• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The State of Officiating

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
So, apparently, the NFL is now frustrated about the officiating in the Rams v Seahawks game because it impacted the standings and allowed the Seahawks to get into the postseason over the Lions. This has been referred to by several sources as the "worst officiated game of the year".

I'm not saying our game against NY was officiated better or worse than this one (although this one has a case to be the worst of the year) but our game absolutely impacted the playoff race as much as this one. If we win that game, we are playing this weekend and the Seahawks are home.

If it was just our game I could chalk it up to a bad game. If it was always just against us I could say we just like to complain.

But, it's everyone. We got a call for us against the iggles when that fumble with a facemask wasn't called. We got it against us with the vagiants.

They are held to no level of accountability. They don't have to face questions from anyone, and you get fined if you dare question what they did or didn't call.

How do you not expect them to feel overly empowered and like Gods when they are given that much?

Congrats NFL you get to spend the next 2 weeks before the biggest event on the planet defending your sport against claims of fixing. What happened yesterday is mindboggling.

I don’t know how the problem, an obvious long-standing problem, can be solved.

Maybe with technology although do we really want 5 hour games with constant stoppages? After all, there could be multiple flags thrown on every play. Every single play. Uncalled penalties are often times worse than called penalties.

The sports leagues embrace of legalized gambling and the money generated is going to be a problem, if it isn’t already. Humans are gonna human.

Two calls stuck with me yesterday. DeVonta Smith’s non-catch that was ruled a catch (even he knew it wasn’t) and the 3rd down redo that benefited KC. I thought I had recorded the game, but alas, and am near certain that Tolbert notified the timekeepers that the game clock and the play clock would start on his signal. The game clock should not have started but did due to Tolbert’s mistake. He should have thrown a flag on himself,

As I said to Om last night, I have never seen a crew have so many issues managing the game clock as we saw in the Chiefs-Bengals game. To make them replay a 3rd down where you stopped them because you can’t get your shit together is mind blowing. Fortunately it didn’t hurt the Bengals but that alone could’ve called the integrity of this one into serious question.

I mean, you are crazy.

But, not because of thinking it was a ref doing something nefarious

Watching the Hou/Jax game and it's hard to argue against the NFL shading things in games using the officiating. I may not believe it but I understand those that do. This officiating is not only bad, it's bad in one direction.

I wish we got some of the ref love the Eagles do. Wow.

Did anyone watch the start of the SNF game? Ravens with a blatant late hit on Herbert out of bounds and no call. They throw the flag on the Charger lineman for retaliating. The Chargers have to settle for a FG after 3rd and long. Next possession, the Ravens punt and the gunner runs right into the returner preventing him from catching the punt. No penalty again, so the Chargers are backed up deep and lose the field position battle early.

Later in the game, the Ravens converted a couple of first downs but the spot had them short. Replay showed in both cases it was a first down. The Ravens do not challenge and run on 4th down missing both. But they shouldn’t have had to challenge. One with Lamar Jackson was close as it was one of those things where the ball crossed the sideline right at the marker. The one with the WR was not close. He was almost a full yard ahead of the marker and they missed it bad.

Just an all around terrible job by the refs. No one will listen to Jon Gruden because of his choice of words when discussing these things, but he was right that they are trying to microwave officials, pushing them through the pipeline before they are already. And it’s showing more and more each year.

Officials have been awful on the christmas day games. The nfl better fix this or it will lead to the destruction of the nfl

Officials have been awful on the christmas day games. The nfl better fix this or it will lead to the destruction of the nfl
By the book it was probably the correct call, but at the beginning of the Ravens v 49ers game, a ref tackled Larmar Jackson in the endzone (couldn't get out the way and they fell over each other). As he was falling, Lamar tried to throw the ball and it landed short of the line of scrimmage. The refs decided to call intentional grounding and give the 49ers a safety. Now, I know the ref is "part of the field" but the ref ought to be credited with the safety since he caused the safety by tackling the QB.

Really think that the officials do play favorites even though they deny it. But it shows.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.