• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Ringer: Dan’s Disaster: How the Washington Redskins Plummeted to Rock Bottom

China

The Team Captain
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Michigan State
Dan's Disaster: How the Washington Redskins Plummeted to Rock Bottom

The professional football team in the nation's capital was the hottest ticket in town for decades. But under Dan Snyder's ownership, the franchise has lost a lot of games and managed to alienate even some of its most dedicated fans. What made one of most unshakable fandoms in America give up on its team?

I will say this for a stadium abandoned by its fans: There's no line for the bathroom.

No line for beer. No line for hot dogs. No line—and no one, save a single solitary soul who seemed to be asking for directions—at the team stores, at least one of which dispatched an honest-to-god barker to stand out front and try to convince Redskins faithful to come in from the concourse and buy a $31.99 GO HOGS! T-shirt or else a $25 red-and-gold elf. Christmas is coming, you know?

Three days before the winter holiday, FedExField is running, alas, a little short on good cheer. I have come to the stadium to see in person what I have heard so often: that, allegedly, a football team plays in Washington. FedExField, just over the Maryland border, is a scant 7 miles as the crow flies from my home in northeast D.C. In the four years that I've lived in the District, I've heard often that this was once a football town, that the people of this city once forsook all else before their Sunday gridiron ritual, that there is, allegedly, a squad of men who compete under the city's name eight times a year just down the road.

But you'd scarcely know it. This is a city still reveling in a sudden glut of sporting championships—the Mystics and Nationals this fall, the Capitals the previous year—and the Redskins, at the tail end of yet another lost season, have slipped into something like obscurity. In just the latest mark of previously unthinkable ignominy, this month saw the Baltimore Ravens, who just secured the AFC's top seed, utterly eclipse viewership for a Redskins game in the same time slot—in the D.C. market.

The fans aren't gone completely—the paying crowd on Sunday, the last home game of the season and a divisional showdown with the New York Giants, is 66,083, meaning only a fifth of the stadium's seats are unspoken for, so you can, for example, find a long line for stale pretzels at the Johnny Rockets, one of the very few concessions stands left open to service the sparsely populated upper deck. But make the mistake of asking a guy hawking Redskins and Giants beanies outside FedEx which one he'd sold more of, and you'll get a look like he thinks—knows—you haven't been paying attention. “Giants,” he says. Take a look later at the stadium's distinctly blue-tinged lower bowl and you'll know he's right. Gulp.

WhenWhen I told friends that I would be attending Sunday's game between the 3-11 Redskins and 3-11 Giants, more than a few tried to intervene. “Wow sorry rip to you,” one texted; “Oh Claire no why,” wrote another.

And not without reason. Since the start of the 1999 season, when Dan Snyder bought the team, the Redskins have gone 142-192. In that time, they have had a winning record in just six seasons and have won a whopping two playoff games. The Snyder era has seen nine head coaches and 22 starting quarterbacks, and, during the past decade and change, a precipitous fall in attendance. In 2008, the team led the league in average attendance, 88,604. By the end of the 2018 season, that number had plummeted 31 percent to 61,028, placing them dead last in the league in terms of percentage of the stadium filled.

This season, things got especially bleak. In the fall, the Redskins made headlines when tickets started going for as little as $6. FedExField, the team's home of 22 years, looked empty on broadcasts, or—worse—so full of opposing fans that Eagles running back Jay Ajayi decreed the teams' divisional showdown this month a home game, a full year after the Redskins since-departed COO asked fans to help “grab that home-field advantage back.” In November, the Washingtonian ran a story detailing the successful completion of what might be called “the Redskins $30 challenge”: Could writer Madeline Rundlett get a ticket, eat, and drink at a game for less than $30? Indeed, she wrote, she could, treating herself to fries, spiked hot chocolate, and what sounded like an exceedingly poor time, all for under her budget.

Last month, Jordan Fabian, a lifelong Redskins fan who grew up in the D.C. suburb of Montgomery County, Maryland, bought tickets to what might well have been the 2019-20 NFL season's worst matchup, a Week 11 showdown between the lowly Redskins and the lowlier Jets at FedEx. Except the Jets, who at that point in the season had a dazzling two victories to Washington's one, looked positively dominant against the home team, thumping them 34-17. But no matter for Fabian: He and his friend had splurged for seats on the club level … and paid all of $11 for the privilege.

