• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Tandler: It's A Buyer's Market At Wide Receiver

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
This is huge. Our timing couldn't possibly be any better.

Load em up......

Once again, the Redskins are in need of at least two wide receivers to fill out their roster and to give Robert Griffin III additional targets so he can continue his development.

The draft is loaded at receiver. Mel Kiper said that teams will be able to get an immediate starter or at least a strong contributor at the position as late as the third or fourth round. Mike Mayock said that this is the deepest draft for receivers he’d ever seen.

With a buyer?s market at WR, will the Redskins take advantage? | Rich Tandler's Real Redskins

This is huge. Our timing couldn't possibly be any better.

Load em up......

Once again, the Redskins are in need of at least two wide receivers to fill out their roster and to give Robert Griffin III additional targets so he can continue his development.

The draft is loaded at receiver. Mel Kiper said that teams will be able to get an immediate starter or at least a strong contributor at the position as late as the third or fourth round. Mike Mayock said that this is the deepest draft for receivers he’d ever seen.

With a buyer?s market at WR, will the Redskins take advantage? | Rich Tandler's Real Redskins

The same Mel Kiper who said Jimmy Clausen would be a perennial pro-bowl QB. I would not be opposed to choosing one of the very good WR's with our pick at 34...someone like Robinson...but Mel Kiper? :laugh:

It's not just Kiper talking about the depth of this draft,several scouts and GMs
have commented on this.
Kevin Colbert,Steelers GM, has stated this is the deepest draft he's seen in 30 yrs.

I sure as hell hope so and I pray that for once that the Redskins are smart enough to take advantage of it.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the metrics exist, but Kiper has to be the worst draft guy out there. This time, however, I believe he's running with the herd.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

The same Mel Kiper who said Jimmy Clausen would be a perennial pro-bowl QB. I would not be opposed to choosing one of the very good WR's with our pick at 34...someone like Robinson...but Mel Kiper? :laugh:

That's really not a fair or reasonable point Brian. No 'analyst' is going to be anywhere near perfect - particularly a guy like Kiper who puts his 'best' prognostications out there continuously. Like Kiper or not, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone more knowledgeable than him on the draft. I don't get the mocking tone...

That's really not a fair or reasonable point Brian. No 'analyst' is going to be anywhere near perfect - particularly a guy like Kiper who puts his 'best' prognostications out there continuously. Like Kiper or not, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone more knowledgeable than him on the draft. I don't get the mocking tone...

The mocking tone is from my disdain for the man. He sat on national TV and admonished Todd McShay for suggesting Clausen was a 2nd round talent at best. Disagree? Fine...but he was a complete dick about it, getting all fired up. Not to mention he is one of the worst draft "experts" I have seen over the last 5 years. Surprised he still has a job.

So when someone brings him into the equation, I scoff.

I'm with E, the guy is an arrogant douche and his prognosticating isn't terribly accurate. Now Mike Mayock is the complete opposite end of the spectrum, respectful and an encyclopedic knowledge of the players and the way the positions are played and has good credibility as a former player. Kiper only comes out of his mom's basement (figuratively) when draft time rolls around. Kiper lacks credibility with a LOT of folks Boone, I'm surprised you're surprised. ;)

Gotta echo CT and El...Kiper bathes in douche cologne every morning, and eats douchecakes for breakfast. A-hole just oozes from his pores, and make my skin crawl. He's been elevated to this lofty position of draft guru, without really earning it, IMO. He's the potatoes without the steak. Others routinely and consistently do better than him in their projections, including many "regular" folks.

I have no doubt he does his homework, and lots of it. He's got all the pieces, he's just not very good at putting the puzzle together.

Hopefully Gruden and company nail whatever WR draft pick(s) they make, as I'm real tired of no homegrown talent at WR. We deserve a Calvin Johnson, AJ Green or Larry Fitzgerald type, homegrown superstar here!!

The statement was that Kiper was incompetent based on one assessment out of thousands. Whether he is a 'douche' or not is a different conversation. Kiper is one of the most knowledgeable draft guys out there, I'll stand by that statement.

CSN are running an open thread on whether the Redskins go for a QB in the draft. Obviously just trying to get a few extra hits and some incredulous responses, but under what circumstances would you have a look?

Coverage of the NFL here is decent, but limited, college football even less so... but did like the look of Mettenberger before he got hurt, from the little I did get to see of him. Complete fantasy land time, so please suspend knowledge of the desperate needs we have in almost every other area, but if we could somehow get a 2nd for Kirk, I'd take a rehabing ZM (ahead of schedule apparently... but then they would say that), keep Rex on a short term deal until ZM was fit, and then release Rex when ZM was ready for reps. He's a better mover than Kirk, so perhaps a better fit to fill in on an offense built around Robert?

Worst case, you'd probably get a 2nd for him next year as well because of the hype that was building around him before the injury, so you haven't lost anything, and with greater potential value than Kirk.

Agree with all of that, just wondered if they might be tempted to roll the dice on somebody that might just be a better fit, and might have a greater trade value further down the line. All based on getting 2nd for Kirk which I don't think there's any chance of.

I'd be pretty upset if it came out that management committed a big amount of the off season plotting this one while ignoring other areas, but thought it was a potentially interesting theoretical situation, should it fall into their lap.

The statement was that Kiper was incompetent based on one assessment out of thousands. Whether he is a 'douche' or not is a different conversation. Kiper is one of the most knowledgeable draft guys out there, I'll stand by that statement.

That's just it. It wasn't one statement that I based that mocking assertion. It is what I have seen from him over the past 5 years as I have followed the NFL more than the average NFL fan...like many here.

Kiper aside, we need to keep in mind that this article focuses on free agency and there is nothing with taking another team's talent and turn them something even better in a Redskins uniform.

That being said, the "buyer's market" includes a bunch of guys and nothing more. We have one elite receiver now (Pierre) and getting another one would be nice. Whether it be in FA or the draft makes no difference. Finding a good slot receiver should be a priority though. Get Edelman if possible and grab a good big body in the draft - this should be easier said than done with the numbers favoring the Redskins this season.

Still need the big bodies up front though - on both sides.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the metrics exist, but Kiper has to be the worst draft guy out there. This time, however, I believe he's running with the herd.

Lanky, the metrics do exist but they do not support statements about how poorly Kiper has done compared to other folks making mock drafts.

His 2013 draft mock was not among the best but over the last five years he has been among the best as far as the first round goes.

The Huddle report ranks the success of 1st round mock drafts through a point system-1 point for the player actually going in the first round( the "P" column) and 2 points if the mock draft creator gets the team selecting him right(the "M" column).

Screenshot - 2_26_2014 , 1_38_34 AM.jpg

As you can see, Kiper has been among the top five averaging over the last five years even though his 2013 performance fell off from how he had been doing over the previous four years.

He might be top 5 average but looking at his numbers he pales in comparison to the best. The way the guy blows his own horn you'd think he was literally head and shoulders above the rest and in fact he's nowhere near that. Also I see no 5 year avg. for Mayock on the 2nd list. Kind of invalidates it to me to a degree.

When you realize guys like kiper live off of his connections within the league, including FO people and agents, you look at his opinions differently.

He got all hot and bothered about Clausen. Clausen's agent was a groomsman in kiper's wedding.

It's not about evaluating players and team need with these guys. It's about connections and looking after each other.

Whoops hit new post instead of edit.

l take the mock drafts on here over those guys every day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.