• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

They have found the offense

I like what Terry Bradshaw said in post game. The Redskins are scary and a team to be reckoned with the rest of the way. Next week may see a hiatus, but I tend to agree with him.

I think we can go toe to toe with the Donkeys. Unfortunately, I suspect our ST will be our undoing again. Holliday has a reputation as being one of the up and coming return men in the NFL, and I could easily see him burning us if we aren't careful.

I liked seeing the offense being able to move the ball at will at times today, much like the rest of us.

However, in critical spots, when this team could really have stepped on the Bears throats, the offense sputtered.

I personally think back to the drive following Gould's missed field goal on the Bears' opening second half possession. The Bears moved the chains with a backup QB, got close to the red zone, had to settle for a field goal and missed a chip shot down 7 points. That could have easily deflated the Bears had our offense executed on the subsequent drive. Instead...3 and out.

Also, up 4 on the Bears (38-34), approximately 8 minutes or so left in the game, we get the ball back with a chance to really salt the game away and make a big statement offensively. Again, we crap the bed, albeit with terrible, cute, play calling from Kyle. Running between the tackles proved to be very effective, especially on first downs in several previous drives today, and Kyle was too shy and lacked the courage to trust his running game in arguably the most critical drive of the game. It leads to the Bears taking the lead and nearly stealing the win.

If anything, today proved that there are still several enormous hurdles this team needs to clear in order to win consistently over the next 10 weeks of football in all facets of the game.

The Defense looked pretty damned good until that scrub backup came in running all over the place. It's like we can play with any QB in the league but like the rookie QB streak, show anything different and we can't stop it. Thats gotta be Haslett.

The Defense looked pretty damned good until that scrub backup came in running all over the place. It's like we can play with any QB in the league but like the rookie QB streak, show anything different and we can't stop it. Thats gotta be Haslett.

In Haslett's defense... he, as well as the rest of the defense, was game planning against Cutler... The defense played VERY well based on the game plan they installed, and that's worth noting. Especially considering how bad we were, even when we knew what was coming in the first few weeks of the year.

ok...so...glad the offense scored on long drives. hugely better than start of the season. but...from what I saw...the long-term problem is still there: that offensive line was getting pushed into the backfield A LOT. it's still a long-term problem that has to be fixed.

It was a great game.

1. We won!
2. Our offense was rolling. Still some headscratches along the way, but hey, it's all good.
3. After Cutler left, we all got to enjoy watching John Elway come up short of beating us. And...
4. We got to watch The Hogs play again. Although, they were playing for the Bears.
5. We only gave up 1 return for a TD!
6. We won!
7. We're gonna go to Denver and beat their ass!!!

Wooohoooo!!!!!

Griffin is finally getting back to his old self. With a full-speed Griffin back there we have a chance against any team in the league. I can see this team winning 7-8 games now. I don't think Griffin is back to full strength yet though. He still looks more like Michael Vick than the Robbert Griffin of last year. I think (hope) he'll continue to improve as the season wears on.

I questioned the Jordan Reed pick. Silly me. That's all I have to say about that.

Special teams is embarrassingly bad. Who ever thought we'd miss Danny Smith?

Defense ... well they played an amazing first half, which was almost undone by dumb mistakes on offense and special teams. Defense played a terrible second half. We won't get away with that every week.

Story of my life. Redskins find their offense, lose their defense. Special teams has been solid/adequate for the most of the last 15 years, now they're costing us games.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking Travis. If we could ever play well in all 3 aspects of the game in the same game, we'd dominate.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking Travis. If we could ever play well in all 3 aspects of the game in the same game, we'd dominate.

Yeah. What separates good teams from the rest of the league is consistent, disciplined play. If you don't commit penalties and can play consistently you wind up winning more than you lose; and you have something to build on. When you're inconsistent you're constantly putting out fires in terms of players/positions and never actually progressing. When you commit more 5+ penalties on a regular basis you wind up having to dig out of holes or having the game on the line when it shouldn't be there to begin with.

I have no idea what we'll look like at the end of the season but the inconsistency and lack of basic discipline 7 weeks into the 4th year under Shanahan is not a good sign.

Yeah. There's only so much you can blame on Griff's injury. The discipline issues are not part of that equation, imo. Merriweather's a big part of that as has been discussed; if/when he gets suspended, some of those penalties will get cut down on some.

The Broncos defense is pretty bad. Last night their secondary was torched by Luck. And they couldn't control him on the ground either.

The Redskins may give up yards and points but Denver will as well.

coaching...IMO.

edit: meant to quote Boone's post on all 3 phases.

the other component - in the short period I watched - is that it looked like the Indy defense was flying to the ball on every play. very aggressive, physical football.

Hey, I was close in my prediction that our offense would be in fairly decent shape by weeks 6 or 7. Evidently people whining to bench RG3 in the first few weeks of the season have never heard about that "pesky thing" called timing. Everything is about timing and when you don't get enough real game reps in in preseason it's going to take awhile to get the timing down with your receivers. I agree RG3 still isn't quite the RG3 from last year, yet. But it was nice to see him lead the offense to some serious point production yesterday :D

Now if we can get the ST's poop in a scoop I'd be feeling a lot more confident. That said, I definitely don't think we're out of the race :)

Special teams is embarrassingly bad. Who ever thought we'd miss Danny Smith?
I said that exact same thing to my dad yesterday :laugh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.