• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Thank You Clinton Portis

ooooooooooh....so we're selective on who can talk trash.

Of course we are.

Lanky can talk trash all day about Jason Campbell or Dan Snyder and hell, I might agree with him, but if a Cowboy fan comes on here and starts it up I'm giving him holy hell. You're damn right I will. And so would you, because we may fight amongst ourselves in house but when someone from the outside says something we circle the wagons.

Yes, it absolutely matters who says what and one of the cardinal rules of team sports is you don't talk trash about your teammates. Players who do get (rightly) labelled team cancers and are sent packing, even if they have gobs of talent. Someone else mentioned TO. The ONLY reason that a guy who plays that damn well has been on four different teams is his mouth.

Over the years I have been a HUGE Portis backer. I have gone 15 rounds on various boards for him many, many times. But even I can see that Portis has now entered TO territory. He publicly called out his quarterback and every player who's gone on record has sided against him. That's reflects extremely badly on Portis.

He's dug himself a huge, huge hole here. I'd be shocked and amazed if he was on the roster at the start of camp.

Portis, to a certain extent, is an idiot. A talented idiot, but still, an idiot, and I think he's shown that to be the case repeatedly. I think one can appreciate his contributions, especially during the Gibbs years when his nonsense was kept under control by the knowledge that Gibbs simply wouldn't put up with the ego-centric BS. I've never felt Portis
, unlike 'bad seeds' like T.O., meant any real harm. I've always felt like at his core, he plays hard, is a team guy, and means well. But he just can't stop himself from this kind of stuff.
Sorry - but if you haven't figured that out by now, you just aren't paying attention, or you don't want to see it :)

I will dispute one thing - I think Portis is tough as nails. I think if he could've played through this season's concussion, he would've have. I have to give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

Still, he's worn out his welcome in my opinion. His talents no longer justify looking past the overall impact he has. He's a drag on this team now. He'll either shut up, commit to hard work, show up and produce, or he'll be gone. That's how it is for all the rest of us grownups, so it's pretty hard to argue how unfair that expectation is in my opinion.

Last edited:
I'll have to do this later. Damn mobile device ...

Last edited:
well thats just hypocritical, isnt it?

Why? You might argue with your wife in private, but you wouldn't do it in front of your kids. It's called Time and Place.

Why is that so difficult to understand?

Riggo and Portis are both Redskins. Both play(ed) RB. Both play(ed)under Gibbs. So I dont really get the Cowbum analogy..

Oh I get what you are saying here. Believe me I get that Portis is talking **** about his teammates and that is wrong. What I DONT get is why it is Ok for us to do it, Riggo to do it, Theismann to do it but not the guy who plays with him. The guy who sits next to him in the locker room, practices with him, is in the huddle with him. Why does he have to now hold his tongue? Its been all good all season to watch everyone on here trash this team from top to bottom in and out, back and forth. But now that Portis has come out and done the same thing he is now the devil.

Mike, we are not on the team. We're fans. Riggo and Theismann are the media. We don't line up with these guys and play. I have to explain this?

You seem to be wanting to turn this thread into an excuse to bash anyone even loosely affiliated with the team that dares criticize the team's play in any way. Sorry, I'm not buying that. There is a huge huge HUGE difference between the guys that get paid to play, the guys that pay them, and the guys that get paid to talk about them.

and to compare Portis to TO just shows me that maybe you didnt go as hard for him as you think. TO is probably the worst teammate in the past decade and you just compared the guy you said you have battled for to him.

I didn't say Portis was exactly like TO. I said he was entering TO territory.
TO is a player famous for trashing his QBs. He went after Garcia. He went after McNabb and then he went after Romo. Portis has just launched a similar attack on Campbell. The funny thing is, when TO has gone after his QBs in the past, his teammates have often backed him up. Noone on the Redskins is backing up Portis.

Oh, and don't attack my fandom Mike. That's cheap and you're better than that.

Mike, you answered your own question - we're bashing Portis because he broke the "don't trash your teammates rule" you say you understand. Riggo broke no such rule, neither did I, when bashing Portis.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Im calling shenanigans here. You're cool with Riggo doing it even though what he says reaches more people then Portis.

people are just pissed at Portis for having lunch with Snyder.

At this point, you're just arguing to argue.

Mike, you say you understand the teammate argument, then continue to ignore it.

YES I am cool with Riggo doing it. He is not a TEAMMATE. He is MEDIA, and is paid to talk about the Redskins and criticize when necessary.

I don't know how much clearer I can be.

huh? I think you might be mistaken here. What I'm saying is if it is ok for Riggo and company to bash Campbell and we dont get up in arms about it then why do we get all bent out of shape when a guy who has played next to and with him for years does it?

Riggo and company are paid to comment on Campbell, not play alongside him. I'm not sure how you can't understand the difference.

I get this "rule" about not trashing your own teammates. Believe me I do. What I dont get is why we are going to bash CP for it but love Riggo. And I dont want to hear because Riggo did such and such for the team..so has CP.

I like Riggo's commentary because he doesn't pull any punches. He doesn't sugar-coat things. I appreciate that from someone who is paid to give us his thoughts. I don't appreciate it from someone who's paid to have Campbell's back.

