• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Bon Voyage Thread

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
It can never be a 'goodbye' thread - because for the folks who have called this place their Redskins-loving-and-hating interwebz stop for more than 11 years, friendships and relationships will continue on well past the lifetime of a little website.

We gave it a good try... opened up some shiny new digs last year in the hope that it would spark, along with new team leadership, a resurgence in activity and membership. For those of you who continue to check in daily, and especially those of you who have continued to post - thank you! If there were a hundred or two more of you, we'd find a way to continue to chug along. Unfortunately, this fanbase seems to be dying a slow death, and those fans and members who are still faithfully following seem to favor Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram in increasing numbers these days. COVID-19, open political warfare, and the name change and sexual harassment scandals obviously haven't helped either.

The reality is, it's just no longer worth the time, energy, and money to keep it up - not ours OR yours - in the name of a handful of die-hards who actually still participate. And it's not worth the frustration I've felt watching the membership dwindle and stagnate no matter how much energy and money we poured into the effort.

We'll keep the lights on until after the last Regular season game, so we can announce the winners of our final BGO Pickem and Fantasy contests.

There may be a few of you who want to share a funny story or fond memory of the place before it is no more... I don't know. But 11 years deserves more than a stickied announcement.

We will always have nothing but love and gratitude that we were able to share some amazing times with each of you. You guys and gals are the best. <3

I remember a year or two after leaving 'that other site', Mark Steven and I began an experiment by starting a vBulletin site called 'The Noosphere'. It was a beautiful little site, with one of the coolest logos ever. We invited our dearest friends to join us, Pete, Henry, Sol, and some other great folks joined in. It was supposed to be a place where real, intelligent discourse about science, philosophy, music, religion, and culture could take place. It never really gained any traction, but it served one purpose beyond it's intended one, we learned how to run a website and server.

It wasn't long before we started talking about creating the Redskins fan site we'd always wanted. To be honest, at that point, we barely knew what we were doing. But we somehow stumbled and bumbled our way to getting a site up and running. The process of finalizing our beautiful logo alone was excruciatingly painstaking. But with a lot of help from our graphic genius Miles Monroe, we finally settled on one.

Other than my wedding, the deaths of my parents, and the birth of my children, there probably weren't many days as personally impactful to me as the day we opened up BGO. Those first years we had a huge influx of new members and activity. Forums were the latest, coolest thing. There were no social media mega-sites to compete with. And we took pride that we didn't lord over and cite rules violations to our membership, but rather counted on their good common sense, friendliness, and sense of civility to keep the peace even in the worst of times. It mostly worked and continues to work to this day.

We tried every possible approach when it came to political, religious, and controversial topics, from the Wild West where all conversation was tolerated, to an 'Enter at your own risk' forum, to finally giving up and eliminating discussion of those topics. To this day, I don't know what the right answer there was or is. We had trouble even in the early days with conversations and emotions getting out of hand and spilling into other forums. I can only imagine what it might have been like had we allowed those discussions here over the past 4 years. Maybe we should have? Or maybe in the end, we did everyone a favor? I just don't know.

We've seen folks come and we've seen them go over the past 11 years. Some members morphed from one username to another to another. A few, a very few, showed they couldn't share the same sandbox with those with a different viewpoint and we said goodbye to them. And a few, we lost forever for reasons or due to causes we will probably never know (wherever you are Fear The Spear - here's to you!). Some members decided Redskins fandom was a burden they no longer wanted to carry and simply stopped showing up here. And for some, the name change and recent scandals were the final straw in their diminishing fandom. But a handful of you, no matter the pain of being a fan of this team, kept coming back, kept sharing your thoughts, and to this day are the life blood of the place.

Me? I have always been the engine that kept the site moving, updated, rejuvenated with features and options. I say that with no arrogance or to take any credit. I fell in love with the technical aspects of running a site early on, and I'm still in love with it. Building a new site a year ago was probably one last selfish indulgence on my part. I wasn't ready to shut it down and revamping the site was a good excuse not to. I loved every minute of trying to make the latest rendition of BGO cooler and sleeker than the last. I think we accomplished that.

While I would love to take sole credit for BGO's mostly successful 10+ year reign, it would never have happened, nor been half as much fun as it has been without the inspiration, guidance, and help from Mark Steven who I am grateful to call my dearest friend. Likewise, many thanks to Bob Floyd, Henry Suchman, and Pete Felice who joined staff early on and stuck with us - you guys have been great and I am thankful we got to know each other through BGO.

I would also be remiss if I did not give major props to guys like servumtuum, Burgundy Burner, SilentThreat and numerous others who have been content workhorses over the years. We had tons of bloggers early on, including some great staff blogs, but in particular Burgundy Burner has carried a lot of that workload over the past few years. Thanks so much guys! We never paid you guys a cent, although I certainly wished we could have, but you did the work producing great content anyway - out of the goodness of your heart and because you cared about the site. Thank you.

