• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Butler Needs to Get Paid

Did you all know that Alfred got a $211,000 performance bonus from the NFL during this offseason? I have a feeling that it will be even better next year.

Last edited:
Let me know when engineers are getting 40 million dollar signing bonuses then not showing up to work and the employer has no repercussions.

Yes, I know that was an extreme case, but I don't know how else to explain it at this point. Even your corner case that favors your side of the argument pales in comparison to the average case in the NFL. :)

LOL. Well, I don't have 100,000 people watching me work every day or buying thousands of the Brooks Brothers polos I wear to "rep" my name either, so there's that. :)

I hear what you're saying and in reality, $2.2M (plus whatever performance bonuses he gets RE: what BB was saying) is plenty of money for anyone to live on for the rest of their lives, if they are smart about it. However when you have guys that Morris outperformed making 10-20x his salary, there is a problem.

Maybe a pay-for-performance system isn't that bad? Get rid of the cap altogether, pay every player a base salary of $200K or something, and literally pay players for their additional stats? You'd have to have some sort of guaranteed injury insurance; a player gets injured, they get the average of their position for the year or something, but it could work. A guy like Tom Brady throws 50TDs and would clean up.

Did you all know that Alfred got a $211,000 performance bonus from the NFL during this offseason? I have a feeling that it will be even better next year.

Well he earned one, he won't actually be paid the bonus until March 2016.

Maybe a pay-for-performance system isn't that bad? Get rid of the cap altogether, pay every player a base salary of $200K or something, and literally pay players for their additional stats?
I'm sure it would have its own unintended consequences. Players would be playing for stats, not for winning the game.

If I reach for this touchdown I get an extra 5k, if I go down here and the backup gets it then he gets the extra 5k.
*fumble*
!@#$@#$@#

;)

I do agree Morris deserves more money. It's just not as simple as letting a guy restructure for more money when he plays well one year. Not to mention we just don't have the cap space.

Wouldn't it be a cool salary structure if the cap was divided among the teams by order of finish?? Then that would be divided by whatever criteria, but the winningest teams would take the most dough. lol

Although I'm sure this would have tons of unintended consequences.

Then they could adjust our seat prices based on performance.

4-12 under jim Zorn - skins pay you 50$ a game to attend ;)

It's too bad they don't have a system that lets the team give bonuses to a player like Alfred. It could be corrupted too easily to get around the salary cap though. He does deserve more money.

Just an observation...

The thing I find interesting about all this back and forth is that the one person I see most likely to complain the least will be AlMo himself. He just has a character and personality, in my opinion, that is so far outside the mainstream of top-performing NFL players-and that is a compliment-that he won't complain about how much he's being paid. One of the things I most admire about the guy is his attitude.

If his performance continues to be among the best RBs in the league, the Redskins FO better be ready to cough up some serious dough when his rook contract is over. I think there are a bunch of teams in the league who would love to have somebody like him-and the offers could be sizable.

It's too early.
For all we know he could be another Reggie Brooks, a one-year wonder.
He got paid according to his draft status, and after just one year, that's what is fair.

If we're going to start adjusting salaries, for players after just one year, then by that logic, we should start cutting pay for players who were huge disappointments after one rookie season. Can't have it both ways. If you agree and sign your name to a contract, then honor it, for more than just one year.

Last edited:
It's too early.
For all we know he could be another Reggie Brooks, a one-year wonder.
He got paid according to his draft status, and after just one year, that's what is fair.

If we're going to start adjusting salaries, for players after just one year, then by that logic, we should start cutting pay for players who were huge disappointments after one rookie season. Can't have it both ways. If you agree and sign your name to a contract, then honor it, for more than just one year.

...he broke records....broke more tackles than any other back....was third in yards after initial contact...that's not some fluke. He's elite. He's being penalized because he went to Florida Atlantic. He doesn't have elite speed...in underwear. He's plenty fast in pads...

Yeah he signed a contract...but it was an all or nothing proposition for him.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y03-lYvJjE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X5tVHRonKM

The Butler is one of my favorite Redskins. Dude carried us into the playoffs after Ngata went after RG3's knee successfully. Hell, after he singlehandedly won us the division against Dallas game 17, he's cemented himself in my mind as an all-time Skins' favorite.

Last edited:
I figure if Alfred has a similar year he'll get his...and rightfully so.

One area I never paid attention to due to watching him run crazy is his blocking. How good was AM in pass blocking?

The Butler is one of my favorite Redskins.

This is the problem ; Interfering sentimental issues with a business decision. Which isn't prudent.

