• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

the defence has potential to be something special

Rymanofthenorth

BGObsessed
Reaction score
I live in the warmest city in the coldest provinc
Alma Mater
UTEP
Payne and Allen inside, sweat and young off the edge, if we run a wide front or a double eagle type 4-3 this defence could be ridiculous. I would be spending big money on a defensive line coach and honestly making damn sure that we are running a scheme that takes advantage of the fact that we now have one of the most talented front 4's in the game. if they play to their ability anyway. Our Linebackers could use an upgrade but are solid at worst, and we have a decent secondary, at least good enough to backstop what could end up being a stellar front 4. I genuinely hope we spend some resources on Oline now, we have what could be a decent team, a decent young qb, a veteran RB who could still be great with some better blocking, a great young rec, so the offense could potentially be good enough to make games interesting if we play an attacking style defence to get them the ball back. im actually looking forward to this season but if we shit the bed again, im pretty much done

This is going to be contrarian day for me. I'm happy we drafted Chase - wanted this pick all along. I believe the rotation along the front four will be great. The difference maker, IMO, will be JDR. He's going to have to be very creative - good as it can be, it aint an 85 Bears defense. I still see the secondary as a liability and the LB core as exposed against teams with good play action offenses. Right now, I think it will be fun watching this defense. In the main, however, I think it will only buy the team two MAYBE three more victories over last season. I say this without knowing the rest of the draft, undrafted signings or downstream signings. So a lot can chage. The core problem remains the same: overall talent level, too many roster uncertainties/gaps and a bad offense.

The real drain on our defense, again looked at now and subject to change, is going to be the offense. If you look at the O, today, it's really pretty bad. O-line as consitututed , IMO, is more QB injuries waiting to happen. Too many gaps: no real TE threat, no speed threat on the outside (we'll see what happens draft day 2; maybe Sims develops, drops fewer passes and makes better decisions), a liability at RT, uncertainty for LG, an unfortunate twist of events that escalates the importance of retaining a disgruntled LT (that's if the team cares about opreserving its QBs so they can at least walk off the field after a game), an aging RB, a RG who has been injury prone, a first round QB who has potential but at this point can't seem to singularly focus on becomng the master of his craft vice a social media chatty cathy.

Many of the teams in the league are loading up on offense with speed as they mimic the Chiefs. This defense is going to be mainly predicated on producing a fierce pass rush and controlling the line. Behind stands some decent talent, but only one upper tier player (Collins). The forumla for beating the Skins next season is pretty obvious: severe pressure on Haskins/Allen, bottle the running game, score fast and early with a diversified, speedy passing attack. If your offense is, at best average, scoring 17-21 points a game isn't going to buy much improvemen; it will place huge pressure on the defense.

Not news, but the offense is a huge problem for this team. Throw in, IMO, an OC who is nothing special, and the formula for another high draft pick is in place for next year.

A key player in all of this? Kyle! Huge pressure on him to pull white rabbits out of the proverbial black hat in the third, fourth and fifth rounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see why people think Allen starts over Ioannidis. People just never seem to get past where someone is drafted. I think Ioan Man gets more snaps than Allen or Payne. I also think Kerrigan isn't a great fit for the 4-3. We all love the guy, but at this point in his career he falls behind Sweat and Young. Getting Young also proves the adage of drafting BPA over need. Had we picked Derwin James instead of Payne we'd have a better D now, and a lot more cap space we could have used on OL instead of overpaying Landon Collins.

I agree Al that we have more question marks on offense than answers. I think we still need to bolster linebacker and DB corps going forward, but the focus is going to shift to rebuilding the offense. We have spent draft capital on offense in recent years, but unfortunately it's mostly been at trying to draft 'steals' at RB by taking guys coming off major injury. That hasn't gone well with Guice an injury waiting to happen, and Bryce Love's recovery still a big question mark.

But I do think a couple things could make the short term outlook a little brighter.

First of all, it's quite possible we are underestimating Haskins and that with more competent coaching and support, we're going to see him look much, much better. There is no question he has significant physical talent, and his performance at OSU suggests he is coachable and capable of performing at a high level. Our WR corps may be better than we realize. McLaurin is a given. But Harmon and Sims could also take major leaps in year 2. We definitely need more help at WR, but we are not bereft of talent. TE is a huge question mark, as is RB (although if Guice can grow up and stay on the field, that could change, and we have to see what McKissic can do as well). Our kicking game is the best in the NFC East, so there's that.

Generally speaking, you're right. The team has not done enough to bolster the offense and give Haskins a chance to thrive. Yet.

Ryman, I like where you're going with this.

The last time I remember a Redskins defense having the ability to pressure the QB with just the front four, particularly late in games, was 1991. Petitbone used that to his advantage aggressively and worked all kind of mental jiu jitsu on opposing offenses with the back seven to create havoc. I've been pining for that ammunition again for almost thirty years.

On paper anyway, this group has the look of something special. More so than at any time since EMF was unbelievable.

I'm a bright side guy on the defensive outlook. Our coaching is a clear upgrade from last year (and many before that). The fact that the new staff looked at the roster and immediately switched to a 4-3, something most of us had been saying we needed to do for years now, is promising. The front four rotation look beastly and is the base for everything else, although I agree we may need an upgrade at MLB. Guess you can't have it all.

