• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Worst TV Has to Offer

There isn't a lot of great comedy work being done right now, though Louie on FX is hysterical.
I agree, comedy is too watered down these days. I miss shows like Roseanne and Married With Children that didn't care what people thought about them. They wouldn't be as funny today as they seemed back then, but at the time they were great. Louie is awesome, but doesn't get credit, because it has no real mainstream audience.

30 Rock is uneven, but by and large pretty good, I have professed my love for Cougartown elsewhere, and Community and Parks and Rec have both hit their strides nicely.
If not for Tracy Morgan, 30 Rock would have been cancelled years ago, he's the only funny one on the show, and I only watch it by accident these days. Alec Baldwin is just too lame for me to stomach.

I just don't get either BBT or TAAHM, at all. The delivery is canned, isn't there still a laugh track? Ugh. After being told by people I respect that TAAHM was hysterical, we tried for four episodes; we have a different sense of humor, I guess.
Like any show, they have good and bad episodes, they even had a couple of seasons that were horrible. But if you watch the first 2 seasons when Jake was like 9 years old, they are some of the funniest things ever put on tv. The laugh track is irritating as hell though, I've always hated that.

And El, I agree dramas aren't great on network TV these days, but you just missed Friday Night Lights, which was a GREAT show, Parenthood has its moments, and even the Good Wife is pretty good. You need to try Justified though. I am rewatching the first season now and it is a helluva show. Really, REALLY well done. Exciting, entertaining, thrilling, funny, etc. On AMC, Mad Men is at times, extraordinary. The Suitcase last year is one of the best hours of television I have ever experienced.
Whoa wait....you're a fan of The Good Wife and Cougartown? I'm worried about you, I believe we need an intervention :laugh:

Oh, and Extreme, I never liked Seinfeld when it was on. My college roommate LOVED it, obsessed about it. I never got it. I find it more funny now than I did then, but still not my favorite (sorry everyone else).
Ok, you've redeemed yourself :D I will give it to them that they have some funny characters, but it was such watered down safe comedy, and way too cheeky for e. I just never got the infatuation. Jerry Seinfeld and Michael Richards just aren't funny, and Jason Alexander is one of the actors who irritates me more than mos actors in tv history. I just couldn't get into it. My brother was addicted to it, but every show seemed like it was on a continuous loop, always the same thing week in and week out.

Cheers I love, but it's more of a nostalgia thing for me. I watched that growing up, and that's more about memories than it being a really great sitcom.
Cheers was ahead of my time by a few years, but the episodes I watched (the last 2 seasons) I didn't find more than slightly funny, and don't recall ever actually laughing when I watched it.

Friends? Meh. The first two seasons were really good, after that, not so much. My all time favorite sitcom may just be Scrubs (first 5-6 seasons). Huge Bill Lawrence fan, loved Spin City too (with Michael J Fox, NOT Charlie Sheen). And Sports Night is another all time fav.
Scrubs was comedy gold, and I still haven't got over that being gone. When I meet people who hated it, it just makes me wonder what the hell they were watching, it was hilarious. Spin City was awesome too, and I liked both versions. It was the first thing I ever saw Charlie Sheen in that I didn't hate him in.

(I will add the entire family likes Wipeout. But I rationalize and tell myself its a gameshow.)
:laugh: I just saw that for the first time last week and have to admit that I laughed my ass off. Something about it just gets me, I loved it.

First off, there is no such thing, for in reality, there wouldn't be cameras present.
Deadliest Catch? Swamp People? Ax Men? IRT? You can't fake people getting killed and seriously injured. Most reality tv is staged, but there are exceptions.

"Reality TV" as a whole is the worst thing to happen to television, ever.
I agree for the most part, because most new show ideas seem to be stupid reality shows instead of actual shows that require talent. They all go for the quick buck these days.

I agree with *gulp* Extreme, Big Bang Theory is hilarious. The delivery is intentionally canned - the characters are inherently corny like that because they're playing nerdy scientists. That's how I interpret it, anyway. And laugh tracks exist on most comedies, don't they? I admit I don't watch many Sitcoms. (EDIT: Sports Night, while phenomenal, definitely had a laugh track also. Not always a bad thing!)

2 and a half men is terrible, especially now with Ahole Kutcher. And Extreme is also (still) wrong about Seinfeld, top 5 funniest show to ever be on television! *Phew*

(Bottom line, we all have different senses of humor, nobody is right or wrong about a certain show - that's why they're all on TV :)).

