spent high picks on o-line. My goodness i'll do a backflip if the Shan actually drafts a RT in the 2nd. Hell even a cartwheel if we use our 3rd on one!

Ahh, the good ole days when we spent high picks on o-line. My goodness i'll do a backflip if the Shan actually drafts a RT in the 2nd. Hell even a cartwheel if we use our 3rd on one!

Shanny has drafted Oline guys within the first two available picks in two of the three drafts he's been here. He's drafted six overall and signed a bunch of middlin' free agents.

Shanny's moves may not have caught on fire (yet) but I don't think anyone can say that he's neglected the oline since he's been here.

But yeah, having a few long term blue chippers with a load of solid backups would be nice.

You're right i don't think anyone can say he's deliberatly neglected the o-line, but when the majority of players picked are in the 5th and on then it's tough to call them quality picks. Protecting Griff should be the focus of this draft with a solid RT and possibly a TE.

Trent was a solid pick and so was Leribeous, but the majority after have been let's see who sticks in the later rds. Jansen was the last high rd (1-3) RT we've taken in the draft and that's where we have neglected. The team is waaaay overdue to lock that spot down.

The interior spots i'm not AS concerned abou,t but getting great bookends should be the main focus imo.

The truth is the cupboard was largely bare when Shanahan arrived and it took him a full season of losing games to realize that. If he had been quicker to recognize a complete rebuild was in order we would not have wasted time and picks on McNabb and Jammal Brown and we would have those 2 or 3 other high draft picks that COULD RIGHT NOW be that young RT, CB, S, etc.

We did draft Trent Williams and Perry Riley that first season in 2010 but other than that many of the other decisions as has been discussed for veterans in trade were made on a faulty premise of the competitive ability of the roster here.

that's why we can either have patience with the bare cupboard and cap penalty that Cerrato and Co. left Allen and Shanahan to clean up, or we can hang our heads and be frustrated that we can't sign pro bowl corners and tackles right away in two or three easy moves.

the idea of signing a DT and paying him a $100M contract is absolutely absurd as is paying a mid-tier corner like Hall $23M guaranteed.

Allen and Shanahan or any other front office coming in was going to have to pass these gall stones and it was going to be painful one way or another.

The fact Haynesworth couldn't even play anymore made it that much worse.

If it's 20 years before we trade another pick away it'll be too soon imo. Seems hardly any good comes from that...unless it's for your YOUNG QB of the future. Other than that we need to stand pat or trade back for a while.

Im pretty happy with this team personnel, player, and attitude wise. We aren't the laughing stock of the league, we have players who love being here and not just mercs off the street, and we're winning.

Seven game winning streaks dont happen by luck.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Amen to that! I think it meant a lot to reinvest in some of our own guys again this year... Can't measure what good it will do this season, but its got to be good in the locker room!

maybe we can call up shar pourdanesh, you can never have too many injury prone Otackles

exactly.

this is a nonsense signing IMO. the team needs to emphasize the seriousness - especially after its questionable decision-making in the Seattle game - of protecting the QB it sold the farm for.

makes little sense in my mind, but it follows an earlier pattern with running backs - maybe this is just how Shanny rolls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.