• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Stock Market Ttrading Thread 2013....Let's Rock!

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Stock Market Trading Thread 2013....Let's Rock!

After talking with two members here today, I believe the time is right for our 2013 trading thread. All input from any members is welcomed.

First, some disclaimers:

Stock trading can be risky, and can result in significant losses. Consult a professional and do your own research prior to any purchases. I personally may have, and will in most cases have, a position in the stocks mentioned. I may sell a stock at any moment, and reserve the right to change my mind on a second's notice. I receive no compensation from any of the companies mentioned--I wish I did. Nothing here should be considered a recommendation to purchase or sell securities. This is for entertainment and educational purposes only. You, and you alone are responsible for any losses incurred. Don't eat too much chocolate right before bed, and never, ever trust a fart. Okay, with that out of the way, who has some interesting ideas?

Positions exited today:

3/4 of my position in HIMX at $7 per share.

All of my position in PXLW at $3.57 per share. Earnings are tomorrow, and I almost never hold through earnings.

All of my TSLA at $125.05 per share.

Positions entered today:

After selling shares in NDLS at $44.8 this morning, I bought them back at $43 this afternoon.

NDLS interests me. It's a recent high-flying IPO in the restaurant industry with which I have had success. I'm hoping it becomes another Chipotle. I tend to sell it anytime I am up $2 per share, and tend to buy it back anytime it drops $2 per share from my last sale. It's a mover that should not be purchased with funds that a person can't afford to lose.

So who has a great idea? Or even a decent idea in an individual stock?

Anybody feeling like buying AAPL before quarterly earnings today?

Anybody feeling like buying AAPL before quarterly earnings today?

I wouldn't, because I hate earnings.

But if I had to guess, I would think 390 might be in the cards after the bell tonight.

So McD, do you consider yourself more of a short-term, day-trader? Or are you open to anything? Just curious.

Stock: I got a tip about $DVAX - Dynavax corporation. They have developed a Hepatitis vaccine that works; but the FDA told them they needed to do more testing to ensure it was safe. This took their value from $5 down to $1. They have a very good chance to get back to $5, and there's a possibility they'll go much higher if their vaccine becomes feasible/widely distributed.

So McD, do you consider yourself more of a short-term, day-trader? Or are you open to anything? Just curious.

Stock: I got a tip about $DVAX - Dynavax corporation. They have developed a Hepatitis vaccine that works; but the FDA told them they needed to do more testing to ensure it was safe. This took their value from $5 down to $1. They have a very good chance to get back to $5, and there's a possibility they'll go much higher if their vaccine becomes feasible/widely distributed.

I do it all Lanky. I prefer my longer-term investments to be in things like REITS. For individual stocks, my holding period is anything from 15 minutes to 3 months.

I'm looking into DVAX. I appreciate the input.

Trades today:

Sold HIMX @$7.08 a share.

Bought HIMX @$7.14 per share.

Sold HIMX @$7.57 per share.

Bought PXLW @3.64 per share

Sold PXLW @$3.85 per share

Added NDLS@ $42 per share, and held it over.

Shorted GTN @9 per share, and held it over. Target $8.60 or lower.

Buy blackbe...
:paranoid:

this is way over my head but I'll thoroughly enjoy reading you guys talk about it. :)

Buy blackbe...

this is way over my head but I'll thoroughly enjoy reading you guys talk about it. :)

Big earnings on F, Tshile. Trading in the mid-17s prior to the open.

Buy blackbe...

Yeah, McD is on a whole other level than I am. I don't have the time or attention span for day-trading, I'm more of a buy-and-hold guy.

Speaking of F - sure wish I'd bought them at $1.50 in 2008. Sigh.

F is one of my investments right now. I'm very happy with the way they've been going. It'll probably be something i hold for 2 years or so though, I don't expect it to shoot up quickly.

And yeah lanky, I know. I know some people that did. They're quite pleased with where they are right now.

Bought GTN @ 8.56 to cover my short.

Sold NDLS @ 44.20

Keeping an eye on HIMX for another long entry.

Shorted GTN @ 8.3 again.

Bought back GTN @ 7.91 to cover short. Probably stupid.

Bought EVC @ 5.22 per share. Extremely risky, maybe stupid trade.

Added HIMX @ 7.42 per share.

Sold USNA @ 73.90.

Just read a negative article after purchasing it.....no thanks.

I know nothing about stocks, so I have to ask. If there is a company that isn't public, but they do trade stock as a company, is there any way for a regular person to buy stock in the company if they aren't an employee? The reason I ask, is because a company called Clockwork Home Services Inc. is a company I know a lot about due to one of their owned companies being a huge fixture in Virginia Beach, and a company that offers their employees stock and it's stock a lot of money is made on by guys in the company retiring and selling their shares back to the company. So is it possible, or would I just have to hope for them to go public one day?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.