• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

This right here defines 'TEAM'....

You know I'm not a stats type of guy but 8 for 19 for 125? Is that good enough for you?
BTW Blow coverage on both plays and the receiver was wide open, and in both cases the ball overthrown.

No way...that ball hit Armstrong in stride. And we'll never know if the ball to Davis was overthrown, because he stopped running the route!

The ONLY thing I was agreeing or making a comparison to is that McNabb is a class act. Ramsey and Campbell were also class acts while in Washington. Neither of them got it done, and IMHO neither will McNabb. He has consistently choked under pressure for years, and still throws the ball in the dirt when rushed.

I can not believe how the media has hyped this guy for years, and people can't understand why Philly traded him away. I think it's pretty obvious. Is he an upgrade from Campbell, and or Ramsey? Of course he is but that isn't saying a whole lot. Neither of them are NFL caliber type QB's who were or are ever going to do a thing.
:twocents:

Bolding and Underlining Mine

Uhhhh, actually having watched Kolb last night, I am not sure why they traded away their starter. McNabb doesn't look as good to me without TWill in there protecting his blind side. Once Williams makes it back, I think the protection improves, and we can give McNabb a little more time.

I'm not saying McNabb is the long term answer, but to a fanbase that has been starving for real, honest to God QB play for 20+ years now, hot damn this is fun!

Chewy - McNabb's career numbers are 33,831 yards passing, for 219 TDs and 102 INTs. Tom Brady's career numbers: 31,602 yards passing, for 233 TDs and 101 INTs. You could make the argument they both had terrible receivers for much of their careers, but I would argue Deion Branch and David Patten >>> Todd Stinkston and Fred-Ex.

That is why he is hyped by the media, because you know, he's good. Its okay to take the blinders off now, he's no longer in Eagle green. :)
Here's a stat that matters. ZERO Super Bowl victories.
You can put away the Kool Aid. I don't drink it. :)

No way...that ball hit Armstrong in stride. And we'll never know if the ball to Davis was overthrown, because he stopped running the route!
:yawnee:

Bolding and Underlining Mine

Uhhhh, actually having watched Kolb last night, I am not sure why they traded away their starter. McNabb doesn't look as good to me without TWill in there protecting his blind side. Once Williams makes it back, I think the protection improves, and we can give McNabb a little more time.

I'm not saying McNabb is the long term answer, but to a fanbase that has been starving for real, honest to God QB play for 20+ years now, hot damn this is fun!
Yeah cause coming off the bench after three weeks of not playing is so easy to do in the NFL.
:Rollz Eyes:
Had that last pass which was thrown perfectly by Kolb the last play of the game been caught, I doubt we would be having this debate now would we?

I would think after 11 seasons, he has had plenty of "time".

Yeah cause coming off the bench after three weeks of not playing is so easy to do in the NFL.
:Rollz Eyes:
Had that last pass which was thrown perfectly by Kolb the last play of the game been caught, I doubt we would be having this debate now would we?

I would think after 11 seasons, he has had plenty of "time".

Kolb looked very bad to me, far worse than his stats indicated. I will grant you there are some GMs in the league (outside Philly) who might want Kolb instead of McNabb, but not many, even with the age difference. I've said before I thought we should have pressured him more into making more mistakes. He looked bad.

McNabb provides some intangibles that are impossible to measure. The team played for him yesterday and won the game for him. How many QBs in the league are there that could say that?

In fact, let's do this. I am about to go on a sales call, and won't get back until late tonight. By the time I'm back, do me a favor and list out the QBs in the league right now you would rather have than McNabb.

Should provide some interesting debate.

Fred Davis keeps running through the route on the first long ball, it's a walk-in TD.

Armstrong doesn't trip over this own feet, it's another walk-in TD.

McNabb was tight--missed some balls, threw the one WTF? pick. He was also money in the first half when Kyle Shanahan was still calling a legit NFL offense. Not sure what the strategy was in the second other than "let's not **** it up."

Be nice with a legit LT in there too, some day hopefully soon.

Compared to what we've had behind center here for a generation, DMac is The Man.

Fred Davis keeps running through the route on the first long ball, it's a walk-in TD.

Armstrong doesn't trip over this own feet, it's another walk-in TD.

Exactly. DeSean Jackson last week had essentially the same play, but turned up field, tiptoed the line, and scored. Armstrong fell. Will AA get there? Hopefully.

And Davis *clearly* stopped running early - I have no idea what he was thinking.

McNabb was tight--missed some balls, threw the one WTF? pick. He was also money in the first half when Kyle Shanahan was still calling a legit NFL offense. Not sure what the strategy was in the second other than "let's not **** it up."

He had Galloway in the endzone, just underthrew the ball. Aikman and Buck couldn't figure out where he was throwing, but it was painfully obvious. Just a terrible throw - McNabby is good for one a game.

Also, if Carlos Rogers had worse hands, they would be feet.