I do want to publicly admit something I need to - I'm probably also responsible, at least in part, for the site's decline. Over the years, I've become less patient, less civil, less tolerant, and more reactive than when I started out. Very seldom has anyone called me out on those things - because you all are kind, generous people. And I've probably driven my fellow staff crazy over the years (they won't admit it, but I know it's true) with countless emails, ideas, suggestions, and nagging requests - while ultimately doing whatever the hell I personally felt was best for the site. I've always struggled with group dynamics - in every aspect of my life - and BGO has been no exception. In the end, I did the best I could but I'm man enough to admit, sometimes it wasn't good enough. I appreciate all of the past and current staff and owners putting up with me all these years.

In the end, I will leave BGO behind in 2021 with nothing but great memories, appreciation, and fondness for every single one of you who has enriched my life for more than a decade. You have been a huge part of my life and I am forever grateful :cheers:

You are all - bonafide.

Last edited:
I will probably never fathom the amount of work and resources that went into getting BGO up and running or what it took to maintain the best Redskins forum on the net. I just want you and your staff to know that I appreciated all of your efforts!
If the team was as dedicated as you and your staff are,we'd be seeing success like days of old!

I've always wondered what this place would be like whenever the Redskins became relevant again and that never happened.We got brief glimpses in 2005 and 2012 but nothing really sustained...and that is a shame. As you have often said, the fans deserve better.

Even though I've been mostly sour when discussing the team the last couple of years(alot of us have been), I have enjoyed talking Redskins football with everyone here and I'll forever believe that the Gameday Chat room here was the best place to be on Sunday's that the Redskins decided to give a damn.

I will miss this place and the folks here. I have enjoyed the banter and some of the witty snark the team has produced here. Though the team has pushed me further and further away, I'll always remember the guys and gals here fondly and for that, I'm thankful.

John,Mark and the staff, I wish you success in whatever you guys do in the future , you're fine folks and if I ever run into you guys ,well the first round of beers is on me....

Dieselpwr44- Bob Sheets

Thank you Bob! That means so much. We should figure out a way to meet up for game chats in the future as that has clearly been one of our most favorite offerings. Thanks again for the great sentiments, you’ve always been one of our best.

LOL 'The Noosphere' Haven't thought about that place in forever. A shame it really didn't catch on, the concept was solid. And yes, it did have the coolest logo.

TN graphic.jpg

Attachments

• noosphere.PNG
    noosphere.PNG
    29.4 KB · Views: 175
I enjoyed the Noosphere and was disappointed it didn't take off. Similarly I am disappointed this is going away. But I understand. It is slowly withering, mirroring the team. I know I haven't always been Mr. Positive, but I've always appreciated the time and effort you and everybody else who has maintained and run this site have put in. You have always gone above and beyond in your giving for this endeavor, and I can see that reflects how you are in real life, a good, hard working, giving person. Cheers and thanks for everything.

Thanks for those kind words, we’ve always enjoyed you being a part of us here China. Positivity is hard to muster and we’ve never faulted anyone for that.

What's up guys? I am bummed to hear this but I totally understand why. I got my web design and graphic design degree back in 2007. Then website building sites started popping up so the graphic art design degree paid off some.

The 'other site' didn't like Posse Lover because I was too outspoken. Thanks Boone for the invite and help with picks over the years. Fist bump!

You've been a great member Posse. Thanks for that :cheers:

I will always be eternally grateful for the work that the leaders at BGO have put into the site. It gave a Canadian guy the opportunity to share a passion with others that otherwise would never have been possible. Whether in the chatroom on game day or on the message board, there was always someone there who either felt your pain or was ready to give you a high five. There are great people here and I will miss the camaraderie, intellect, and level of passion for the team. Thank you for making cheering on this sad franchise bearable over the years.

-CH

Thanks to you CH - another guy who’s been a huge part of this place. Appreciate you brother :cheers:

Said to see this, but totally understand. While I'm not a voracious poster, I was so glad to find this place years ago and just take in all the good, thoughtful commentary by everyone.

My schedule has been really crazy this Fall and I've only been able to watch one game Live, but hope that changes and get to chat with more of you during the games the rest of the season.

Looking over my small history, it seems like it was 7 years before I started posting against this season. Glad I felt like coming back to see it before the plug gets pulled. This wouldn't be the first forum death I witnessed. A Fire Emblem forum died too way back. Time does fly. I was talking about RGIII back then and was just learn some details about computer tech.

Said to see this, but totally understand. While I'm not a voracious poster, I was so glad to find this place years ago and just take in all the good, thoughtful commentary by everyone.

My schedule has been really crazy this Fall and I've only been able to watch one game Live, but hope that changes and get to chat with more of you during the games the rest of the season.
Thanks for being a great member Dixie :cheers:

It can never be a 'goodbye' thread - because for the folks who have called this place their Redskins-loving-and-hating interwebz stop for more than 11 years, friendships and relationships will continue on well past the lifetime of a little website.

We gave it a good try... opened up some shiny new digs last year in the hope that it would spark, along with new team leadership, a resurgence in activity and membership. For those of you who continue to check in daily, and especially those of you who have continued to post - thank you! If there were a hundred or two more of you, we'd find a way to continue to chug along. Unfortunately, this fanbase seems to be dying a slow death, and those fans and members who are still faithfully following seem to favor Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram in increasing numbers these days. COVID-19, open political warfare, and the name change and sexual harassment scandals obviously haven't helped either.

