• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Taylor Heinicke Discussion

Explain how Heinicke having one season means we can't judge his ceiling, while simultaneously arguing Howell will never amount to anything?

And good luck.

I didn't say Howell would never amount to anything. I said the odds were stacked against him, as a 5th round draft pick.

Heinicke has beaten the odds. He is obviously better than Wentz. He should be starting. This team could have won 9 or 10 games if Wentz weren't playing.

This season is a tragedy, the worst season in my lifetime.

I didn't say Howell would never amount to anything. I said the odds were stacked against him, as a 5th round draft pick.

Heinicke has beaten the odds. He is obviously better than Wentz. He should be starting. This team could have won 9 or 10 games if Wentz weren't playing.

This season is a tragedy, the worst season in my lifetime.
Then you are really young.

Then you are really young.

Nope. Our current starting QB is nowhere near as good as Heinicke. I can't think of another season where it was abundantly clear that our backup QB was better than our starting QB. Even Jay Schroeder was good enough to lead Washington to the NFC Championship game in 1986, before Doug Williams took over in 1987.

This team has enough talent to have a winning record, but not with the pathetic Wentz at QB.

Last edited:
Can’t remember a time where it was as abundantly clear that the backup was better than the starter (paraphrased).

Haskins and Alex Smith or anyone really?
RGIII vs Cousins?

Last edited:
Whoops. Meant to quote second sentence.

Just put the backup QB in and everything will work out.

Yeah, we've NEVER heard that one in DC before. :)

Just put the backup QB in and everything will work out.

Yeah, we've NEVER heard that one in DC before. :)
Todd Collins do did well, arguably better than Jason Campbell.

Can't lie, after last night's performance I am about 3/4 of the way out on Wentz. We paid too much and gave up too much to have a QB who throws for 99 yards in primetime. I can say he didn't fumble or throw picks this game, but he damn sure tried to throw two in a row on the final drive.

He holds the ball too long
He has always been hurt in one form or another his entire career
He throws terrible picks
He isn't calling audibles even when he knows he should.

We could have this kind of showing from Taylor or a number of backups for way cheaper.

I don't disagree with any of that. Wentz is a disaster.

Heinicke would at least be fun to watch.

One of the main reasons we got Wentz and benched Taylor was the deep ball. Well, Wentz still either throws it too high which allows the corner to catch up, or overthrows them. That's no better than not having the ark strength to get it there.

If I'm walking to the line supposed to call "off tackle left Gibson" and they've overloaded the left side...I'm calling an audible based on saving a life if nothing else!

There are so many times we see them stacking the box and we run it up the gut for 0 or 1 that it's ridiculous he doesn't.

If I'm walking to the line supposed to call "off tackle left Gibson" and they've overloaded the left side...I'm calling an audible based on saving a life if nothing else!

There are so many times we see them stacking the box and we run it up the gut for 0 or 1 that it's ridiculous he doesn't.

What I'm asking is does Turner allow audibles in his offense, I honestly don't know. I understand your thought process but if he's been instructed always run what's called then he's at an impasse regardless of his own judgement.

Probably not. But, he also doesn't allow consistent game planning or adjustments at halftime.

From Turner's response in his presser last week, no audibles are allowed. Only changes in protection schemes.

Having said that, I would swear I saw Wentz change the call at the line a couple of times last night.

Imagine being threatened at your job so much you won't allow someone to succeed by their own calls.

That's pretty pathetic.

When I heard this week Turner say Wentz doesn't have much leeway to change things besides protection schemes, I couldn't believe it. I also can't believe there wasn't a follow-up question on that. Is this a new norm in the NFL? Do other teams do this? I haven't heard that, but maybe that's why that wasn't pressed.

Turner went on to say something to the effect that looking back at the plays we didn't see anything that would have changed anyway. Maybe this explains why we run up the gut when they are stacking the box.

Yeah, that unbelievable response from Turner was embarrassing and it lowered my estimation of him several notches. If you are going to be a control freak, you’d better be producing. And his offense is awful.

No audibles is a part of the Air Coryell offense (as I understand it), and not a universal thing. Rush audibled a lot against us a couple weeks ago.

Having said that, again as I understand it, plays are designed so that WRs have options on every play based on what the defense gives them. It is then on the QB and WR to each recognize the defense and understand which routes will be run.

No audibles is a part of the Air Coryell offense (as I understand it), and not a universal thing. Rush audibled a lot against us a couple weeks ago.

Having said that, again as I understand it, plays are designed so that WRs have options on every play based on what the defense gives them. It is then on the QB and WR to each recognize the defense and understand which routes will be run.

Ok....I can understand that for passing plays, but what about run plays?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.