• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Legend of the Gold Pants

@DCGoldPants

The Rookie
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score
Got a twitter feed out there that just updates with RSS news and other twitter posts relating to the Redskins and those AWESOME AWESOME Gold Pants.

If you guys are twitter people, please follow @SkinsGoldPants.

I don't know about you guys. But I loved the look live from my seats and hope its back to stay.

Viva La Gold!

Got a twitter feed out there that just updates with RSS news and other twitter posts relating to the Redskins and those AWESOME AWESOME Gold Pants.

If you guys are twitter people, please follow @SkinsGoldPants.

I don't know about you guys. But I loved the look live from my seats and hope its back to stay.

Viva La Gold!

I heard that those are their home jerseys this year. They will also be wearing them IN Dallas as Dallas is wearing white.

I heard that those are their home jerseys this year. They will also be wearing them IN Dallas as Dallas is wearing white.

I'm not one to usually believe in karma or curses. But it really felt like a new era started Sunday night.

How many games in the past would we have lost?

Do I really credit the Gold Pants? No.

But making them into a cult following type of thing is awesome in my opinion.

I'm ambivalent on them as of today...

My first instant reaction was negative, I'll admit, because I'm pretty much an affirmed traditionalist on the Skins unis.

But I also have to admit they're slowly growing on me. If the Skins come out and beat Houston on Sunday wearing those bad boys, it's going to be hard not to melt just a little bit more. I'm prepared to chance it.

I'm a traditionalist as well, but I am old enough to remember the gold pants and burgundy jerseys. I loved the look when saw them in pregame show. Felt like the spirit of George Allen was on the field after seeing them.

I do like this look but I have to admit, I did not like seeing Dallas wear white in our house!

Yeah, felt like the great teams of the 70s to me. I used to have pictures of Charlie Taylor, Diron Talbot, Larry Brown and Chris Hanburger on the wall of my room as a kid and all of them were in the burgundy jerseys with gold pants in those representations. Watching them last night really felt a bit like coming home to me.

My first instant reaction was negative, I'll admit, because I'm pretty much an affirmed traditionalist on the Skins unis.

But I also have to admit they're slowly growing on me. If the Skins come out and beat Houston on Sunday wearing those bad boys, it's going to be hard not to melt just a little bit more. I'm prepared to chance it.

one leg at a time type...eh?

I'm a traditionalist as well, but I am old enough to remember the gold pants and burgundy jerseys. I loved the look when saw them in pregame show. Felt like the spirit of George Allen was on the field after seeing them.

I don't quite understand how a traditionalist could be against gold pants, when that is the traditional uniform of the Washington Redskins. The white pants are the new kid on the block, relatively speaking.

I'd say the correct thing to say is that you're anti-traditionalists!

Well, every time I see pics from the game. I like the Gold more. LOVE the Gold car flags they handed out at the game too.

what's not to like? they looked pretty dang kewell!

Well, every time I see pics from the game. I like the Gold more.

Pretty much sums up my feelings as well-I like the look-it really stands out.

Besides, every tradition has to start someplace-with renewed hopes for the team's success could this represent the start of a new one, perhaps?

When first I noticed the color of my blood, twas Burgundy and Gold I saw.

I hope going back to that will be, permanent.

The white jerseys look good with the gold pants as well.

White on white, and even more so, Burgundy on Burgundy, were, and are, abominations.

The Burgundy and white combos are acceptable, but they should now be our "Throwback" uniforms.

I was so happy to see the gold pants. And beating the Cowboys in them was icing on the cake.

I don't quite understand how a traditionalist could be against gold pants, when that is the traditional uniform of the Washington Redskins. The white pants are the new kid on the block, relatively speaking.

I'd say the correct thing to say is that you're anti-traditionalists!
I associate the burgundy over white and white over burgundy with the Glory Years, brother. That's never going to change. Traditions don't necessarily have to predate others. :)

As to the gold...problem I have had with going back to the future with gold pants is that prior to Sunday night I'd seen nothing to indicate that they'd get them right.

The mustard yellow throwbacks (yellow helmet) they broke out a couple years agom for instance, made me wince, the spear throwbacks with gold pants under Spurrier were...well, not quite right plus we looked like a joke of a team while wearing them...and most of the 'mockups' I'd seen heading into this season with proposed gold pants just didn't look right. Too many stripes, not enough stripes, not the right shade...always something.

So when they jogged out the other night, I had to watch through a bit of a preconceived "I'm not going to ilke this" filter. Like I said though, I'm getting over it. They did a pretty good job.

I'm keeping in mind of course that we beat the fricken' Cowboys wearing them, so there's a bit of a filter there, too. If we get smoked by the Texans this week in those bad boys, I wonder if perception---mine and other's---will change.

