• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The BBQ Thread

No. First time (I've gone longer without eating in the military but not on purpose). It really hasn't been bad. I did it mostly as an experiment after my brother did one last week. Hard to know whether it's great for you or terrible, a lot of conflicting info on the web. I've felt fine throughout though. Weirdest part is, have not really felt hungry.

I am aware of it - planned on going slow but I'll read your link as well. :cheers:

No. First time (I've gone longer without eating in the military but not on purpose). It really hasn't been bad. I did it mostly as an experiment after my brother did one last week. Hard to know whether it's great for you or terrible, a lot of conflicting info on the web. I've felt fine throughout though. Weirdest part is, have not really felt hungry.
Yes. Energy, as one example, can surge in many. In my experience hunger pangs disappeared at about the 24 hour point.

I never had any hunger pangs. I have been taking an electrolyte supplement the entire time as well, so I doubt I have any deficits on that front. And I am going right into keto from here, so won't be taking in much in terms of carbohydrates which seems to put you at higher risk.

My only concern was breaking a 3 day fast with BBQ. That kind of jumped out at me, hence my response.

Well - it's no-sugar BBQ.... just meat and fat, but I will take it slow and I always appreciate your advice! It probably sounded like I was going to gorge myself from the post...

Btw - doing an all day food prep at the end of a 3 day fast is kind of like getting your balls blown off in the war and then hanging out in the strip club for your recovery period.

Well - it's no-sugar BBQ.... just meat and fat, but I will take it slow and I always appreciate your advice! It probably sounded like I was going to gorge myself from the post...
I know I probably would. 🤣

I probably over-did it a bit, but stopped well short of what I would usually eat. We'll see how my GI tract does. As for the brisket, huge thumbs up as it was beyond tender with a decent bark and quite moist - best I have had in awhile so I think the technique changes I made were a big plus.

IMG_7495.jpeg

IMG_7496.jpeg

Going to do a keto-friendly beef stew today with some of my leftover brisket with mushrooms, asparagus, brussel sprouts, celery, green onion, zucchini, fresh tomato, green beans, cabbage, and collards.

The brisket stew I made last night was one of the best dishes I've ever made. In addition to the better beef broth, I added some soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, and fish sauce. It was absolutely delicious.

IMG_7497.jpeg

You should publish an e-book on how to break a fast. 😉

Or maybe, how NOT to break a fast ...

Apparently I got away with being less than conservative...

It works for you. We are all an experiment of 1.

The brisket stew I made last night was one of the best dishes I've ever made. In addition to the better beef broth, I added some soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, and fish sauce. It was absolutely delicious.

View attachment 7296
That looks fantastic!
I save the stock leftover from Mississippi pot roast, just for dishes like this, and chili....

Doing Texas Beef Ribs on the smoker today. Bought 2 racks at my local butcher, took off the membranes. I did some garlic hot sauce on them as a binder and then hit them with some garlic powder/kosher salt/black pepper on both sides. Going to pull them when they hit 170, wrap in butcher paper, and cook them to 200. No sauce of any kind. I'm doing keto but traditionally, if you're going to serve beef ribs with sauce, it's on the side, never on the ribs themselves.

I'm not really one to be bound by tradition, but in this case it works.

Going to roast some brussel sprouts to go with.

Beef ribs were really good. I sort of love the no-sauce thing as it allows you to really enjoy the meat and spices. The garlic hot sauce as a 'binder' to hold the rub in place was genius. After smoking there was just the slightest hint of heat. My wife (who does not do spicy) made no comment but it really added to the flavor profile. I rested them for about an hour in the warm oven since my wife was inbound from work. Would've been even better after a few hours wrapped in towels in the cooler.

One thing about wrapping with butcher paper... it is crazy how much grease gets soaked up in the paper while resting big cuts of meat. It literally saturates it and in some cases there are puddles of oil/grease. It's always surprising how much that breakdown of fat occurs during the resting process.

Beef shish kabob tonight with peppers, red onion, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes. One of my favorite meals. Done at 425-450 on the Traeger to make sure there's a little char on everything.

Did a couple of keto meatloafs on the smoker last night. Man - meatloaf is great this way. I used crushed pork rinds (no carbs) in place of bread crumbs and finished them with a no sugar BBQ sauce.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.