The reality is, it's just no longer worth the time, energy, and money to keep it up - not ours OR yours - in the name of a handful of die-hards who actually still participate. And it's not worth the frustration I've felt watching the membership dwindle and stagnate no matter how much energy and money we poured into the effort.

We'll keep the lights on until after the last Regular season game, so we can announce the winners of our final BGO Pickem and Fantasy contests.

There may be a few of you who want to share a funny story or fond memory of the place before it is no more... I don't know. But 11 years deserves more than a stickied announcement.

We will always have nothing but love and gratitude that we were able to share some amazing times with each of you. You guys and gals are the best. <3
I will surely miss BGO. Since my health obstacles, my primary participation has been GameDay chats, which keep me sane in this roller coaster of a year... to all of you, I consider you my extended family... and I will sorely miss that aspect. You've helped me in ways more than you could possibly know... and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for that. Thank you for all the work, and patience You've shown this fan. Because of my typing inability... GameDay chats have been the extent of my participation...and i do apologize for that.. this team will always be the Washington Redskins in my heart..

HTTR all and HUGS!!!

Being an American Football fan in the UK can be a pretty solitary experience. Though there are a lot of UK based fans, they tend to be spread around all kinds of teams. Two of my closest friends for instance are a Colts fan and a Lions fan. So though I can talk football, I can't talk WASHINGTON football. So I used to sit and watch the games on my own and then either celebrate, or (more often) commiserate alone.
Finding BGO gave me a place to come to and talk and listen to other Skins fans who were way more knowledgeable than me, and more than that a kind of psuedo-family. I've thoroughly enjoyed being a little part of this community. Especially this year when times have been tough both mentally and financially. I couldn't WAIT for the football season to start, I love my game chats.

I'll miss BGO very much, but hope there's a way we can all keep in touch for the games moving forwards.

Always HTTR!

I've found myself actively avoiding this thread. Regardless how many times I tell myself that the reason I don't post any more is that I don't care about the site or team, well, that's just wrong. I still do. And it's still kinda visceral. So the thread makes me sad and a little anxious.

After 50 years of Redskins fandom--the last 20 deeply involved with building/running Redskins fan sites--it's just ... over? I'm losing the daily comfort of touching virtual elbows with people who share my passion and have become part of my life? You all know John and I have become brothers over the last 20 years. Turning off the lights at BGO won't end that of course, but it will change it. That makes me sad.

Bob (Neophyte), Henry (Henry), Pete (Miles Monroe) ... these guys have been, and ARE, friends in the very realest sense of the word. I'm not going to try name all of you with whom I've had what, to me anyway, are real friendships over the years--I'd surely forget to mention somebody because I'm, you know, SIXTY. But you and I know who you are.

The idea of simply ... stopping ... of not having that Favorites Bar link I can just one-click and submerge into my life-long obsession ... erg. Turns out even at 60, an active and insistent part of 10- and even 50-year-old me can't quite seem to let go.

No, I'm not going to double-down and commit to keeping BGO running. It's a big, expensive, sometimes exhausting labor of love, and my life these days simply can't support it.

Side note: what's ironic, and a little frustrating, is that after 20 years we have actually "figured out" how to operate a site like this--the maintenance, the security, the functionality, etc. The learning curve was MASSIVE, and the journey not always pretty. Getting that automated email that the site is down--while you're and work, and your partner is at work--then spending many hours trying to sort it out over texts, phone calls, "Support Tickets" with tech types who don't always seem all that interested in or capable of explaining a) what the problem is, and b) what to do about it ... hey, good times. But over time (and over the past couple years because John has carried the water for all of us) we figured out how to make this thing work. So there's that.

Plus, it's true fan message boards are on the downhill side of their web trajectory. Huge sites like ES and others out there for other teams will abide for a while, yeah, but they aren't going to get any better. They're ultimately going to go the way of the dinosaurs, only slowly and quietly, without the spectacular Chicxulub exclamation point. The level of discourse is deteriorating, and to me looks every day more like the comments section on FB and politically-oriented sites, and worse, like Twitter. I find that level of "discourse" depressing and counter-productive. I can feel brain cells dying every time I "go there." So in my head, at least, I know that letting go of BGO makes sense--it's time.

Gonna endeavor to be around BGO down the stretch more than I have been. I want to savor it. It's true that you don't always know what you got til it's gone. And I do still find myself following the WFT on Sundays, even if watching them live continues to be an exercise in frustration more often that not. Even when I'm out and about on Sundays, though, doing Other Stuff, I'm never more than a few minutes between check-ins on ESPN Gamecast. And NFL Gamepass rocks--I don't miss any Washington or other NFL action that I don't want to. I just get them later, in packaged-up bundles, without all the stomach-churning.

So ... ramble over, at least for now.

But goddammit--Ima still need that Favorites Bar link.

Hail, and ramble on.

Last edited:
While it is a bummer - I do totally understand. It was a good run and at it's best - a great alternative to the "other" forum. I do appreciate all of the hard work and efforts that went into building and maintaining this place!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.