• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Hobbit

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Who's been?

Saw it last night in iMax 3D. Not going to give a detailed review, but did want to open the door for impressions, thoughts, discussion...

To me it's the kind of movie you have to go into w/o expectations. I tried not to expect it to be LOR 2.0, for instance. Or to listen to the reviews I'd heard that it was "too slow." If you're going in looking for LOR 2.0, you may be disapointed. But if you come to it with fresh eyes and open mind, I think you may walk out of it asking when Part Two is coming out.

Me, I loved the thing. Love Peter Jackson's love affair with all things Tolkien. Love the cinematography. Love the patient, deliberate pace, offset by almost overwhelming battle scenes and visuals.

Was even ok with a moment or two that almost came off ... well ... almost Hollywood preachy? Mostly because I may have brought that bias in with me.

At any rate, about a half hour into it I had settled into my seat with a small smile on my face, belief properly suspended, and just let the movie wash over me.

Thank you Mr. Jackson.

I've heard its way too long, and that scenes in the book that took two or three pages are expressed in the movie with 30 minute scenes. Well, its one book, about the same length as the other ones, and they made it a trilogy - its going to get long in some parts.

I would not miss this for the world; I am also a huge Tolkien fan and also appreciate Jackson's love for his work. I will be seeing it this weekend at some point and will report back with more detailed thoughts! :)

perfect! I've been waiting to go see it until I can bring my whole extended family of 9 nieces and nephews with us as a way to get out of my Dad's house when we are all there next week visiting. Now I'm even more excited!

The Hobbit was the very first (chapter) book I read out loud to my Mom (with her coaching me along). It has the fondest of memories for me personally.

I lost my Mom 6 months ago and the timing of this movie at one of her favorite times of year makes it a special event for our family and me.

My mom also read The Hobbit (as well as the rest of the trilogy) with me, SS. I have very fond memories of it as well!

My dad read The Hobbit and LOTR to me when I was a kid; I have done the same with my own kids. We went and saw it last weekend, and I loved it. I can not possibly more strongly echo what OM said about expectations. He nailed it.

I did not think it was too long, Lanky, and I loved the additions from the LOTR appendices, thought they were great, fwiw.

OM, how was it in 3D? I have only seen one film so far in 3D that I thought was worth the extra money. Most of the time there are a couple of scenes here and there that are kinda cool, but mostly it's just been a novelty. Thoughts?

OM, how was it in 3D? I have only seen one film so far in 3D that I thought was worth the extra money. Most of the time there are a couple of scenes here and there that are kinda cool, but mostly it's just been a novelty. Thoughts?
I think Jackson did it right.....like Cameron did in Avatar, Jackson didn't feel the need to have stuff flying off the screen so you'd be sure to notice it was in 3D. It struck me as a subtle and immersive 3D, which is what I've come to hope for since Avatar set the new standard.

I can only recall one or two moments or scenes where the 3D seemed unecessary or enhanced...for the vast majority of it, it was simply part of the narrative.

Meaning I liked it. :)

I'll probably see it but as I preferred LotR to The Hobbit in the printed format I expect to have the same reaction to the movies. In fact, I was sort of "ho hum" about the fact that Jackson was making The Hobbit.

And I have to tell you that I am bit hacked that he is being "slow and deliberate" with this one, a much shorter story, when LotR, as good as it was, felt rushed over in some places. Not that he didn't do a magnificent job with it, you understand, but if The Hobbit is 2 (or more) movies, I have tough time with LotR being only 3 movies.

Shrug

I am weird.

I'll probably see it but as I preferred LotR to The Hobbit in the printed format I expect to have the same reaction to the movies. In fact, I was sort of "ho hum" about the fact that Jackson was making The Hobbit.

And I have to tell you that I am bit hacked that he is being "slow and deliberate" with this one, a much shorter story, when LotR, as good as it was, felt rushed over in some places. Not that he didn't do a magnificent job with it, you understand, but if The Hobbit is 2 (or more) movies, I have tough time with LotR being only 3 movies.

Shrug

I am weird.

Nope, its not just you. I had this same thought. "Why the hell wasn't LOTR at least SIX movies, if the dang Hobbit is 3?"

SPOILER ALERT!

It ended after my second trip to piss. that's where it ended...right after I sat down for the third time! :) I was just glad it was in the theater right next to the john.

It may have dragged in a couple of spots where I didn't exactly feel it had to but overall I enjoyed it immensely. Look forward to more as always. Didn't spring for the 3d but only because of the timing.

SPOILER ALERT!

It ended after my second trip to piss. that's where it ended...right after I sat down for the third time! :) I was just glad it was in the theater right next to the john.

It may have dragged in a couple of spots where I didn't exactly feel it had to but overall I enjoyed it immensely. Look forward to more as always. Didn't spring for the 3d but only because of the timing.

Two pisses in one movie? Geez, grampa! ;)

Going to see it in a couple hours. Nerdboner!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Just got back. There were a couple spots that could have been pared down but overall I liked it a lot.

I loved it! I didn't think it was too long at all, in fact, I was surprised 3 hours had gone by when it ended!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Were the special effects as good as LOR? Wife loves the books and may take her tonight to see it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.