• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

[Tandler] 8 Redskins starts to be free agents

tshile

This is a little older but it's new to me. There are 8 guys that are on the bubble for resigning, it'll be interesting to see how they do in a contract year
Need to Know: 8 Redskins starts to be free agents

Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, July 10, 15 days before the Redskins start training camp.

Lots of contracts up in 2014

The most talked about Redskin who is going into his contract year is Brian Orakpo. The five-year deal he signed after he was the 13th overall pick in the 2009 draft will run out after this season. Although there has been a little buzz about an extension this summer, for many reasons it seems very likely that Orakpo will go into the season with an expiring contract.

Although he is the most talked about starter who could be an unrestricted free agent in 2014, he is not the only one. Here is a quick look at some of the other Redskins who are going into contract seasons.

WR Josh Morgan: He had an OK 2012 season as he led the team in receptions with 48 but his average of 10.6 yards per catch was the second lowest of his career. Surgery to clear up lingering issues from his 2011 broken ankle should help.

TE Fred Davis: Seasons ended prematurely by a drug suspension and by an injury have left Davis playing on a one-year deal. A big season would help both the 27-year-old and the Redskins.

ILB London Fletcher: There are lots of questions here. Will Fletcher want to come back in 2014? Would the Redskins give a contract to a linebacker who will be 39 before the start of the 2014 season? Of course, much depends on how Fletcher plays this year.

ILB Perry Riley: If Fletcher goes, they certainly can’t afford to lose Riley, who appears to be the guy they are grooming to call the defensive signals. In fact, even if Fletcher stays in 2014 they need Riley for the long term.

CB Josh Wilson: Wilson probably is never going to make a Pro Bowl and many Redskins fans seem to think the team can do better at the position. But those fans had better be careful what they wish for; they could also do much worse.

CB DeAngelo Hall: The Redskins released Hall in a salary cap move in March but brought him back at a greatly reduced salary. The conventional wisdom seems to be that David Amerson will be ready to start next year and that Hall will be expendable. We will see.

SS Brandon Meriweather: Unless he can stay healthy and prove to be the ideal strong safety for the Redskins’ 3-4 defense—something we saw very briefly in one game in 2012—it seems unlikely that the team will be interested in bringing him back. He will be 30 before the 2014 season starts.

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-ta...kpo-not-the-only-2014-free-agent-starter.html

Come on, Tandler! How can you have such a blatant typo in the headline of your article? That drives me NUTS!

Out of that group I'd say resign Riley and Wilson, maybe Rak but we'll see. Let the rest walk.

Edit: I love me some Fletch but gotta do it at some point. Immediately give him lb coach assistant position.

Riley is a no brainer for me. I've liked him since he first started getting playing time. If Merriweather plays all 16 games and plays 2/3 as well as we seem to think he's capable of then he's worth keeping due to a lack of any really good options.

I could do without the rest unless they are willing to sign a deal that makes sense. I don't see a way Davis is back unless he has a lights out year. I'd put Orakpo in the same category as Davis.

edit: whoops, reading is fundamental.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orakpo, Riley & Morgan are the three must-signs on that list. Everyone else is expendable. I suppose wait and see if any of the safeties & corners we drafted pan out before dismissing Meriweather & Hall altogether first. Well, if Hall comes back on the cheap again, then maybe keep him. I have a feeling that he'll have a good year (if Orakpo stays healthy all year, and keeps generating pass-rush), and want to get paid again.

That's interesting Lanky, because I'm not sure how I feel about Morgan. I think I completely overlooked him. It's not like we have the luxury of turning away a productive receiver.

Orakpo, Riley and maybe one of the corners. Not a devastating list though.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

That's interesting Lanky, because I'm not sure how I feel about Morgan. I think I completely overlooked him. It's not like we have the luxury of turning away a productive receiver.

I don't see any way that Morgan can be considered a "must-sign"

My thinking is this - he was Griffin's go-to guy last year. I was down on him after the Detroit game, but he really came through for us a few times later in the season. He's not flashy, just goes to work and does his job. Anyway...I suppose he's not a "must sign," but with an ever-aging Santana Moss, a question mark in Hankerson, that leaves Garçon as the only sure-fire option at WR on the roster. Morgan will never challenge for the #1 spot, but he's a very solid 2nd WR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.