• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Stop changing your oil

I've changed mine around 5-6,000 miles forever. I never believed the 3k recommendation.

Only reason i do so around 4-5k every time is not to void the warranty.

Change mine between 4-5 k.

The oil doesn't wear out necessarily, it's just the fact of getting the dirt and water out of your crankcase that's in that used oil that's so important to engine longevity.

I've been going with 7500 miles for the past ten years.

Thought it was common knowledge. Shrug.

For years always changed mine and recommended the 3000 mile interval. I've seen first hand the results of trying to go too far between oil changes.

With today's technology you can go further, but 10000 miles and beyond is pushing things. I do my cars at 5000 miles now.

I believe in the old saying, "Oil is cheaper than machinery."

I've been going with 7500 miles for the past ten years.

Thought it was common knowledge. Shrug.

I thought so too, but reading that article shows how manipulative car service places are. It's a shame people are so naïve, but I imagine I'm just as guilty in other areas - if you don't have direct experience with something it's easy to accidently perceive someone as an expert when they're not, then follow their advice.

I thought reading the owner's manual was also common knowledge. Where it specifically tells you what kind of oil to use and when the change it. Apparently I'm one of the few that actually take the hour (or two) to read it... the number of things I've already seen on a website for my new car that I just think 'yeah, well, if you read the owners manual you'd realize why you're having that problem' is astounding... and these are supposed to be the 'more' informed people about the car...

For years always changed mine and recommended the 3000 mile interval. I've seen first hand the results of trying to go too far between oil changes.

With today's technology you can go further, but 10000 miles and beyond is pushing things. I do my cars at 5000 miles now.

I believe in the old saying, "Oil is cheaper than machinery."

I'm in no way qualified to speak as to what is appropriate for others. I worked at jiffy lube for a summer, and I do my own maintenance on my vehicles, that's about the extent of my car knowledge (ie: not much :) )

It all comes down to how the car is designed. With new oils and machining technology things are being designed much different now than they were even 15 years ago. There are quite a few cars out there that are designed to go 10, 15, or 20 thousand miles between changes. It all depends on how the engineers of the car built the parts to work together. They built them to work a certain way, and with high end cars they build them to last 200k miles. (my understanding is even the lower end vehicles should go 200k without any problems these days)

I'm one for doing things how the engineers of the car designed them - not the service guys at the local dealership. There's a reason the people that designed the car put what they put in the manual...

I have worked and been around cars my entire life. I see the effects of not properly maintaining a car properly. Over the years I have seen many a valve cover, intake, and or oil pan removed and when see the sludge build up it is easy to diagnose the cause.

In the real world, you push oil changes above 10k miles and it is the old pay me now or pay me later.

I used to change my own oil, and my roommate's, too, back in the day.
Now I have a husband.
He pays our mechanic to do it.
Not what I had in mind.

Back when we first started dating, I had issues with cleaning my gutters. Thought his coming into the picture would be beneficial. And when I asked him?
He has vertigo. Can't get near a rooftop.
He paid for someone to clean my gutters.

Should I have seen a trend?LOL!

One thing from my mom...maintain your vehicle. Listen to it for a while...hear what it tells you. (Silence CAN be golden.) Don't get stranded. Even with a cell phone, if you're female, you're vulnerable out there. Hell, even dudes are, now that I think about it...we got the MC handled, btw.

Tornado warning...gotta go.

I have worked and been around cars my entire life. I see the effects of not properly maintaining a car properly. Over the years I have seen many a valve cover, intake, and or oil pan removed and when see the sludge build up it is easy to diagnose the cause.

In the real world, you push oil changes above 10k miles and it is the old pay me now or pay me later.
Very true stuff here. Even thought he technology and oils are better, the parts aren't. Parts are absolutely not built to last anymore, no matter what you're driving.

Almost all car parts are built overseas. They save money by making them out of lighter, cheaper metals that break easier. They also make thing just a wee bit thinner, reducing strength. Everything done in the past was done for durability. Nowadays, it's all done to cut costs. When your oil gets old, it gets hotter. When it gets hotter, it heats up the moving parts more. This makes those cheaply built moving parts a whole lot easier to break. And when something in your engine breaks and gets tossed around and chewed up, it's catastrophic.

Also, there are a lot of quiet problems you can discover through an oil change while the problem is in its early stages. If you wait too long, you could be waiting too long. I think anywhere in the 7500 miles and less category would be ideal, but anyone waiting 10-20k miles to change their oil is begging for disaster. Unless your gears, pans etc. are machined titanium, you've got balls going that far, regardless of what the manufacturer (who is in business to keep selling more cars btw) tells you.

Order a new husband.
Why? Her current one sounds like he has low mileage. Why trade him in for a newer model now? :laugh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.