• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Suffering Through 2013 Cap Space

Elephant

The Commissioner
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1576150-2014-offseason-will-be-a-whole-new-ballgame-for-the-washington-redskins

Found this article and three thoughts immediately jumped to mind:

1.) It is refreshing to know that the youth we have will get the chance to play...dare I say develop? Forced or not, this is a crucial change in the last 3 years and this forced absence from free agent spending is actually a possible positive for us.

2.) The large number of players we will have under contract after the '13 season ends and those whom are not, are expendable and can be replaced with another solid, young free agent.

3.) The knowledge that winning is possible without outrageous spending in free agency is finally starting to sink in on us as a fan base.

Found this article and three thoughts immediately jumped to mind:

1.) It is refreshing to know that the youth we have will get the chance to play...dare I say develop? Forced or not, this is a crucial change in the last 3 years and this forced absence from free agent spending is actually a possible positive for us.
Wait, What? I'm pretty sure we've had a lot of young guys playing the past three years. Hell, last year alone, rookies and second year players were most of our brightest stars.

Wait, What? I'm pretty sure we've had a lot of young guys playing the past three years. Hell, last year alone, rookies and second year players were most of our brightest stars.

Not to speak for El, but I'm pretty sure that's his point...before the past three years we've never really had the quality, young depth.

I re-read that and saw that it was not clear. I meant the change that has been occurring over the last 3 years from the previous regime.

Just a shame it appears recent high picks in LeRibeus and Jarvis Jenkins are still slated to be backups behind Lichtensteiger and Carriker.

To become a championship caliber team we can't afford to miss on these picks.

While both Lichtensteiger and Carriker have been solid performers for the most part, neither are close to pro bowl level talents.

I guess I'm failing to see how the cap penalty is a possible positive for us. Having the cap space wouldn't necessarily mean a huge spending spree anyway but it WOULD mean we could UPGRADE certain positions that were weak spots last year like RT, CB and S and who knows what would have happened if we were able to outbid the Bucs last year for Vincent Jackson, who made the Pro Bowl this past season.

Sure, seeing if our depth can sink or swim is probably a bright spot but it can ultimately prevent us from even reaching the playoffs this year. Or course it bodes well for next year but having to take it on the chin this year because of those two assclowns makes it a lot harder to see the silver lining.

Death to Goodell, Death to Mara. Yeah, I hold grudges.

Jimbo, couldn't agree more with your last two sentences. Those ****ers are dead to me.

As for the article and El's post, I think they were both just pointing out silver linings in our crap situation. Looking on the brightside, so to speak.

Personally, I think in the VERY long run, this may help us a great deal, though if we revert to old form and go sign the highest price free agent next year for $200M, I may cry.

Just a shame it appears recent high picks in LeRibeus and Jarvis Jenkins are still slated to be backups behind Lichtensteiger and Carriker.

To become a championship caliber team we can't afford to miss on these picks.

While both Lichtensteiger and Carriker have been solid performers for the most part, neither are close to pro bowl level talents.

close to where I am headed on this: we haven't discussed much (me? I don't know squat in this area!) about where the emphasis shifts in all of this. Scouting. Personnel Assessment. Player Development.

I have no idea where the Skins talent evaluation/success ratio falls relative to other teams. we will find out this year. while I'm optimistic..I can see scenarios where the team falls to 8-8.

don't forget: next yr preferably, we are going to sign Robert (and maybe Alfred) to extensions. that's going to be costly.

don't forget: next yr preferably, we are going to sign Robert (and maybe Alfred) to extensions. that's going to be costly.

Robert for sure, not sure if Shanahan will extend Morris or not. If recent history is any indication, Shanny will use Morris like a workhorse and then trade him in his contract year for max value. I hope he doesn't do this, but I think its the harsh reality we're facing in the near future.

Robert for sure, not sure if Shanahan will extend Morris or not. If recent history is any indication, Shanny will use Morris like a workhorse and then trade him in his contract year for max value. I hope he doesn't do this, but I think its the harsh reality we're facing in the near future.

yea...agree. would really like to keep alfred as a "core" Skin for a long time. one reason for liking the idea of a scat speed back to relive some of the burden on alfred.

We have done better in the draft in recent seasons.

My comment was not that either LeRibeus or Jenkins were busts, merely that they are coming along slower perhaps than hoped for.

Josh is 23 and Jarvis is only 24.

But it would be nice to see what these guys have in sustained looks before they hit that crucial period before the end of their rookie deals.

Rib is going to show this year if he can start in the NFL. Didn't hit the ground running exactly, but I like what I saw late---kid is a mudder and I think I see some feisty attitude on the field. Might have us a poor man's Grimm if he develops. MIGHT I said.

Jarvis is also goign to show this year what he's all about. Last year was year one coming back from a serious wheel injury. We'll know early on if he's all the way back to what we got a taste of his rookie camp. This guy COULD be a real impact player if he's got the wheel and his swagger back.

Pretty sure that next year is a year too soon to do anything about extending Griff or Morris. I believe that per the rules of the new CBA, rookie contracts are untouchable for their first 3 years which means neither of our prized fresh faces is eligible for a rework or extension until after the 2014 season, which means the spring of 2015.

I was wondering about that also - appears that after the 3rd year of Griffin's contract the Redskins can exercise a 5th-year option; since he was picked in the top 10, would make his salary the average of the top-10 highest paid QBs in the NFL. Still haven't found when exactly they become extendable though...

EDIT: found this, Neo is right. The contracts are untouchable until after their 3rd year, when the above option can be exercised (similar to a franchise tag, if the team is unsure if they want to extend I suppose, or can't reach an agreement).

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7929748/nfl-bad-time-rookie

Pretty sure that next year is a year too soon to do anything about extending Griff or Morris. I believe that per the rules of the new CBA, rookie contracts are untouchable for their first 3 years which means neither of our prized fresh faces is eligible for a rework or extension until after the 2014 season, which means the spring of 2015.

good catch. I'm just thinkin that the set aside for these two is going to be significant - be it next yr or the year after.

But Washington will get some relief from the restoration of the cap as well as the anticipated retirement of Fletcher and Moss after 2013. Josh Wilson is also up after 2013 and at $3.5M I don't expect him back.

The key as always is the draft. We need those 2013 picks from next month to come through as contributors and others like Jenkins, LeRibeus and Hankerson to step up and claim starting jobs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.