• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Time to bench Portis - what say you?

EatSleepRedskin

The UDFA
Reaction score
Am I way out in left field here?

The Redskins supposedly got better blocking in the second half, but perhaps it wasn't the offensive line.

Portis has been starting all year long, and he hasn't run well all year long.

Portis goes out and Betts and Cartwright come in, and suddenly there are holes open and rushing room.

Are we to really believe that the offensive line suddenly got better than they have been performing all year long?

I say bench Portis. Play Betts (who has performed well every single time he gets a chance) and Cartwright.

Say what you will - but it's hard to ignore that Betts looked significantly better behind the same line.

Portis wore out his welcome with me about a year ago. I'd be fine going another direction the rest of the way. I see more effort with Betts than with CP. At this point, I'd rather lose with effort than without it.

Portis can't leave town soon enough. I was wondering whether it was just the ****ty line, or if Portis was banged up, or if he was just mailing it in

Looks like we have an answer, since Betts made out line look much better

Forget Portis, it is time to bench Landry. That idiot has cost us 4-5 TDs in the past few weeks, and gave up 2 today. One on a horrible angle (per usual) and one on that ridiculous ankle-biting "tackle" attempt on Turner.

Forget Portis, it is time to bench Landry. That idiot has cost us 4-5 TDs in the past few weeks, and gave up 2 today. One on a horrible angle (per usual) and one on that ridiculous ankle-biting "tackle" attempt on Turner.

I'd shed no tears over his departure either. Sean taylor he ain't

I think the D was playing our offense different with Portis out. I also think Lewis called a different game with Portis out.

Not that I wasn't impressed with what Betts and Cartwright accomplished, mind you, I just didn't think they saw the same defensive front that Portis saw. It was like the Falcons were almost daring Betts and Rock to beat them.

Not sure that happens week in and week out if we bench Portis and I don't believe either Betts or Cartwright can get what isn't there the way I have seen Portis do in the past.

*shrug*

Just my :twocents:

Well if you put the chair on the leeward side you'll be a lot warmer but you won't be able to hear the music as well -

... is that an iceberg?

And saddest of all, a partially clad Kate Winslet is no where in sight....

Needing to get in some practice on your drawing there Boone? ;)

Say what you will - but it's hard to ignore that Betts looked significantly better behind the same line.

Portis wore out his welcome with me about a year ago. I'd be fine going another direction the rest of the way. I see more effort with Betts than with CP. At this point, I'd rather lose with effort than without it.

Seemingly, the offense began to move the ball more effectively when Betts took over. He had a nice 4.7 yards per carry. Not too shabby at all, particularly given the offensive line he ran behind. Kid of deflates the Portis argument of 'you try running behind this line'. Ummm, Betts did, and did well. Betts also gives more burst of speed out of the back field than Portis. Portis has slowed. There is no question about it. Heck, I don't even mind the mixing of Rock Cartwright in into it.

I'd shed no tears over his departure either. Sean taylor he ain't

I wouldn't give up on him just yet. Put him up at strong safety where he was drafted to play, and he's be far more effective. We can only hope our next staff see this with LaRon and others.

Portis......... I've had little taste for him for a fairly long time now. I'll shed no tears to see him get his walkin papers. My only question is, if he leaves, which player will step up and be Snyders buddy.

Portis should be out vs. the Broncos no matter what (concussion)

If Betts has a repeat performance, then yes. CP should be benched....he has looked weak all season.

Frankly, we haven't seen anything like Betts' performance toady from Portis, Betts, Cartwright, Mason or Sellers all season long.

If LB can do it again great, he's the guy. But right now I'm considering it a fluke until I see otherwise.

Eh, Betts hasn't gotten many opportunities until today.

Sure, he's spelled Portis for a play or two, but for the most part, he's been the "third-down" back, and that's about it.

I'm still waiting to see how he does holding onto the ball.
Even in the 2006 season, he had some key fumbles.........something to watch for in the Broncos game.

I'm tired of seeing the same old crap from the same old players. It will be nice to see a change of pace next week. Still, Betts isn't half the blocker Portis is so we might as well throw it to him on 3rd down since he won't likely be doing anything else.

I think the D was playing our offense different with Portis out. I also think Lewis called a different game with Portis out.

Not that I wasn't impressed with what Betts and Cartwright accomplished, mind you, I just didn't think they saw the same defensive front that Portis saw. It was like the Falcons were almost daring Betts and Rock to beat them.

Not sure that happens week in and week out if we bench Portis and I don't believe either Betts or Cartwright can get what isn't there the way I have seen Portis do in the past.

*shrug*

Just my :twocents:

I disagree, this whole year I have been watching Portis and saying that he is playing very soft, he is not hitting holes, and is just playing lazy. I said it last game they played that Betts should be starting as he seems to care and is playing hard.

Yesterday proved that to me, Betts is playing hard, hitting holes hard, and is always gaining positive yards. Portis is doing the exact opposite. Betts has earned the start, Portis has earned the bench.

I'm tired of seeing the same old crap from the same old players. It will be nice to see a change of pace next week. Still, Betts isn't half the blocker Portis is so we might as well throw it to him on 3rd down since he won't likely be doing anything else.

Another perk to having Betts in full time is that he is deadly on screen plays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.