• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Confessional

Well, Boone, in light of this thread, I bet you couldn't have ask for a worse result. The performance was competitive, and seemingly one replaceable kicker away from being good enough. Like you said in another thread, it's hard not to be proud of the guys after that game, hardly embarrassed at any rate.

It's alright, though. We got gobs of embarrassing potential left of the schedule!

Funny you said that - since really, I got just what I wanted. Enough competitiveness out of our guys not to feel totally depressed today, but another loss, clearly pointing to the failed approach of our ownership and front office. Not to mention, edging our way higher in the draft.

I am totally there B

I wanted that Dallas game very badly.

I know though that the only thing that will change this team is EPIC disaster

Funny you said that - since really, I got just what I wanted. Enough competitiveness out of our guys not to feel totally depressed today, but another loss, clearly pointing to the failed approach of our ownership and front office. Not to mention, edging our way higher in the draft.

I have a feeling they'll just blame the injury bug from here on out.

I dont think its wrong for them to put at least part of the blame to injury. starting tight end, 2 running backs, most of the offensive line and their backups and a partridge in a pear tree...

Three starting offensive linemen on the wrong side of thirty. Backups picked up off the street and thrown into the fire. A run-down RB backed up by an injury-prone RB ... It's nice to have depth at TE but I'd take a decent backup tackle instead. To an extent you make your own luck, and the Redskins didn't do anything to stack the deck in their favor at all.

But I'm sure Vinnie will get all kinds of credit for putting together a team that could suffer so many injuries yet only lose to Dallas by a point ...

Last edited:
I dont think its wrong for them to put at least part of the blame to injury. starting tight end, 2 running backs, most of the offensive line and their backups and a partridge in a pear tree...

Unfortunately, our problems started long before the injury bug hit

Again, our starting OL is old. Across the board. Four of our five OLmen are 29 or older. Behind them we have no quality. You want me to tell you what our front office was thinking? I have no freaking idea what they were thinking.

Portis is fifth among active RBs in career carries. The guys ahead of him on the list, Ed James, LT, Jamal Lewis and Fred Taylor are all shells of their former selves. James and Taylor are both part time players and LT and Lewis have missed several games and currently average 3.5 and 3.4 yards a carry, respectively. RBs, even the best of them, can only do so much. He's been a great player for us, but expecting Portis to be able to play the entire season at a high level at this point in his career is not realistic.

Betts is a backup for a reason. He gets hurt a lot.

Was some of our injury-situation bad luck? Sure. But not all of it. We could have mitigated things a LOT better.

No Mike, there isn't. This is a problem with failing to plan. The coaches determined following last season that our OL was the biggest problem in the collapse at the end of last year. To address that, the FO let go our most consistent lineman from last year (Kendall), brought back a guy the Bills released outright to fill that hole (Dockery), released Jansen to clear the way for Heyer and brought in a guy who had not played a down of football in several years. Then they sat back and said that as long as there were no injuries among the starters we were fine.

No lineman in the draft what so ever and a starting lineup that averaged nearly 31 years of age on opening day. Add to that the fact that the best two guys in that starting lineup had missed major time due to injuries just last year and the team did nothing to bring in competent backups for either of them and you have a serious issue.

I didn't know any serious fans before the season started who thought we would get 16 games out of either Samuels or Thomas, let alone both of them. And yet neither guy had an experienced backup behind them on the depth chart.

If that isn't a complete failure at the FO level I don't know what is.

Sure you can blame injury..........now.

But going into the season we knew Samuals had a neck condition, that Thomas just came back from surgury last year and that both were over 30. WE KNEW THAT GOING IN. What dip dunk doesn't think that we need some quality backup there, that our over 30 starters might not make the whole season? Vinny gets paid a ka billion dollars a year to think of stuff like this. Hell, I've been screaming about the line on the other site for at least 5-6 years. Why is it that I and half of Redskins Nation can think of stuff like that but danny/vinny can't?

Rhinehart's injury was just the grind of the season, same as Cooley. But what if Campbell and then Collins go down like Rothlisburger and Batch in Pittsburgh? We don't even have a third QB availible.