Is this a great country or what? We really care about this. :cool4:

My reaction was the same as Om's and conditionally continues. I'd actually be OK with a Gold pants if they chose gold pants, but Packer yellow? It looked like Heinz had scored sponsorship for the night and was offering up the Ketchup and Mustard look.

Burgundy and actual Gold =good

Closer to red and mustard yellow...not so good.

Oh and changing traditions isn't necessarily bad per se but trading the look of an era that scored multiple trophies for one that got none isn't exactly inspiring if you know history. A change as a tribute to dad and just for the sake of change..O.K. but if this is supposed to be a return to glory thing then they chose a crappy era to emulate.

Oh and changing traditions isn't necessarily bad per se but trading the look of an era that scored multiple trophies for one that got none isn't exactly inspiring if you know history. A change as a tribute to dad and just for the sake of change..O.K. but if this is supposed to be a return to glory thing then they chose a crappy era to emulate.

While I agree with you and Om regarding the tradition of winning in White on Burgundy or vice versa, I still liked this look more than I thought I would. Although, it still irks me to no end that we allowed Dallas to wear white in our house. That just doesn't bode well with me.

The only issue I have with your statement is the crappy era remark. If you are referring to the 60's then you're right, but I am too young to remember those years. I only have the old reels and photos to go by. What I equate the Burgundy over Gold look to is the George Allen era. That was not a crappy era by any means. He developed a culture of winning in DC that grew on us and led to our level of expectations rising.

What I equate the Burgundy over Gold look to is the George Allen era. That was not a crappy era by any means. He developed a culture of winning in DC that grew on us and led to our level of expectations rising.
Exactly. Made our first trip to the Super Bowl in those "crappy era" uni's.
Black Sunday had us in the "multiple trophies" uni's.

The first time we kicked the Cowboys asses in an NFC Championship game, we were in those "crappy era" uni's.

The Norv years were all in those "multiple trophies" uni's, right? Meaning we can all pick and choose what we want to remember.

But as I said earlier, B on B was atrocious. W on W wasn't much better. If I could get a contract, signed in blood, that we would NEVER wear either of those two vomit inducing cluster****s of a uniform again, I'd be a happy man.

By comparison it IS a crappy era, that was my only point. Of course as a Redskins fan who knows his team history I get what Allen brought to this franchise but there really is no qualitative comparison between the two eras. Joe Montana isn't doing his thing and the Gibbs era is downright dynastic, we'd have gotten more than 3 trophies. Allen got none....nostalgia aside there really is no comparison between the two.

I'm with you on the B on B and W on W.

By comparison it IS a crappy era, that was my only point. Of course as a Redskins fan who knows his team history I get what Allen brought to this franchise but there really is no qualitative comparison between the two eras. Joe Montana isn't doing his thing and the Gibbs era is downright dynastic, we'd have gotten more than 3 trophies. Allen got none....nostalgia aside there really is no comparison between the two.

I'm with you on the B on B and W on W.

It was unclear to me that it was a comparison between the two. I just thought you meant in general. The Allen era was certainly the lesser of the two.

I also believe the jersey selection is/was Bruce Allen paying tribute to his father and a grand time in Redskins' history. The Over the Hill Gang will always be legend in DC. And it appears they are trying their hardest to avoid the Gibbs' era comparisons. This seems to be a great way to harken back thoughts of old glory while maintaining a new identity separate from the Super Bowl years.

Over the last decade, Snyder has tried hard to go back to the Gibbs' glory, going so far as re-hiring him. Although it brought us something to cheer for a few short years, trying to return to Glory wasn't working. I think it is important to remember the past, it was fantastic! I also think we need to look forward to new glory. And I think this new look represents that in more ways than we have been discussing.

I think Snyder still has some input in decisions like the jersey selection (marketing). I believe he and Allen are working together to market this team as a new product since here has been little mention of the Gibbs' Glory Days upon the arrival of Allen and Shanahan.

We have been wearing Burgundy on white or white on burgundy for a long time. This look has been with us since the mid-70's with some differences thrown in every so often. As much as I hate to see the Cowgirls wear white in our stadium, I also believe this is a great marketing tool to give this team a new identity with the changes that have taken place over the past year while giving us a bit of nostalgia in the process. I believe this is another move by the front office that exhibits a new attitude.

If they had gone with the gold pants, burgundy tops with a gold helmet, I would say they are trying too hard to go back, but they kept the burgundy helmet with the Redskins' logo instead of the gold with the burgundy R. It gives us that twinge of nostalgia while remaining something new.

I like it!

Oh yeah: I did like white on white and burgundy on burgundy! I still maintain that Penn State's home jerseys are the best looking jersey's in college football so...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.