• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Super Bowl LIV Thread

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
OK, I have been holding off on my prediction til closer to the game, so let's stir the pot!

Many times, great players carry teams to Championships. The Chiefs have a great one in Patrick Mahomes, and that kid is hard to stop. But he can be stopped, and was 4 times this year. It just takes a good defense with great coaching.

This year, I believe the game will come down to the coaches. Andy Reid deserves credit as one of the best coaches in the NFL over the course of the last 20 years. His ability to put together an offense that is explosive is second to almost none.

However, I think Kyle Shanahan may be the best coach in the NFL right now. He too has developed an offense that is extremely innovative, and gets the most out of the players. Unlike his father, he isn't pinned down to a single scheme...a scheme that was limited unless all the right pieces were in place. Kyle has adjusted, and his offense is more exciting and productive.

So, with that defense and Kyle's desire to make up for his unfortunate decisions that helped the Patriots come back from a 16 point deficit in the 4th Q of the Falcons v Pats Super Bowl...

...I think Kyle out coaches Andy Reid, and the 49ers win the Super Bowl.

I don't think the outcome will have anything to do with coaching. The 49ers are going to pound the ball relentlessly and KC will be hard pressed to stop it. On the other side of the ball, the 49ers defense is going to pressure Mahommes all evening and while you can't shut him down, he won't be able to do enough. I'm willing to bet that he'll break some runs off and whatever drives they sustain and points they score will be keyed by big Mahommes scrambles. But he won't get the time to kill them in the downfield passing game as he so often does. It's close at halftime, but the ground game wears the Chiefs down in the 2nd half and San Fran wins going away 34-24.

I think the fact that San Fran can consistently get pressure with just 4 is going to be a huge factor.

But I think the defensive scheme the 49ers use to prevent Mahomes from getting the points off the scramble, and Kyle's ability to see what the defense is giving him, and take full advantage of it, will be what gives them the opportunity to take over in the 4th.

As we well know here in DC...it isn't just about running the ball on 1st and 2nd every series, it's mixing up run schemes like running from a spread formation, or between the tackles with one WR and 2 TE sets, and everything in between. That's why Kyle has had so much success running the ball this season. He's not running the same old ZBS his father ran, he mixes it up well, depending what the defense is giving him.

You're right...it's a simple game plan to win, run it well, keep Mahomes off the field, and wear down their defense.

I just hope it's a good game and Andy Reid doesn't have a complete melt down...again.

I think it's Andy Reid's time, and I think KC is going to run a gameplan that forces Garoppolo to beat them with his arm, which I don't think he's capable of doing. I expect a fast paced start to the game, but with very little scoring early, before KC takes off offensively. San Francisco plays catch up in the second half, but never gets as close as the final score indicates.

33-24 Chiefs over 49ers.

Kyle getting away from the run. I thought maybe he'd learned his lesson against the Pats.

That was a pretty aggressive PI call on Kittle there. Yeah - he extended his arm, but the 49ers defender had his hands on him as well. In real time, I didn't think Kittle got any advantage as far as a 'push off'. One of those perhaps technically correct calls that easily could've (and probably should've) gone uncalled.

That was a pretty aggressive PI call on Kittle there. Yeah - he extended his arm, but the 49ers defender had his hands on him as well. In real time, I didn't think Kittle got any advantage as far as a 'push off'. One of those perhaps technically correct calls that easily could've (and probably should've) gone uncalled.

And I find it ironic that Kyle was talking about the defensive holding the Chiefs are known for. I agree with you, it was a tricky tack call that probably cost the 49ers some points.

Also, am I the only one who noticed the hold on the Chiefs when Mahomes broke off the 3rd and 11 run that set up 4th and 1?

Not sure it would have changed the outcome, but the OLB was clearly held on the edge...so much so he was turned around.

Well, I thought Kyle Shanahan would have learned his lesson when he blew the 4th Q lead against the Patriots when he depended on the play action too much.
Looks like he didn't. He depended upon it too much, it bit him in the ass. He should have run that ball much more than he did in the 4th Q.
Spagnola knew what he was doing, and called a great defense. Kyle out coached himself again, he did the same thing when he was with the Redskins.
I still think Kyle Shanahan is a great coach, he'll be back.
Congratulations Andy Reid!

I'm glad the chiefs won, KC deserves a title.

Let's hope Rivera gets our squad playing like the 2 teams did tonight

I'm glad the chiefs won, KC deserves a title.

Let's hope Rivera gets our squad playing like the 2 teams did tonight

Everyone seemed to be so pro-49ers in this one. I don't know why, but that surprised me. I like Mahomes, and I wanted Andy Reid to get his ring. When you add that to the fact it's fun to watch Kyle implode in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl, I don't think this game could have played out any better.

Of course, 99% of San Fran fans are blaming the refs for letting them play. I actually wish more games were called the way last night's game was.

Everyone seemed to be so pro-49ers in this one. I don't know why, but that surprised me. I like Mahomes, and I wanted Andy Reid to get his ring. When you add that to the fact it's fun to watch Kyle implode in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl, I don't think this game could have played out any better.

Of course, 99% of San Fran fans are blaming the refs for letting them play. I actually wish more games were called the way last night's game was.

Few games are decided by the refs, but the NFL has put into place methods that allow for it.

Last night? It did not change the ultimate outcome, but the refs certainly didn't do the 49ers any favors. On at least 3 different long 3rd down conversions there were such blatant holds by the Chiefs OL, that they changed the direction of the player being held by yanking on the jersey. In fact, 99 times out of 100 the call against Kittle, that probably killed 3 points for the 49ers, would go uncalled.

For you to simply discount those calls by the refs, is disingenuous, but I guess we see things how we want.

In fact, 99 times out of 100 the call against Kittle, that probably killed 3 points for the 49ers, would go uncalled.

Yea, the first thing I thought of, was this year's playoffs game - I think it was the Minnesota game, didn't they have a questionable non-call at the end, where the receiver pushed off for the game-winning TD ?
I personally thought that was more blatant than Kittle's push-off. So if Kittle's was called, the Viking one definitely should have.
The main problem is consistency.
We can argue what should or should not be called - but there's no argument and no question, that they're very inconsistent with their calls.

Few games are decided by the refs, but the NFL has put into place methods that allow for it.

Last night? It did not change the ultimate outcome, but the refs certainly didn't do the 49ers any favors. On at least 3 different long 3rd down conversions there were such blatant holds by the Chiefs OL, that they changed the direction of the player being held by yanking on the jersey. In fact, 99 times out of 100 the call against Kittle, that probably killed 3 points for the 49ers, would go uncalled.

For you to simply discount those calls by the refs, is disingenuous, but I guess we see things how we want.

None of us ever knows which missed or borderline calls would've impacted the outcome of a game. Any call could impact the outcome of the game by extending a drive that otherwise might've ended, give possession to the other team, change the playcalls on the next down, etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.