• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

This is a complete BS rule in the NFL that needs to be changed

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
If you're on the punt return team and the punt bounces near you, and you're making NO effort to handle it, and obviously EVERY effort to avoid the ball, but thanks to the errant, random way that a pointy ball bounces, it unpredictably and incidentally brushes the side of your leg, the ball SHOULD NOT be a free ball for the other team to recover.
This is the weakest, wussiest rule in the league.
The way the rule SHOULD work - the other team can only recover it, if it touches your hands. Because if it touches any other part of your body - DUH, you're obviously not trying to receive the punted ball and advance it.
So, thanks to the worthless and senseless rule, and an incidental, and hardly detectable brush of a ball against a dude's leg, a team is now going to the Super Bowl, that surely does not deserve it, and surely would not have gone otherwise.

Ummmm........I'm not a Giants fan, but how exactly did the Giants not deserve to win the game? It wasn't like the 49ers dominated them.

I was rooting for the Niners to win, but you honestly have no idea that the Giants wouldn't have scored in one of their other drives. If SF wanted to win the game it should've done something with one of their countless chances after that. I think the Niners got away from Gore too much in the later stages of the game.

Kyle Williams knew the rule and needed to do a better job of avoiding the ball. He knew the damn thing hit him and thought he could get away with it. His bigger miscue was the fumble in OT, although that was more of a good play by the Giants.

He shouldn't have been anywhere near that ball to begin with.

While I don't believe there is anything wrong with the rule, the receiver or any other player on the receiving team just needs to pay attention.

I will however agree with the 2 special teams plays being the game changers. You cannot give Eli or any other team a short field in a Championship game! You just can't make those mistakes and expect to win. Should the 49ers have taken advantage of their chances? No doubt! But their defense was playing very well and was asked to do too much because of those errors.

I was rooting for the Niners to win, but you honestly have no idea that the Giants wouldn't have scored in one of their other drives.

The Giants offense was getting nowhere against the SF defense. They had about a half dozen drives after that, and couldn't muster even a FG. It wasn't until yet another fumble deep in SF territory, that they even mustered a FG - something that they would have never done in OT, if they didn't unfairly get that freebie in the 4th quarter.

He shouldn't have been anywhere near that ball to begin with.

If they'd change the rule for the reasons I have stated, it wouldn't and shouldn't matter whether he was in that area.

Last edited:
To be fair, I could see your critique if somehow some 49er guy had his back turned and the ball hit him in the leg and the Giants recovered.

But this was just a boneheaded decision by Williams and once he knew the ball even might have hit him he should've at least gone after it.

It's still a ridiculous rule even in this scenario, because it's basically stating that the guy fumbled the ball, when he never even had possession of it to begin with, or even ATTEMPTED to gain possession of it. They call it a fumble because of some random, inadvertent, uncontrollable bounce. That is NOT the definition of a fumble, or a muff.

You know what's even more aggravating? The fact the lazy scumbag made ZERO ATTEMPT to go after the ball after knowing it had hit his leg. The fact Harbaugh's stupid ass let him go in for another one after showing he was too lazy to do his job, well Harbaugh got what he deserved. If it had been me, that lazy prick wouldn't have seen the field again in that uniform.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the rule. It is as it should be.

All fault lies with the idiot being close enough, to a ball that has bounced funny since the day it was invented.

It's doubtful there would be a complaint here if the fumble led to the Redskins winning the game.

And, while their is really no way to be certain, I'm with El. Without the two turnovers, San Fran wins the game.

The New York Leprechaun's, "Property of The 2011 Rex Grossman Led Redskins" don't deserve to be in the Super Bowl.

But there, they are.

Now we get to enjoy two weeks of the media fellatio of Belicheat, and a "Manning".

The Overrated Bowl. Yippee!!!

I have no problem with the rule. This same rule has cost us on numerous occasions. As in any sport the players need to know the rules.

As others said he should haven't been anywhere near that ball. He was looking to pick it up and make a big play, then thought different when saw the Giants all around him.

The funny bounces in football is what makes this game so great. On a routine punt the ball takes a funny bounce and hits a guy. How many times have we seen a ball take a funny bounce which turns out to be pivotal play?

Again, I was rooting against the Giants yesterday, but some of you guys need to tone down "The Giants don't deserve to be in the SB" stuff. Was it the Giants fault that the Packers decided not to show up last week at home? That the Saints forgot to play defense against the 49ers last week?

NY and SF played a tight game earlier in the season that went down to the wire with Eli coming up a little short. This one , unfortunately, turned out different.

If the Giants truly don't deserve to be there, then the Pats will lay the smackdown to them in Indy. But I don't think its gonna happen.

Nothing wrong with the rule. EDIT: The rule that DOES need to be changed is the "football move" rule. Should have been a TD for the Ravens - Evans caught it and had two feet down in the endzone; that should be a friggin touchdown and Tom Brady should be crying on the sidelines after being outplayed (by a lot) by Joe Flaccoooo.

On a side note, both games ended on special teams gaffes (the Ravens after a dropped TD pass by worthless Lee Evans, but that's another topic). Maybe the Redskins don't have it so bad with Graham after all...

Last edited by a moderator:
A thread discussing "funny football bounces" and no mention of Tony Romo?

Wow, folks getting slack or what? :rotflmao:

My first thought too, Serv. I was just reading Moneyball, and Lewis talks about statistical anamolies evening out over the course of time, and my first thought was... Not with Romo they don't!

:)

Surely, you don't mean it should have been "called" a TD, do you ?

You mean, he should have caught it ?

I meant called a TD. Possession with two feet down in the endzone, let review sort out whether or not his foot was down first or the ball came out first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.