No, this is on the front office, or as I'm starting to call them, "The Dumbasses in Charge"

dont buy it when it comes to RBs.

I can buy it with the OL for sure. But not with the RBs.

Nobody saw Portis getting injured and going downhill this fast and then getting his head slammed like that and unless your name is Nostradamus nobody saw Betts getting rolled up on. Especially after the game he had the week before.

Cooley planting his foot and getting hurt was not because of the FO either. Neither was Haynesworth's ankle.

but the OL I will concede to. Not them getting hurt but the lack of having better depth or planning for the worst.

Mike, you had a shaky argument with the RB situation but I may have bought it and the Cooley injury was probably a silver lining issue since distribution of the football has increased dramatically since his injury.

But you lost me when you suggested there was no expectation of Haynesworth being injured! He has had a career filled with injury and we knew that when we signed him. Now I still like that we signed Big Al, but his poor conditioning has lent itself to increased injury. I think we all expected Big AL to miss between 2 and 4 games this season.

dont buy it when it comes to RBs.

I can buy it with the OL for sure. But not with the RBs.

Nobody saw Portis getting injured and going downhill this fast and then getting his head slammed like that and unless your name is Nostradamus nobody saw Betts getting rolled up on. Especially after the game he had the week before.

Come on Mike, are we watching the same games?

Portis played a full season last year but he wasn't healthy. He played hurt the last 8 games of the season and it showed. He didn't get any younger in the off season and he didn't work out like last year either.

Betts has been with the Skins 8 seasons and been available for a full 16 games only 3 of them. Anyone with any football sense realizes that when a guy is missing games in better than 50% of his seasons it isn't a fluke, he is brittle. Not saying we should not have kept him around but the guy has been hurt a number of years when he wasn't the starter. Just something that should have been considered.

Mike, really?

The vast majority of fans have noticed Portis losing a step. There is plenty of evidence available that shows a RB only has a certain amount of carries in them until they start to break down. These are indisputable facts. And while you can't really predict someone like Betts getting injured, he has a history of freak injuries, meaning you can't exactly count on him to stay healthy. I'm really not sure how you can argue this was unforeseeable.

I'm with Elephant - the only injury that was really blind-siding was Cooley's. Yeah, he's been injured before, but always toughed it out, and never even missed practice until last year I think. To see him go down without even getting touched was certainly surprising.

...you say we should have expected haynesworth to be injured? But if his conditioning is poor and you say you know it then why isnt the blame on him?

He is partly to blame for that, but the coaches should have been tougher in the off-season with a bunch of the veterans as far as their conditioning.

Mike, you're right Injuries happen and most cannot be foreseen. But you have not even looked at what the other guys have pointed out as far as the responsibility the FO had. Look at Neo's point.

you say we should have expected haynesworth to be injured? But if his conditioning is poor and you say you know it then why isnt the blame on him?

Haynesworth has started and played in all 16 games exactly....wait for it....0 times since his rookie season. Nobody should be surprised he missed a game.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results. :)

I want the kind of epic failure that will leave them no choice but to clean house, reverse course, do 'the exact opposite' if you will.

I want to hear him say it.

'Hello. I'm Dan Snyder. I've driven a historic NFL franchise into the ground. I'm now prepared to do whatever it takes to fix it.'

I was with you until I read this:

We bring this debate up because we also learned some interesting news this past weekend. It seems owner Daniel Snyder has been a busy man these days. Two weeks ago, he was apparently on the sidelines of a Notre Dame practice, watching Fighting Irish quarterback Jimmy Clausen in action. This past weekend, while in Texas for the Cowboys game, Snyder attended the University of Texas’ thrashing of Kansas 51-20. Word is he was there to evaluate Heisman hopeful Colt McCoy.

Link

Ugh. Snyder is fancying himself a scout now. This makes me think that even if the Redskins lose the rest of their games, and Snyder fires Vinny, he still won't realize that he is part of the problem and step back and let someone else handle the football side of things. He will still be meddling. As long as he does the Redskins are doomed to mediocrity at best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.