• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Quick Question Thread

Beetlejuice

Dogaholic
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Sometimes we just have a quick question, but it doesn't fit in a current thread. I figure it would be good to have a thread for those random questions.

My question, since I'm not a fan of googling medical questions (they always seem to say you have cancer) is this - For several days now, every morning when I wake up I feel deep pain on both sides of my lower back that radiates to the front of my stomach. After an hour so it goes away. Anyone know what this is?

Sounds like sciatica to me brother. And the fact that you're feeling it after being in bed all night makes that more likely. My hips hurt when I wake up...not from exercise because I haven't been doing any :) I'm literally sore from life...lol. I am in the process of losing weight (dropped 10 lbs in the past 10 days or so) and am getting back on the bike again. I don't have nearly as much of that kind of issue when I'm in shape.

Why is Sake referred to as a Wine ?
AFAIK, every other wine is made from fruits.
Sake is made from Rice, a grain.
Beer is made from grains. Liquor is made from grains.
So why is Sake considered a Wine, and neither a liquor or beer ?
Is it something about the way it's made, that qualifies it as a wine ?

Sometimes we just have a quick question, but it doesn't fit in a current thread. I figure it would be good to have a thread for those random questions.

My question, since I'm not a fan of googling medical questions (they always seem to say you have cancer) is this - For several days now, every morning when I wake up I feel deep pain on both sides of my lower back that radiates to the front of my stomach. After an hour so it goes away. Anyone know what this is?

Sounds like it's related to sleep habits, if it shows up in the morning, then eventually goes away.
Hard to get specific, as it could be trial and error, but I'd say experiment with your sleep habits...sleep posture, mattress quality, maybe a mattress topper, other back and nexk support, etc etc

Last edited:
A back roller does wonders for the low back.

And if it's sciatica like Boone suggested, a tennis ball works wonders.

ThIs is the single best thing I've done for my back in the past 10 years. She's got a fancy one, but you can get a foam one like I did for 20 bucks.

Why is Sake referred to as a Wine ?
AFAIK, every other wine is made from fruits.
Sake is made from Rice, a grain.
Beer is made from grains. Liquor is made from grains.
So why is Sake considered a Wine, and neither a liquor or beer ?
Is it something about the way it's made, that qualifies it as a wine ?
The fermentation process to produce sake is completely unique to sake. It actually isn't a wine, beer, or liquor. The fermentation process is closer to beer than anything, but the final product is more like wine. Honestly, I think they only refer to it as wine to avoid confusion and so you know what to expect when you drink it if you've never tried it before.

And if it's sciatica like Boone suggested, a tennis ball works wonders.

ThIs is the single best thing I've done for my back in the past 10 years. She's got a fancy one, but you can get a foam one like I did for 20 bucks.

I need to try this for real.

Got the same issues which I visit a chiropractor as well as physical therapy for. Strengthen your core/hip flexors and stretch as much as possible.

My question is why aren’t more people kayak fishing? Exercising while fishing is such a fantastic concept

I tried a back roller and it made me terribly worse. I was in so much more pain, that it took al the strength I had to avoid going to the doctor.
I seriously thought it injured me badly. Fortunately, it eventually went away after about a couple weeks.
Now, I'm not saying back rollers are bad. I'm sure they work, but you just have to be extremely careful about the proper technique you're using.
Because keep in mind, it's putting tremendous pressure on sensitive body parts, like the spine, nerves etc.
So if it's the "wrong" kind of pressure, I believe it can actually hurt you.

I tried a back roller and it made me terribly worse. I was in so much more pain, that it took al the strength I had to avoid going to the doctor.
I seriously thought it injured me badly. Fortunately, it eventually went away after about a couple weeks.
Now, I'm not saying back rollers are bad. I'm sure they work, but you just have to be extremely careful about the proper technique you're using.
Because keep in mind, it's putting tremendous pressure on sensitive body parts, like the spine, nerves etc.
So if it's the "wrong" kind of pressure, I believe it can actually hurt you.

You are literally the first person I have ever heard this from, sorry you had a negative experience. I have been recommending their use for years and using one personally on a daily basis for years with great results. I even started my 92 year old father on one and he has had significant improvements in reducing nerve compression issues.

The use in that photo is very good for improving posture but to work on spinal nerve compression issue like sciatica it should be sideways not longways.

You are literally the first person I have ever heard this from, sorry you had a negative experience. I have been recommending their use for years and using one personally on a daily basis for years with great results. I even started my 92 year old father on one and he has had significant improvements in reducing nerve compression issues.

The use in that photo is very good for improving posture but to work on spinal nerve compression issue like sciatica it should be sideways not longways.
Are you talking about my post? That is a video, she shows the technique you mention.

And btw, I am not trying to discourage anyone from using it, and not claiming it does not work.
I am just cautioning people to use the proper technique. As not doing so, could be damaging.

Last edited:
Got the same issues which I visit a chiropractor as well as physical therapy for. Strengthen your core/hip flexors and stretch as much as possible.

My question is why aren’t more people kayak fishing? Exercising while fishing is such a fantastic concept
That actually sounds awesome.

My question is why aren’t more people kayak fishing?

In general, it's a lot harder to catch, and especially keep, the fish these days.
Human intervention (over-fishing, environmental damage, etc) has reduced a lot of the fish population. And to compound
the problem for fishermen, there are stricter restrictions on what fish, or size fish, that you can keep.
They don't make fishing like they used to.
I'm not one of those guys who is content to just fish, without catching ; Or to fish and catch, without keeping.
I want to take home actual fish. It just seems a lot harder to do now, for the average person, with some exceptions to geographical location of course.

The fermentation process to produce sake is completely unique to sake. It actually isn't a wine, beer, or liquor. The fermentation process is closer to beer than anything, but the final product is more like wine. Honestly, I think they only refer to it as wine to avoid confusion and so you know what to expect when you drink it if you've never tried it before.
I think I have PTSD. Not from combat. But from the time I made a Korean Rice Wine, Makgeolli , at home. It was so bad it literally made me sick (and nothing makes me sick). #LifeLessons #Don'tMakeMakgeolliAtHome

Kayaking (for me) is one of the most uncomfortable activities ever invented. Literally one of the hardest things on my back I have ever experienced. I have been interested in those Hobie kayaks that have a center console, foot pedals, and flippers underneath that move the kayak - I think they'd be really fun and much more enjoyable than the standard torture machine.

Yeah the companies are getting more creative every year regarding comfort. Hobie is definitely top of the line, though it reflects heavily in their pricing. Comfortable seating will play a major part in my shopping, right behind stability.

Edit: I’m kinda leaning toward a Bonafide 127 at the moment for my starter yak

9887F568-944D-44A2-BC9D-E3560F127C89.jpeg

Exactly how much beer is too much beer? Asking for a friend

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.