“I just spent the game laughing,” he says. “That's about all you can do at this point.”

Click on the link for the full article

Re: The Ringer: Dan's Disaster: How the Washington Redskins Plummeted to Rock Bottom

Pretty depressing when you realize just how bad this team has been managed. I liked her write up all the same

Re: The Ringer: Dan's Disaster: How the Washington Redskins Plummeted to Rock Bottom

That made me go back and read the City Paper article for the first time in a long time... which made me really, really dislike Dan Snyder more and more all over again.

That made me go back and read the City Paper article for the first time in a long time... which made me really, really dislike Dan Snyder more and more all over again.

The crazy part is I believe he genuinely wants to win but for Pete's sake cannot let the reigns go to someone that knows how. If Bruce is let go like right after the game on Sunday there's still a spark of hope. I think it's safe to say we're all meh about it until then.

I'm hoping he's been holding secret interviews for weeks and will announce a new GM right after the Super Bowl

Snyder's biggest problem is that he has never actually built something of substance...he has made most of his money off what other people have built.

He has no clue how to build a foundation. When he first bought the team, he had a decent product, and thought he could do what he'd done to become a billionaire, just throw some money at it and watch those investments increase the bottom line.

What he doesn't seem to get is that you have to start from scratch when the product has been destroyed. And it doesn't help that he has a GM in his ear telling him they are only a couple of pieces away.

Personally, I'm hanging on to the Skins and football in general by a fingernail. Up until this season, I didn't watch a game because of the kneeling bullshit the NFL condoned, and the Skins............................they've been a clusterf**k for years. If Lord Farquaad doesn't oust Allen this year, I'm over it. Done. I already like Sundays better not yelling at the TV, and what I'll probably do is just watch my old DVD's of the Skins glory years when we had a real owner. They'll last me until dan snyder kicks the bucket.

I already like Sundays better not yelling at the TV....

I think this is the greatest gift I've been given in all of this, I just don't care as much to yell at the TV, any longer.

Couple that with my kids being more important, and I have not screamed at the TV since mid-way through last season.

Personally, I'm hanging on to the Skins and football in general by a fingernail. Up until this season, I didn't watch a game because of the kneeling bullshit the NFL condoned, and the Skins............................they've been a clusterf**k for years. If Lord Farquaad doesn't oust Allen this year, I'm over it. Done. I already like Sundays better not yelling at the TV, and what I'll probably do is just watch my old DVD's of the Skins glory years when we had a real owner. They'll last me until dan snyder kicks the bucket.

Wish I had the glory seasons recorded. It'd be great fun to watch a season during the season each time the current craptastic episode is on.

Wish I had the glory seasons recorded. It'd be great fun to watch a season during the season each time the current craptastic episode is on.

It's only a rumor, but I heard one or more of the owners of this site might maybe be able to help with that. Maybe

I have the super bowl wins on dvd that I'd be happy to burn a copy of but the old dvd collection is now with docsandy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snyder's ego + inability to pick the right people lead to the collapse we have seen.

Only a fool keeps Cerrato around or hires a dullard in Jim Zorn.

Allowing a twice failed front office executive in Allen run the team unchecked for 9-10 years was the final straw that broke the fan base and eroded the brand.

The Redskins now are as unpopular as New Coke was back in the 1990's for Coca Cola.

Snyder's ego + inability to pick the right people lead to the collapse we have seen.

Allowing a twice failed front office executive in Allen run the team unchecked for 9-10 years was the final straw that broke the fan base and eroded the brand.

The Redskins now are as unpopular as New Coke was back in the 1990's for Coca Cola.

At least New Coke only stuck around for a couple of years. We've had DS for 20, and I think it's pretty safe to say as an owner, he's been a complete failure

Don't disagree with most of that article. Dave McKenna, however ... not a fan.

At least New Coke only stuck around for a couple of years. We've had DS for 20, and I think it's pretty safe to say as an owner, he's been a complete failure

Why couldn't Crystal Coke stick around, that was actually good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.