• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Day After......Has The Shine Wore Off?

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
On the day after, has the reality sunken in yet? Don't get me wrong, I loved the game yesterday. I couldn't have been happier. It was so much fun to watch us so easily manhandle somebody for a change while never worrying about the outcome. Meriweather impressed the **** out of me, as did Griff and a few others. It was quite the sight to see.

But now that I've had almost 24 hours for it to sink in, reality is dawning on me. We beat the crap out of one of the worst teams in the league. A team that has completely fallen apart. A team in a downward spiral. A team that can't beat their meat, let alone a football team.

We didn't beat the Eagles in their true form, we beat a beaten team that has been defeated and given up. So while I loved every minute of it, and I'm not taking anything away from any of the players, it doesn't give me as much confidence as some people are displaying.

Beating this team the way we did doesn't mean we've turned it around. It doesn't mean Haslett gets it, because he still doesn't. The fact of the matter is, even though we beat the crap out of them, there was still plenty of room for work that still needs to be done. Shannahan still can't call plays. Poor play by the Eagles made Haslett look like a genius. DeAngelo Hall still sucks. I get that he got an interception, and I loved it, but he gave up multiple first downs on what should have been huge losses, because he insists on going for the strip (which he never gets, for those who haven't noticed) instead of making the easy tackle.

We are an average team that beat a horrible team that's completely imploded. So enjoy it, but don't get so carried away. Wait and see what we do from here before you declare us division winners or playoff contenders.

Now let's all enjoy this week when we get to watch our boys kick the **** out of Dallas for Thanksgiving :D

I will say - this is the type of team we are SUPPOSED to wax, so there's that.

Ex, I totally agree. We looked like an average team beating up on a terrible team.

Thing is, for the past five years, this late in the season, we still lose this game.

Because we've been a terrible team too.

If you need an example just look at two weeks ago. To be honest I was expecting more of the same yesterday. That we actually beat a team we we supposed to beat ... and convincingly no less, could be seen as a step forward. 'Average' is a step up for us.

Of course if Dallas crushes us next week, this week could also be seen as a freak win. But for now I'm gonna enjoy it.

**** no. i'm still happy.

look, we don't get these types of wins; or at least we haven't since 2008. to turn around in less than 24 hours and try to take it away, or discredit it, is not fair. enjoy this one while we have it. you'll have Friday to bitch and moan if we go lay an egg in Dallas.

I don't care who it came against, I'm enjoying this one for the next 3 days.

I'm enjoying this one for the next 3 days.
Oh I am too, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying that people are going nuts like this means we've made this huge turnaround. While I wish it was true, realistically it's probably not. If it were a good team, I'd think there might be something.

Playcalling was still very suspect at times, and there was at least one series where the O personnel looked like they had no idea what was going on.

Ex, this win by itself doesn't mean much. That is true.

However, a loss to the Eagles at home would have meant a lot more. And not in a good way. :)

Playcalling was still very suspect at times, and there was at least one series where the O personnel looked like they had no idea what was going on.

Yes, the illegal formation penalties because the receivers do not get set on the line of scrimmage aregetting ridiculous!

As for the thread...shut up Ex! :banhim:

I will say - this is the type of team we are SUPPOSED to wax, so there's that.
Correction, this team hasn't been good enough for the better part of a decade to have teams we're "supposed" to beat. If anything, we've been the team others are "supposed" to beat.

That said, we've made a living out of losing games like this for far too long so it's good to finally get a W for a change. Now if we can just stop stepping on our "Richards" in the short term and build a team around RGIII over the longer term we should be well on our way.

I don't think the shine has worn off, but know what you're trying to say. Your reaction is the result of recent Skins history. How many times have we made a step forward to take three back. Many are too afraid to get too excited. We're worried about getting our hearts broken again.

There is nothing I would rather see than see this team gel the 6 weeks. I'm not expecting a Divisional Title, but rather improvement and we're moving in right direction.
Not just being a mediocre team.

The thing that should stand out against the doubters, is that a couple weeks ago, after Shanahan's comments, everyone believed that Shanahan and the Skins were the ones packing it in, for the rest of the year. But it was Philly who had obviously given up on their season. And it was the Skins who seemed determined to still win as many as possible the rest of the year.
And let's not forget the Skins' penchant for losing to horrible teams. That spell was broken.

We lose that game under any coach of the past twenty with the possible eception of Gibbs II. So damn right I'm gonna enjoy it. Does it mean we are NFC East contenders? I dunno, and I don't care right now.

I effing HATE the Eagles. And we beat em. By a lot. In all phases of the game. Good for us.

if we dont come out and lay an egg against the cowpies, this might have been the game where RG3 asserted himself as the leader of this team. yeah we beat a struggling team but as neo and others have said, in the past we lose that game. im not gonna start chanting playoffs, in fact I think it was a one off, but im hoping we get it done against the cowpies too.

Oh, I almost forgot. Ex?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I know is we did something we haven't been able to do all year - we beat a team we were supposed to beat. Could that have caused us to turn a corner? I guess we'll find out on Thursday.

It sure would be nice to hear Chris Berman going "WOOP" a lot on the highlight reel as RG3 constantly eludes Puke defenders. :laugh:

the announcement of merriweather to IR made it wear off :(

it was the only ounce of hope I had left - maybe he could be impactful enough so the defense wasn't borderline worst in history.

*sigh*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.