• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

That Awkward Moment When The World Doesn't End

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
I don't know if we have any doomsday preppers here, or if we have anyone who truly believes the world will end on December 21 of this year. If we do, your bubble is about to be burst.

The Mayan calendar did not account for one very important thing that we use in today's calendar - the leap year. They simply didn't use it.

Julius Caesar created the leap year around the year 45 BC. Since then, there have been 514 leap years, accounting for 514 extra days. Without that extra day added in every 4 years, today's date would not be March 5, 2012. It would instead be July 30, 2013.

Based on that fact, the world should have ended 7 months ago, but it didn't. You can relax and quit prepping now. You're welcome.

Not that I think the end of the world is coming, but I don't think they based their calculations on any version of our current solar calendar, leap year or no.

The Mayans based their calendar on a 365 day solar cycle. It would exactly fit our calendar today, minus the leap years.

The Mayan calendar is structured around several cycles or counts of varying length.

The 260 day count is commonly known to scholars as the Tzolk'in in the revised orthography of the Academia de las Lenguas Mayas de Guatemala. The Tzolk'in was combined with a 365-day solar year known as the Haab, or Haab year' , to form a synchronized cycle lasting for 52 Haabs, called the Calendar Round. Smaller cycles of 13 days (the trecena) and 20 days (the veintena) were important components of the Tzolk'in and Haab' cycles, respectively. The Calendar Round is still in use by many groups in the Guatemalan highlands.

I'm still waiting for the world to begin. What - you mean THIS is IT???

What a letdown.

Snooki is pregnant, and her due date is in December of this year. The Mayans were very smart people!!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4dhvm9ivGQ[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vn6kxfD3Ek[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxDFR5lKCNE[/media]

Sleep well. :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4dhvm9ivGQ[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vn6kxfD3Ek[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxDFR5lKCNE[/media]

Sleep well. :)
I will sleep fine. The poles reversing would go unnoticed, other than on the face of a compass, the odds of an asteroid hitting are 1 in a zillion, and if Yellowstone blows, there's nothing we can do about it anyway, so why sweat it? I'd be more worried about the flu personally :)

If world ends on Dec. 21st, just hope it waits until after the Skins game.

maya_cartoon.JPG

I will sleep fine. The poles reversing would go unnoticed, other than on the face of a compass...

Not so much.

If a pole shift does take place, it is said that the axis and magnetism of Earth will be changed, the poles will flip and reverse so that the south pole will have a positive magnetic charge instead of a negative magnetic charge, and the north pole will have a negative magnetic charge instead of the positive magnetic charge it now has. When this happens, it is believed that the Earth's rotation will change as well. The Earth's rotation will completely reverse and will literally spin in the opposite direction. Now no one knows this for sure, but scientists at NASA are presuming the reversal would take place. The science of magnetism depicts that if the poles reverse then Earth's rotation will also reverse.

The cataclysmic effects would be that the bodies of water would actually move just the way the water in a glass would slosh if the direction the glass is moving is changed. All the people who live in the "slosh zone" would be subject to tsunamis and flooding in 2012 if 2012 is when it happens.

The other thing that would happen according to scientists is that the Earth would not be stable during such a drastic change in its magnetic field. Tectonic plates would shift and move, earthquakes would happen, volcanic activity would be triggered, and incredible storms with wind and water would happen on the surface of the Earth while the weather patterns readjust. This of course would not support human habitation.

Link

My only issue with this, is the fact it's just a theory, they don't know. So I'm not worried, and worrying wouldn't do any good anyway.

It's not even a theory. A theory is what you get after you develop a hypothesis, which is a proposed explanation for something that's been observed, and test it against available data to see if it explains and can make predictions about what you're likely to find if you examine more data better than another hypothesis. Whichever explanation does the best job of that then becomes an accepted theory which itself is the best available explanation of observed phenomena. If a new hypothesis comes along that explains better and predicts better then the current theory is replaced with the new one.

This is more like conjecture or speculation based on...well, what at best I would call "imagination on steroids."

From what I've seen most of the doomsday types aren't worried about the Mayan date, they're worried about other stuff like polar shifts, major earthquakes, super volcanoes, etc, etc.

From what I've seen most of the doomsday types aren't worried about the Mayan date, they're worried about other stuff like polar shifts, major earthquakes, super volcanoes, etc, etc.

You been watching Doomsday Preppers too?

I watched one episode. I was so amazed. At how people can be so crazy, and be taken so seriously by millions watching.

I watched one episode. I was so amazed. At how people can be so crazy, and be taken so seriously by millions watching.

So you're saying those people are crazy? You're saying I shouldn't have the 6 month stockpile of food and 150 one gallon jugs of water stored down in my crawl space that is lined with foil and noise reduction insulation with a small armament?

So you're saying those people are crazy? You're saying I shouldn't have the 6 month stockpile of food and 150 one gallon jugs of water stored down in my crawl space that is lined with foil and noise reduction insulation with a small armament?
Exactly. Like a told my buddy next door (a prepper), if you have guns and ammo, you know how to hunt and fish, and you know how to make clean water, you don't need to dedicate your life to prepping for something that will likely not come during our lifetime. I would much rather be unprepared and say damn, I should have prepared, then to sit around for the next however many years wasting all of my time and money preparing for something, only to sit there 20 years from now still waiting, and watching all the **** expire. Money down the drain. Waste of time, waste of effort.

It's funny these people think the joke's on us, when it is totally on them. It's the 40s and 50s nuclear fallout shelters all overt again, and savage vultures are starting businesses to encourage the fear and make a buck. People are idiots :laugh:

If doomsday comes, a bunker and 6 months worth of canned food aren't going to save anybody. What will they do after 6 months? They'll starve, because they aren't prepping how to catch and harvest food from the wild.

First, yes I've been watching :)

2nd: Most of those people are crazy but the viewers do not take them seriously.

c) Many of then do develop more sustainable food/resource plans such as growing their own food.

IV. Some of the people on the show aren't really "preppers" so much as they just want to be self-sustainable regardless of when the end of the world happens. And some of them are just bat**** crazy/stupid. Like the lady whose plan was to walk from her apt to her car which was hidden several miles away, then drive her car to Mexico. Except she barely had enough stamina to finish the walk to her car, and her car didn't even have enough gas to get to Mexico. Not to mention I've no idea why she thought Mexico was a good alternative to Texas.

**Also most of them aren't preparing for the "end of days", as it were. More like a global crisis such as hyperinflation or a major oil shortage. In those cases, I think many of their plans would be a little more valid.

They are still bat**** crazy though.

Wait! I was being serious!

Yeah Ren, I saw her. She was a little out of shape and hadn't really thought things out very well. I think the guy who lives in LA and is learning to live of the local fauna has a few screws loose too.

I think the couple in Vermont are the only ones I have seen who really weren't looking for the end as much as what you say, they are just being self sustaining. Reminds me a lot of my youth when I would spend time with relatives in the country who actually lived that way...because it was normal. Good thing I learned how to garden, can, milk, and raise livestock for slaughter. But I gotta admit, I like being able to go to the grocery store better. :laugh:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.