A dominant defense is something we haven't seen in these parts in quite a while. It has the potential to change everything for this team. Still....how many times have we heard this tune before? These guys need to prove it on the field before I get too excited. We heard the hype before last season and we finished what, 22nd overall? Let's talk again in December.

I don't see why people think Allen starts over Ioannidis. People just never seem to get past where someone is drafted. I think Ioan Man gets more snaps than Allen or Payne. I also think Kerrigan isn't a great fit for the 4-3. We all love the guy, but at this point in his career he falls behind Sweat and Young. Getting Young also proves the adage of drafting BPA over need. Had we picked Derwin James instead of Payne we'd have a better D now, and a lot more cap space we could have used on OL instead of overpaying Landon Collins.
Allen will line up at both end, and tackle, at times. So can big Matt. We should have a rotation that keeps every player fresh, all game long.
Insignificant who gets more "starts".

Kerrigan we don't really know about, at end. I think he'll be a better full time end, than part time LB. Time will tell.

And I'm sure, had we drafted James, and he'd gotten injured and missed the same time here, plenty would've been hollering how we passed up "whoever".

We have a DC now that has a clue. And, we've provided him a box of big toys up front. I'm excited to see what he can do.

Good points. JDR will have to figure out the rotation. As for Payne/James...that's a coulda/woulda/shoulda. Not arguing the point. It's Smoot at this point! errrr.... moot.

I'm on board with Riggotoni, Ionnides has proven he is as good as either of the other 2, but you guys are discounting the most consistent player we've had over the past 10 years, Ryan Kerrigan, and are automatically giving Sweat the start over him. I think Kerrigan is going to be the surprise of the year without having to battle double teams anymore.

Kerrigan hasn't been consistently double-teamed for a couple years now (at least, that's not what I've seen). I do think Kerrigan will see a resurgence, both because they'll play him at a spot more consistent with what he's adept at, because he'll be coming in to spell others and will be fresh, and for the most obvious reason of all - if someone is getting double-teamed, it certainly won't be Ryan Kerrigan.

Well, I think a dominant dline is only second in value to an elite QB, and the Redskins are going to have a dline that is not only dominant, but very deep. Young is going to be the X-factor that takes that line from very good to dominant.

I've been inches away from giving up completely on the Skins these past few years, but my optimism has been slowly building since Gruden was fired, and I'm really happy with the moves so far since Rivera was hired. I think Haskins has the tools to be very good with the right coaching, and he showed a lot of fight at the end of last season so I feel very good about him. I also think the Skins have a lot of nice, young talent to build around, and legit coaches on both sides of the ball to develop that talent and use it the right way. Yeah there are still plenty of holes to fill I agree, especially on the Oline, but it's hard to imagine the Skins not being better and more fun to watch than last year, and that's got me pretty excited. I'm just glad that things seem to be trending upwards. I haven't felt that way in years.

if Kerrigan stays healthy and they play him at DE he will probbaly have a career year because he will be fresh and I think he is better than sweat but he is also expensive af and aging. Ioannidis is solid but not as explosive as allen or payne and while versatile, is more of a run stopper than a pass rusher.what he does give us is a guy who can play outside on run downs and inside on passing downs but he will have to put on some weight to be more effective as a 1 tech. he is a great depth guy though and versatile.

Reactions: Ax
Bryce Hall would be one hell of a pick at the top of the 4th. Hall broke his ankle in December. He converted from WR to DB at UVa his 1st year and became an immediate starter. He started every game from that point on until late in his 4th year. He almost declared at the end of his 3rd year, having led the nation in pass breakups and being an almost certain 1st round selection. He has great football instincts and is one of the best tackling DBs in the draft. Smart, intuitive, and a helluva football player. He would be an absolute steal in the 4th round and immediately make our secondary better.

if Kerrigan stays healthy and they play him at DE he will probbaly have a career year because he will be fresh and I think he is better than sweat but he is also expensive af and aging. Ioannidis is solid but not as explosive as allen or payne and while versatile, is more of a run stopper than a pass rusher.what he does give us is a guy who can play outside on run downs and inside on passing downs but he will have to put on some weight to be more effective as a 1 tech. he is a great depth guy though and versatile.
Ryan, sometimes I gotta wonder about you...you do realize Ionnides had 8.5 sacks last year.? That is a pretty damn good rusher.

Ionnides sacks were almost all pursuit sacks, not quick sacks, he is a high motor player who never gives up and has solid strength but he doesnt usually beat his man off the snap.
I don't know what tape you're watching on him, your take is not what I saw from his tape from last season.

Reactions: Ax
Matt is definitely an effort, high-motor guy. To me his pass rush attributes are strength--strong bull-rush--and deceptive quickness. Not sure I can get to "pursuit sacks" by my definition of that term ... to me he's pretty much a Point A to Point B rusher ... but he does have just enough athletic ability to twist and lunge effectively at Point B to corral a QB not quick enough to see him coming and get away.

Survey says ...

pursuit sacks mean he is moving and chasing and not giving up on the play often getting sacks through effort and not giving up, thats what a pursuit sack is.

he rarely beats his man off the snap, he is not a one and done move guy like most of the great pass rush 3techs, he is more of a bull and rip and couter guy who pushes the pocket. he is solid and will be part oany rotation but I hope he bulks up a bit to play more at 1tech thats his best fit in a 4-3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.