I also agree with the general sentiment about reality TV being terrible - I'll watch The Biggest Loser with the gf from time to time, but that's about it. I used to be a Top Chef fan, but even that got a little too "reality" for me, and I haven't watched the past two seasons. Jersey Shore was the most-watched show in America in 2011 - be afraid.

EDIT: Love me some Storage Wars, but then I also love all those "trash to treasure" type shows (even Antiques Roadshow). Kind of cool seeing that stuff turn out to be worth a ton of money. Also cool to see the history of some of the items.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Swamp People, Deadliest Catch, and American pickers, but these spinoffs or similar shows are awful. I tried to watch Big Shrimp. The show is awful and boring. Still trying to make my mind up about Moonshiners.

I agree with *gulp* Extreme
Fan me off, I'm having hot flashes, something isn't right. There's a glitch in the matrix :laugh:

2 and a half men is terrible, especially now with Ahole Kutcher. And Extreme is also (still) wrong about Seinfeld, top 5 funniest show to ever be on television! *Phew*
Seinfeld still sucks, but Ashton Kutcher is not the right fit for any show. Although Two And A Half Men has gotten a lot better since they took the focus off of him and put it on Alan.

(Bottom line, we all have different senses of humor, nobody is right or wrong about a certain show - that's why they're all on TV :)).
Exactly. Jersey Shore and Survivor are two glaring examples of how bad someones taste in tv can be. Both hugely successful, both total ****.

EDIT: Love me some Storage Wars, but then I also love all those "trash to treasure" type shows (even Antiques Roadshow). Kind of cool seeing that stuff turn out to be worth a ton of money. Also cool to see the history of some of the items.
I prefer Storage Hunters to Storage Wars, just because Mr. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep gets on my nerves. If you haven't seen Real Deal yet, you should check it out, that's pretty awesome too. The season is over, but they have all the episodes on On Demand if you have it, it's on the History Channel.

The fact that real things can happen on these so-called "reality" shows doesn't change the fact that there is little real about them. People act differently when "they know" there's a camera somewhere.

It's nothing but junk food for the mind. Which we all enjoy from time to time. I just prefer different junk.

And I get as much comedy here as I do anywhere else.

Some of the "reality" is as unbelievable as anything they can dream up for TV.

The fact that real things can happen on these so-called "reality" shows doesn't change the fact that there is little real about them. People act differently when "they know" there's a camera somewhere.

It's nothing but junk food for the mind. Which we all enjoy from time to time. I just prefer different junk.

And I get as much comedy here as I do anywhere else.

Some of the "reality" is as unbelievable as anything they can dream up for TV.
I agree, and most of what is "reality" is scripted and redone for better angles, as I was told by Rudy Bosch after he was on Survivor. Some are blatantly faked like Pawn Stars and Operation Repo, but shows that constantly have severe injuries and deaths, such as Deadliest Catch, Ax Men, Swamp People, etc - you can't reenact that.

extreme,

can you stop with the super long posts, please? seriously, it kills threads entirely.
The posts in here were only long because of all the quotes. I know you're being cordial about it, and I respect that, but I will say politely that nobody should ever dictate how another person talks or posts, people are all different. One and two words posts irritate me, but I just deal with it. It's part of a message board. It could be worse, at least I don't underline everything like Larry. :laugh:

Besides, there are a few people on this site way worse at it than me. I don't see how it kills threads though, that's malarkey. We all have our quirks and qualms, and that's fine. It's just how things are.

ANYTHING by Tyler Perry or on TBS - its NOT "very funny" and I dont get why they keep giving him shows. who the hell even watches those?
I agree completely. The only thing worse than Tyler Perry, is the fact he thinks putting his name all over it makes it better. Who the hell are his fans?

figures you couldnt tone it down. im just going to do what I need to do and get rid of looking at your antagonism posts.
Antagonism? How so? You were telling me how to post, and I politely explained that there's no need to tell people how to post. No need to get riled up over it.

How about this....I'll post shorter things if you post longer ones. We got a deal? :D

At its core, I actually like reality tv. When done right, it can be very compelling. The very early seasons of The Real World were great in my opinion, as were the earlier seasons of True Life on MTV.

I like True Life. Even the ones about really stupid things. The Real World though? Nothing real about it. And there's nothing worse than those jackasses on those shows who think being on the Real World 37 makes them a celebrity, as if more than a dozen people have even watched it during the last decade and a half.

You wanna hear about horrible taste in tv? My sister is a huge fan of Jersey Shore, Survivor and The Real World.......sadly, she's 33 years old.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.