McNabb isn't a great QB. He's a good one though. Complaining that he's not perfect, or playing at an elite level on a team that a) has practically no talent at the other skill positions, and b) hasn't seen anything CLOSE to a franchise QB in 20 years, rings a little hollow to me.

Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Schaub ... those are the only QBs that I think are CLEARLY better than McNabb right now. There are a few others you can make an argument for, but that puts him in the second tier of QBs in this league. And I'll take that for now.

That said, we've got to start playing full games. We are TERRIBLE in the second half of games right now. That won't get it done against teams that can keep their QB on the field for 4 quarters, especially teams like the Packers and Colts.

Are you kidding? QBs come off the bench and play great all the time. Michael Vick immediately comes to mind. Cassell, Schaub, Romo, Rothelisberger, Brady ... Bubby Brister, Randal Cunningham, Doug Flutie, Jim Harbaugh ... Todd Collins ...

... It's being the starter, being schemed for that's the challenge. But coming off the bench, when the opposing defense has prepared all week for some other guy and playing well for a few quarters? It's not exactly unprecedented.

Regardless of what we all think of McNabb, I've been decidedly unimpressed with Kolb. He looked bad in the opener and he looked bad yesterday. At some point it's not other factors and just that he looks bad.

Last edited:
McNabb isn't a great QB. He's a good one though.

I have to disagree with you here...McNabb is an elite QB. He has been for years in Philly with subpar talent at the WR position. Weird, they finally got him an elite WR, and he had his best season ever!

Complaining that he's not perfect, or playing at an elite level on a team that a) has practically no talent at the other skill positions, and b) hasn't seen anything CLOSE to a franchise QB in 20 years, rings a little hollow to me.

Agree 1000%.

You know I'm not a stats type of guy but 8 for 19 for 125? Is that good enough for you?
BTW Blow coverage on both plays and the receiver was wide open, and in both cases the ball overthrown.

Also, how is blown coverage a bad thing? How many times did we see Campbell either not SEE the blown coverage, or overthrow a WR by 10 yards? Blown coverages happen almost every game - its up to the QB to see it and take advantage of it, which McNabb did.

Also, on the Davis play, it was designed to get him open like that. So, was the coverage blown? Sure, I guess you could say that, but also the play worked like it was designed to work.

I'll take that every day of the week and twice on Sundays. :)

Yes, Armstrong tripped...however I am impressed with this kid. First and foremost he caught the ball. Later he was open again and the pass drifted out of bounds, yet he stayed with it and caught the ball again while going down. Won't show up in stat sheet, but a heck of a catch.

I see Armstrong becoming a WR that McNabb can trust. The kid is reliable, which is why Thomas is the KR and not on field as a WR.

Think given time Armstrong could become our Miles Austin.

I LOVE Armstrong ... all the man does is get open. He can't run, and in this case he tripped over his own feet and (arguably) cost his team four points when they had to settle for the FG, but he's a football player.

Don't think he has the jets to become our Miles Austin, but I can sure see him becoming a strong 2nd option and possession receiver who opposing teams won't be able to sleep on deep given his uncanny ability to get behind the defense.

Yes, Armstrong tripped...however I am impressed with this kid. First and foremost he caught the ball. Later he was open again and the pass drifted out of bounds, yet he stayed with it and caught the ball again while going down. Won't show up in stat sheet, but a heck of a catch

Forgot about this play - it was probably his best of the day, even though it didn't count. What great concentration to come down with that ball! I think this kid is gonna be special, for sure.

In addition to Armstrong's play, I also enjoyed watching Ryan Torain blast through some defenders!

In addition to Armstrong's play, I also enjoyed watching Ryan Torain blast through some defenders!

Trucking Quentin Mikell was a thing of beauty. He ran hard and he ran THROUGH guys, something I don't remember seeing him do before and something we don't see as much of from Portis anymore. I can't help but wonder if Clinton still has that concussion on his mind when he runs the ball now.

I can't help but wonder if Clinton still has that concussion on his mind when he runs the ball now.

I'd love to know what's up with him. Is he just done? Not fast enough to the holes? The announcers yesterday said he had gotten old by converting to a power running back here. All that blocking had to have worn him down a bit

OTOH, I was waiting for Shanny to find a youngin' for his system

Portis did have one nice shot early on. i doubt there's a clip of it, but during one of his first runs he slammed into a defender and made him pay for the tackle pretty good.

But yeah, he's looking old these days.

We all knew Portis was on borrowed time. His contract was such that it wouldn’t have saved us any money to cut him and it’s always nice to have a vet like him around as long as he isn’t a distraction of some sort. I think his effort has been solid and his blocking is still top notch. It’s just that his body is just letting him down at this point. All of the dings and bumps add up.

I had a feeling when he was added to the roster that Torain would be starting before the end of the year and I was a little surprised when he started the season on the practice squad. I think we’ll see Portis moved to more of a support role for the remainder of the season. If we limit his carries and if he can stay healthy he can still be a contributor and even a spot starter. I think this season is the end of the road for Portis in DC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.