• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Bombshell

Clean house.
Fire them all.
Sanitize the walls and floors.
Start over.

Helluva start though.

What the organization really needs is a exorcism.

42640B11-053F-421F-842A-6BDD47F5E389.jpeg

The DC US Attorney's statement yesterday on civil suit for violation of consumer rights/protections of DC residents is a bit weak and not likely to move the needle for the NFL or Snyder.

Ultimately, this is cash in an account used to pay a fine. The NFL prints money.

What is more important to watch is the US Attorney for Southern Virginia investigation into potential financial improprieties and misreporting of stadium revenue, refunds to season ticket holders, etc.

THAT is a criminal investigation and augurs potential prison time in addition to a fine and/or sanction of the business.

I think you guys are right that in terms of a 'legal' case, this seemed pretty shaky and weak. It likely does feel like some form of vindication for the people who suffered due to Snyder’s culture and on those ground alone is probably worth the effort even if it goes nowhere.

I actually fear this slows the process of the sale down... I might be wrong, but i do wonder.

Now that there's an open Civil Suit against the TEAM itself, any potential owner is going to want / need to have an accurate forecast of what that's going to end up costing.... and if you listen to the AG yesterday, he made it seem like it's going to be a really deep dive into what actually happened in the building... I worry this isn't going to be a few months of investigating...

To that point, he said there would be testimony and depositions, and that information would be public... so maybe MORE comes out against Dan Snyder and he still ultimately sells, but he's against the ropes NOW and I worry that this suit just slows things down.

DC's including the NFL and Goodell in the suit is meant to pressure the release of the Wilkinson report.

My own thoughts are I think we have already shown what a louse and liar Snyder is and we need to move on - from a social, political perspective. The best outcome for everyone including the victims of him and his cronies is watching him sell the team and disappear from the scene in DC.

In terms of the criminal investigation - that touches on bookkeeping and representations of monies to the State and Federal Government and will proceed at their own pace.

Any potential fine for the civil suit is likely to be LESS than the $10M the league already fined Snyder this past year.

I don’t think it has much impact. I think there’s a decent chance this gets thrown out because it is sort of a mess legally speaking and at least from what I heard there is not much of a clear basis on which to base a civil suit.

I think Snyder will either earmark/set aside legal contingency fees or that could be baked into the price he demands in a sale.

I do think including the NFL and Goodell in the suit when they have finally begun to distance themselves from him is probably a tactical mistake. But I doubt being codefendants in a civil suit, even if it does go forward, changes their desire to get Snyder out asap.

Racine said yesterday that there would be more next week on the alleged financial improprieties. He’s not done.

Criminal fraud charges are the only thing that is going to scare Snyder.

Again, the civil charges are not going to result in a $250M settlement the way some radio personalities have made it appear.

And when analysts are estimating a sale between $6-7B for the franchise a civil settlement with DC assuming it comes to that is HALF pennies on the dollar.

I think if Snyder is somehow legally compelled to release the Wilkinson report, that might scare Snyder. Snyder and the NFL have been sitting on that for a reason.

As Ray Rice proved, the NFL cares about the difference between something being implied and having all the details released for all to see.

Is there a written Wilkinson report though? Maybe it can be found with Jimmy Hoffa’s body.

And there is no way to compel her to release it either.

She is a lawyer. She has written notes, at the very least.

However, I would be surprised if there isn't also a written report within her firm that just didn't get handed to Goodell so he could claim all he got was an oral summary.

She is a lawyer. She has written notes, at the very least.

However, I would be surprised if there isn't also a written report within her firm that just didn't get handed to Goodell so he could claim all he got was an oral summary.

My point was that I don’t believe that Beth Wilkinson can be legally compelled to provide privileged work product.

Here Snyder has been causing chaos and mischief for 20 plus years and now that he has retained BOA to handle a potential sale there is a concerted effort to hold him to account - however so far it is from DC on behalf of DC resident 'consumers' for a team that is headquartered in Virginia and plays its games in Maryland.

I am not sure the legal nexus is sufficient to allow DC to recover much from Snyder in terms of potential damages, fines, etc.

Personally, I just want to see him gone. Unfortunately, most of the assaults happened more than 5 years ago and the most egregious cases are beyond the statute of limitations. Any civil suit based on 'consumer protection' would not be at all satisfying to me if I were a victim of Snyder or the organization.

It is akin to slapping the wrist of a guy that steals $2B from pension funds in a Ponzi type scheme and then fining him $100M. It's just not that meaningful.

If on the other hand he has violated any state or federal laws in regards to taxation and corporate reporting then that is another story and the US attorney's office should be concentrating on those charges given they are felonies and potentially come with jail time.

My point was that I don’t believe that Beth Wilkinson can be legally compelled to provide privileged work product.
I get it.

I have questions about how much privilege applies here. She wasn't retained as legal representation or counsel. She was retained to perform an investigation.

Honestly, I don't know enough about it. Just things that wonder through my head.

I get it.

I have questions about how much privilege applies here. She wasn't retained as legal representation or counsel. She was retained to perform an investigation.

Honestly, I don't know enough about it. Just things that wonder through my head.

That is an interesting point.

Agreed, Snyder has been causing harm for a number of years to employees, fans, partners and vendors.

But it seems strange that just as soon as Snyder retains BOA for a potential sale now we see politicians come out of the woodwork to talk about broad and sweeping charges that seem an overreach in terms of obtaining any real censure of Snyder but play well in case the prosecutor is seeking a City Council seat or other office in the near future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.