• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Last of Us

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Don't stop reading... It's not what you think - this one's not about the ever-shrinking Washington Football fanbase.

I'm a horror fan, and for a long while I have enjoyed post-Apocalyptic shows like 'The Walking Dead'. We usually find out quickly in these types of dramas that the enemy turns out not just to be the pod people, or the zombies, or the living dead, but those humans who survive as well. And that's certainly the case in 'The Last of Us', HBO's new drama based on a popular video game. This time around, it's not the beloved virus that sends humankind to the brink of extinction. Instead, global warming results in the mutation of Cordyceps, a mushroom strain that can apparently even in real life, take over the nervous system of some animals. It doesn't go well for the humans. Clearly this is why you gas-guzzling, big carbon footprint SOBs are going to be the end of all of us.

But as with 'The Walking Dead' (which really is a much better show than many 'oh great - another zombie series' critics want to acknowledge), the story here is really about what happens to society and surviving humanity. Sometimes I wonder why civilization seems to immediately break down into mayhem, violence, and murderous treachery in these things, but then I watch the SOTU Address, and I get it.

This is a really good show. I know nothing about the video game - and let's face it movies and series based on games don't have a stellar record of cinematic glory - but this one might be the exception. The characters are amazing. The actors are amazing. And so far, the story lines are compelling. Watch the first 2 episodes and it's 'oh okay, I see where this is going... I've seen it before'. And then comes a pretty brave (even in 2023) 3rd episode that will really blow you away if you still have a beating compassionate heart in your chest.

If you aren't already sucked in, I'd recommend you go to HBO and binge the first 4 episodes. I think you're going to want to get on the bus with the rest of us. I mean, as long as you don't have any weird looking wounds or a temperature. It's going to be a good one.

Last edited:
And as with any hot topic TV show or movie, if you want to discuss the details please take advantage of the
option by selecting one of the flag icons in your post toolbar :)

You can also use the inline spoiler tag which will look a little different

I've played this game (and completed it), and I can honestly say, the show has captured some of the same raw emotions I had playing that game.

There have only been 2 or 3 games that can truly trigger an emotional response, having moments in the game actually create anxiety. There were parts of this game that pushed me to the point I would have to play something else afterward before I went to bed to 'cleanse' my palette.

Episode 3 did deviate from the game a bit, but I think the storyline played.... it's a lot more along the lines of what will resonate with current TV watchers.

I have watched all episodes to date and still have absolutely no idea what I think about it, and that is strange for me.

I don’t love it, I don’t hate it, and I’m not ambivalent about it. I will continue to watch as it rolls out but I don’t wait for new episodes with excited anticipation. Again, weird for me and I find that hard to explain.

Nick Offerman’s role in E3 was a pretty big surprise considering I mostly identify him with playing Ron Swanson in Parks & Rec.

On E3... Yeah, could not agree more. That was genius casting. I don't have an ounce of homophobia in me, but I'll confess sometimes I feel as if were we to base our assessment on TV/movies, we would believe 99% of the world's population is gay. I generally don't like having it shoved down my throat and I don't feel I need to be indoctrinated as a member of the universal rainbow association. It's all good, just stop with the societal indoctrination. However - I thought that was a really great episode as, for me anyway, it was about how challenging it is to trust a stranger in that kind of a world where you literally put your survival at risk the millisecond you trust anyone. The fact the characters were gay was incidental to that part of it. I thought it was incredibly well done and the casting of Nick Offerman in that role was genius.

I wouldn't say I've made up my mind completely on the show either. But I do find the mechanism of this particular apocalypse an interesting twist and the main characters are interesting. I was surprised in the initial episode that they immediately killed off the main characters daughter. I think they did that first of all to make it clear just how brutal the future is going to be going forward, and also to put you on notice that no character is safe in this series. I definitely am sucked in already though and I will look forward to every episode (until given reasons not to).

On E3...

I wouldn't say I've made up my mind completely on the show either. But I do find the mechanism of this particular apocalypse an interesting twist and the main characters are interesting. I was surprised in the initial episode that they immediately killed off the main characters daughter. I think they did that first of all to make it clear just how brutal the future is going to be going forward, and also to put you on notice that no character is safe in this series. I definitely am sucked in already though and I will look forward to every episode (until given reasons not to).

Boone, about E3..... The characters in the game were gay... the deviation was that Frank was dead but Bill was alive. https://www.denofgeek.com/games/the-last-of-us-bill-and-frank-game-story-explained/.

As far as the initial episode, that 100% was in line with the storyline of the game.

