• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

the totally unfair, completely subjective, too early poll

fansince62

do we take the NFE again and run deeper into the play-offs?

let's assume Robert starts from game 1 or 2.

this is a back-handed way of asking: were we lucky cuz the Iggles self-destructed and the Gints suffered injuries? the boys? eh....efff em.

we can re-attack this question post draft, post FA, post pre-season.

I think we can. The Defense will be better if for no reason other than returning healthy players - and until demonstrated otherwise...they can't stop our O!!!

I think solid play from Kirk Cousins would be enough to win this division. It just isn't the division it once was. With a healthy Griffin for 10-12 games? We win it easily...

I think Dallas is going to employ an outdated defense with Monte that will have TE's shredding them down the middle of the field, their LB's suck (except Sean Lee...if he is healthy), they have an aging Ware and an out of position Spencer (if they can re-sign him). That is just on defense. The Giants will likely rebound, they will give us some competition for the title and Philly sucks. Chip Kelly has his work cut out for him.

One thing we had in 2012 we have very rarely had over the past decade or so has been an OL that remained healthy. As much as I know we need secondary help, what I most often question about what kind of results we can expect in 2013 is what would happen should we NOT be so lucky injury-wise on the OL. If we DO get lucky there again, I think we're even money to head into December right there in contention for the division.

If we don't? That I can't begin to answer until we see what the team does in FA and draft to fortify things up front.

If you look at the NFC East, there hasn't been a really dominant team in the division in years. I don't think we just got lucky that the division wasn't strong. It hasn't been strong in awhile (yes I know the Giants just won the SB, but they were 9-7 had the #32 ranked run game and the #27 ranked defense. They wouldn't have even made the playoffs if we'd been this good in 2011.)

I will begin by saying anything is possible, but it sure looks like the division is ours for the taking for awhile:

The Eagles' window has slammed shut. They won't be good again for awhile, and that's if they actually chose a decent coach and draft a real QB, neither of which is a given at this point.

The Cowboys haven't had a winning season since '09. They've only had two 10+ winning seasons since '04. And they don't appear to have a clue what to do about it.

The Giants are the best team in the division, but they haven't exactly been dominant. They've just been feeding off the fact that the NFC East hasn't been that good. They will compete simply because they generally maintain a decent balance and have Manning, but I think we've discovered they are beatable and not the grinders they used to be a few years ago.

Bottom line is if we are able to maintain the level of play we showed during the second half of '12 I think the division will be ours for the taking for a long time. With any luck, what we saw this year was a shift in the balance of power in the NFC East. Of course some of it also depends on The Knee, but it sure looks to me like our window just opened.

I agree with El, Cousins could take us to another division title.

Robert, who WILL be healthy, will take us all the way to New York.

I'd also like to point out that this poll is totally unfair, completely objective, and way too early.

PS ~ Welcome home, my friend.

10+ wins. I expect nothing less. Good teams win 10+ games year in, year out.

Dominant offense in a weak division; I'm with Henry, our window just opened up for a long period of domination in the NFC East. I'm fairly certain the Eagles will be recovering for a season or two (maybe even longer), and the Cowboys will struggle to be relevant until they get a new GM. Should be a two-horse race for the foreseeable future between us and the Giants, as our offense grows around RG3 and the line only gets better.

so OM....and chime in Henry ... :) ... I think the team has done a good job rebuilding its O-line over the last couple seasons thru the draft. yea.....we have to see some of these guys in sustained action (Leriebus, Hurt), but it appears they have been sneakily developing the "relief" for two consecutive drafts now. even at our sore spot - RT - we did ok this year with Polumbus and can draft his replacement in the 3rd rnd.

i think there's a lack of respect for the eagles and giants front offices and that's leading to some pretty low expectations.

i think there's a lack of respect for the eagles and giants front offices and that's leading to some pretty low expectations.