As for the statistical side that you bring up - once again, I give you Reggie Brooks, who had an extremely similar rookie season to Morris, and actually many ways identical, but who disintegrated immediately after his rookie season.

Their rookie stats, for comparison :

Morris
Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
335 1,613 4.8 39T 13 11 77 7.0 20 0 4 3

Brooks
223 1,063 4.8 85T 3 21 186 8.9 43 0 4 2

Last edited:
This is the problem ; Interfering sentimental issues with a business decision. Which isn't prudent.

As for the statistical side that you bring up - once again, I give you Reggie Brooks, who had an extremely similar rookie season to Morris, and actually many ways identical, but who disintegrated immediately after his rookie season.

Their rookie stats, for comparison :

Morris
Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
335 1,613 4.8 39T 13 11 77 7.0 20 0 4 3

Brooks
223 1,063 4.8 85T 3 21 186 8.9 43 0 4 2

I'm not seeing at all how these two rookies seasons are similar at all. Over 100 more carries. 10 more TDs. Roughly 600 more yards. All for The Butler. The only thing similar is YPC. Which, if he had the same amount of carries as AMtrak I doubt it's that high...

I'm not seeing at all how these two rookies seasons are similar at all. Over 100 more carries. 10 more TDs. Roughly 600 more yards. The only thing similar is YPC.

Of course, Morris is expected to have more yards and TD's with more carries.
The fact that the 2 backs have identical YPC on such large carry loads, makes the "600 more yards" and some of the additional TD's, an entirely moot point.

The only thing similar is YPC. Which, if he had the same amount of carries as AMtrak I doubt it's that high...

Doubt ? Based on what ?
The fact that Brooks had 223 carries, proved that his YPC was no fluke. If he only carried part-time, like for 30 carries all year, you might have a point. But that's not the case. Carrying 223 times in a season, totally legitimizes a player's YPC, so it's is far cry from being a a slouch, or a fluke who produces a mis-leading YPC.

You only mentioned the stats which make Morris appear better, and even those stats are largely irrelevant, as I noted. And you also discounted where they were similar in stats, without any reasonable basis for discounting it. Also, you made no mention of how Brooks had a far better Long Run, and in addition, was a better receiver in single every receiving stat. Those facts, combined with your continual reference to him as "The Butler" causes me to believe that fandom love is over-riding logic in your argument.

Last edited:
Of course, Morris is expected to have more yards and TD's with more carries.
The fact that the 2 backs have identical YPC on such large carry loads, makes the "600 more yards" and some of the additional TD's, an entirely moot point.

Doubt ? Based on what ?
The fact that Brooks had 223 carries, proved that his YPC was no fluke. If he only carried part-time, like for 30 carries all year, you might have a point. But that's not the case. Carrying 223 times in a season, totally legitimizes a player's YPC, so it's is far cry from being a a slouch, or a fluke who produces a mis-leading YPC.

You only mentioned the stats which make Morris appear better, and even those stats are largely irrelevant, as I noted. And you also discounted where they were similar in stats, without any reasonable basis for discounting it. Also, you made no mention of how Brooks had a far better Long Run, and in addition, was a better receiver in single every receiving stat. Those facts, combined with your continual reference to him as "The Butler" causes me to believe that fandom love is over-riding logic in your argument.

So 600 yards, 10 more TDs, and 50% more carries is irrelevant or trivial, yet you want to bring up a long run and his 186 recieving yards to The Butler's 77?

BTW, I call him The Butler because he serves' em up. But you can call him "Mr."

First off, we all love Alfred.

Second, he is not the Redskins all time leading rusher, as has been stated and repeated in this thread. He's the Redskins all time Single Season rushing leader

Another thing. The rare rookie who outperforms his rookie contract, to the extent that Alfred did, is too rare to warrant any change to the new rookie contract agreements.

Until such time when Alfred can negotiate another deal, he can increase his income, off the field, with a continued strong performance. Expect to see him in local commercials this coming season. For a pretty penny or two. If he repeats last years performance, he'll get some regional, and national attention as well.

Don't cry for Alfred.

We finally draft a gem and get a great amount of production for very little money and you cant wait to pay him more???... haha

Chances are Shanny eventually finds another back and we never pay him greatly. Maybe we can trade him next year for a shutdown corner?

Chances are Shanny eventually finds another back and we never pay him greatly. Maybe we can trade him next year for a shutdown corner?

Gotta agree here...I doubt he sees the big contract many believe he will. Where in Shanahan's history have you seen anything that would suggest he would pay an RB big money?

I like Alfred as much as everyone, i just can't see him "cashing" in here except in the scenario that Ax suggested...ads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.