I dont think I attacked your fandom Henry. I think I attacked your defending of Portis. And if you read in to it that I dont think thats how I came across but I apologize. I dont think you are less of a fan then me and never have.

I meant my fandom of Portis. I have no desire to defend my statement that I have been a huge fan of his for years. That's a given. I have been. If you don't believe me that's fine but don't try and tell me what I have thought of the man.

My point was that even as a big fan of his I don't see how his statement is defensible.

For what it's worth:

Mike, brother -- I know you think a lot of people are needlessly or hypocritically bashing CP and by doing so perhaps marginalizing his play as a Redskin, but that's not true. I don't think anyone who has followed the team even a little these past 5-6 years would dispute CP's heart, his competitiveness, and his talent. I agree with Boone that the man is one of the tougher cats I've seen play a game full of nothing BUT tough men.

I get that you're taking up for a player you respect, amigo. I really do. But what most everyone else in this thread has been saying is true. Riggins is a former player who now covers them for the media. Nothing he says or does now could possibly be as divisive, as morale-threatening, as any careless, out-of-house comments made by ANY current player on the roster, much less a star of CP's stature. Even if Riggo actively tried to create a split, or spread dissension in the locker room (which he wouldn't) it would have little effect because he's not one of the 53 lacing 'em up every Sunday anymore.

He gets that. We get that. CP apparently doesn't. No matter what kind of issues you may have with a teammate, you never ever ever air that crap in the open. It needs to stay in-house, behind closed doors, or it will become so much more than idle talk and in short order can destroy even the most harmonious teams. We've all seen this happen time and time again in this and other sports -- it's an indisputable fact of team life. I respect what I THINK you're trying to do in speaking on CP's behalf, but it is going to continue to fall on deaf ears here and elsewhere for good reason: the man is wrong to speak out like that. He knows better.

I don't think anyone who has followed the team even a little these past 5-6 years would dispute CP's heart, his competitiveness, and his talent. I agree with Boone that the man is one of the tougher cats I've seen play a game full of nothing BUT tough men.

I agree with this as well. For what it's worth.

For a guy that says he doesn't let things bother him, Portis has been quite effective at using the Thompson Show as a staging ground to question the actions of his coaches and take shots at his teammates over alleged slights he suffered.

Terrell Owens?

No, Portis is not like Owens. Owens despite his mouth comes to camp in great physical condition and at 33 is light years ahead of Portis in realizing you have to work harder as you get older.

As far as Shanahan goes, no doubt he sees that Portis is at war with half of his teammates and while he can make changes he can't fire all of the other players.

In the end it is easier for him to release Portis and find a younger, cheaper guy that can tote the rock.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Stump's end of season report to new coach Shanahan isn't going to help Clinton much, I don't think.

Couldn't get much clearer than that. I think Shanahan will sit down with Clinton and tell him point blank that he has to commit to an off-season workout plan and be ready to play right out of the gate. If he does, he'll stay. If not, he's gone. Simple as that.

Can he change into a model player at this stage in his career? I doubt it. I'd like for him to prove me wrong, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'm shocked :rolleyes:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/mitchell-clinton-couldve-worke.html

Asked whether Portis would benefit from improved practice habits and better conditioning, Mitchell said, "that's a slam dunk. Clinton could've worked harder."

"He's got to do that, and Dan" -- owner Daniel Snyder -- "has to understand that that's what has to be done. In order for the Redskins to be successful, that's what Clinton has to do. He has to change the way he's done things in the past, in order for them to be successful as a team."

Like I said, how CP is handled will be an excellent litmus test to exactly how much power Shanahan wields and how much say Snyder still has.

Well, I think Portis' medical report will weigh most on anything going forward. Concussions with weeks lingering effects are not very good for NFL running backs who have 5+ years in the league. And, the league is ultra sensitive to concussions in particular these days. Has anyone heard how his meeting with the concussion expert went?

I don't disagree with that, and I haven't heard how the meeting went. That may make the decision on his future for us and lead to an injury settlement where both sides could save a little face.

You factor the concussion issue in with the other injury concerns AND the locker room/off field stuff and it starts to look a like we should make preparations to move on. There are two problems with cutting Portis loose; first, he is going to cost a great deal next year regardless if he stays or goes and second he’s still the best back on the team currently.

Based on the type of coach that Shanahan is it looks like either Portis gets his ass in gear and works hard and practices, or he will not be the starting RB/on the team.

Portis obviously won't be cut before June, because that would set us back something like $14+ million in an accelerated cap hit. After June, Shanahan & Co. will know whether CP is taking things seriously, keeping any thoughts in-house, etc. If so, welcome back. If not, we release him, and the cap hit occurs in the (presumably uncapped) 2010 season, which is probably a great time to get rid of him and what is now a cap cost much greater than his talent (which I think is still high).

Or, even better, if it would work, keep him till after June, have Allen figure out if there's some way CP can be paid his guaranteed salary by us, then trade him to some other team (who would get him for minimal additional expense) for draft picks or some promising OL prospect: Snyder may be able to, as a practical matter, buy draft picks in an uncapped year.

If next year is uncapped does the June date hold any significance? I honestly don't know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.