The good team-building that occurred over the years was in large part due to Andy Reid, who is no longer with them. It was the Eagles' front office just went all Vinny Cerrato and fell flat on their faces. They just hired a gimmick coach very similar to Steve Spurrier. Its almost like they went back and looked at the Vinny Cerrato Redskins for inspiration...quite unbelievable, actually.

The good team-building that occurred over the years was in large part due to Andy Reid, who is no longer with them. It was the Eagles' front office just went all Vinny Cerrato and fell flat on their faces. They just hired a gimmick coach very similar to Steve Spurrier. Its almost like they went back and looked at the Vinny Cerrato Redskins for inspiration...quite unbelievable, actually.

Yeah... I 100% agree with you on how they changed their tactics, and how they predictably failed.

I guess I just disagree with you on who is to blame for it. We could argue back and forth over it but the truth is that we'll know within the next 2-3 years who was to blame for what.

Sorry, but as McNabb went, so went the Eagles. That's been obvious for many years now. Such is the way things go with all teams, unless they get extremely lucky like the Packers or (most likely) the Colts. The Eagles were a pass first, second and third team and once their franchise passer left they gasped and sputtered and eventually crashed. I concede that they could find their next franchise QB this year. Hell, maybe it's Foles. But that's far from a given, and until they find that guy their window is shut.

As for the Giants actually being better than the team that's missed the playoffs three of the past four years, we'll see.

so OM....and chime in Henry ... :) ... I think the team has done a good job rebuilding its O-line over the last couple seasons thru the draft. yea.....we have to see some of these guys in sustained action (Leriebus, Hurt), but it appears they have been sneakily developing the "relief" for two consecutive drafts now. even at our sore spot - RT - we did ok this year with Polumbus and can draft his replacement in the 3rd rnd.

I think our line could be better. I do think we've been secretly building some decent depth with guys like you mentioned but our starters, most notably at RT, could use an upgrade. I'd like to get a replacement for Lich too, simply because I'm worried about his durability. But honestly, I've see worse. :)

I'm with Al, I think the OL has been significantly upgraded at least depth-wise, since Shanahan got here. There are those who have their doubts about the OL, but OL play across the league was pretty bad last year. I think we should be greatful we have players that fit our scheme and do fairly well, considering.

No doubt the OL in 2012 was better than we've seen years. And yes, the Skins have, finally, after more than adecade, started to invest IN the OL with mid- and late-round picks. My point, however, was that in 2012, the overall performance of that line was hugely impacted by something no Redskins OL in recent memory has---remaining intact.

We have no idea how our depth---guys like McRib and Hurt---would fare if pressed into service over any length of time. They MIGHT be great--I certainly hope so. But we don't, and won't, know that until the day comes that they are.

So all I'm saying is ... I'm glad last year the OL showed so much improvement over the course of the year. And I'm glad this iteration of the Redskin FO seems to understand that you have to block someone up front to win. But I'm still not comfortable, largely due to the fact that the 2012 OL stayed far healthier than any we've seen in these parts for a very long time and I think that tends to skew the equation. Staying as healthy as we did up front last year was an exception in today's NFL, not a rule.

I would dearly like to see an aggressive approach to continuing the up front upgrade. The QB we finally landed demands nothing less.

Om, I think part of that is due to the fact that our OL was younger than it's been in a long time. Can anyone tell me the last time every single starter was under 30? I believe it was 2005 ... which was also coincidentally the last time the line was healthy almost all season long and played as well as this one.

This upcoming year, obviously, the line will be a year older, and Chester and Monty are both now 30. But if we do go ahead and find us a young RT the line gets younger again. And deeper.

And that's how you do it.:)

Can't argue with that, H. Wouldn't even if I could. :)

Clearly age is a factor in consdiring durability, but not the only one. Bum frickin' luck seems to play a big part too.

We aren't disagreeing on anything here. Yes, they were better last year. Yes, they are getting younger. And yes, they need to keep pressing forward on both those fronts.

I want it all, and I want it now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.