On E3... Yeah, could not agree more. That was genius casting. I don't have an ounce of homophobia in me, but I'll confess sometimes I feel as if were we to base our assessment on TV/movies, we would believe 99% of the world's population is gay. I generally don't like having it shoved down my throat and I don't feel I need to be indoctrinated as a member of the universal rainbow association. It's all good, just stop with the societal indoctrination. However - I thought that was a really great episode as, for me anyway, it was about how challenging it is to trust a stranger in that kind of a world where you literally put your survival at risk the millisecond you trust anyone. The fact the characters were gay was incidental to that part of it. I thought it was incredibly well done and the casting of Nick Offerman in that role was genius.

100%. It Seems to me that Hollywood is requiring some level of ‘lifestyle’ inclusion in order for projects to get green-lighted. E3 would have been successful no matter the make-up of the two main characters. The topxshelf acting and the writing were what made it.

Loved the game, didn't play the sequel....so far I'm an eh on the show, it's entertaining but it's not something I MUST watch. Luckily in the modern age we can watch whenever we want. I'll continue with the show unless it goes into "slow mode" like TWD and then I'd have to give up on it.

Well, did anyone else find it odd that when the raiders shot Bill, and it appeared to almost certainly be a mortal wound, that the next scene is a decade later and he is fine? It made me wonder if the whole rest of that episode wasn't a fantasy on the part of the survivor - up to and including the 'romantic' joint suicide? Probably not - but he sure liked like a goner after being gut shot...

Last edited:
100%. It Seems to me that Hollywood is requiring some level of ‘lifestyle’ inclusion in order for projects to get green-lighted. E3 would have been successful no matter the make-up of the two main characters. The topxshelf acting and the writing were what made it.

FWIW.... I would normally agree, but this was the storyline in the game.... this wasn't hollywood.

now if you want to say the game makers took that stance, I would probably agree there... but i wouldn't feel right not pointing out that this script is based on a video game from 10 years ago.

I get your point ST, but per the article you posted, the gay relationship was just *alluded to* in the game, never even outright stated. That's a long way from showing love - and sex between male characters in a major hot series. Regardless, whether one 'gets it' personally or doesn't, it is emotionally impactful and the acting was incredible.

I get your point ST, but per the article you posted, the gay relationship was just *alluded to* in the game, never even outright stated. That's a long way from showing love - and sex in a major hot series. Regardless, whether one 'gets it' personally or doesn't, it is emotionally impactful and the acting was incredible.

very fair... I guess I just didn't want people to be upset about the notion of Gay in the show because the script is following another.... but yea... there was some graphic detail that probably was 'unnecessary' that was likely included to reach a certain demographic. I probably over-thought the basis of the response.

Yeah - and don't get me wrong. I'm not *offended* by homosexuality nor it being depicted in media any more than I would be hertosexuality. People are who they are. I don't really 'get' why it does bother some but that's probably a discussion for other places. I do get tired of having it rammed down my throat because I don't need it rammed down my throat.

I get your point - that they are being faithful to the original story even if they do greatly expand on that part of the story. The great thing about this episode in my opinion (and as Chris said) is that it matters not whether this were a man and woman, or a gay couple. The power of it would be the same. I think the fact that any of us can watch that episode and feel it speaks to how far we have come in this world. And if the creators or those involved in this project want to impact society in some broader way, this is a much more effective way of doing it than having every other character gay. That's really my only point.

FWIW.... I would normally agree, but this was the storyline in the game.... this wasn't hollywood.

now if you want to say the game makers took that stance, I would probably agree there... but i wouldn't feel right not pointing out that this script is based on a video game from 10 years ago.

Good to know as I’m not a gamer. I’m still blaming Hollywood though. 😉

Yeah - and don't get me wrong. I'm not *offended* by homosexuality nor it being depicted in media any more than I would be hertosexuality. People are who they are. I don't really 'get' why it does bother some but that's probably a discussion for other places. I do get tired of having it rammed down my throat because I don't need it rammed down my throat.

I get your point - that they are being faithful to the original story even if they do greatly expand on that part of the story. The great thing about this episode in my opinion (and as Chris said) is that it matters not whether this were a man and woman, or a gay couple. The power of it would be the same. I think the fact that any of us can watch that episode and feel it speaks to how far we have come in this world. And if the creators or those involved in this project want to impact society in some broader way, this is a much more effective way of doing it than having every other character gay. That's really my only point.

Well…at least one wasn’t trans. 😉

Lol. Or non-binary. What does one call someone sexually attracted to fungus people? Mycosexual?

I'd really like to shower some spores all over you. That kind of thing...

I've REALLY enjoyed the first two episodes. I'm on board.
Can't wait to see episode 3 so I can go and read all the blurred out text! LOL

Episode 5 is available on HBO Max now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.