• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Statement in Response to Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
December 12, 2013

STATEMENT BY THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS IN RESPONSE TO THE LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE ON CIVIL AND HUMAN RIGHTS:

“The Washington Redskins hold these civil rights leaders in high regard, but we respectfully believe they are mischaracterizing decades of honor and respect toward America's Indian heritage that our name represents for generations of Redskin fans and Native Americans alike.

We understand these leaders hold their views deeply, but so do hundreds and hundreds of Native Americans who have written to us expressing an opposite point of view.

· 'I am 100% Native American from the Tsimshian Tribe [Alaska]. I back the REDSKINS with all my heart, soul and body... I as a Native American have never had any issues with the name. I have always believed that the Native Americans have lacked any sense of placement in the USA. But the Washington Redskins gives us so much happiness and pride and loyalty to our past.’
- Janine Palma VanDenBerg

· 'As a LOYAL REDSKINS FAN for over 22 years, and as a NATIVE AMERICAN, I don't find the name offensive, I would find it offensive if you changed the name, you would be wiping out MY history.’
- Patricia Felt (Iroquois Tribe)

We believe it is important to listen to and respect all sides on this issue, and that includes also listening to and learning from Native Americans and countless Redskin fans who, for generations, believe our name represents the strength, character and pride of our Indian heritage."

-REDSKINS-

What it comes down to is it is a lot easier to sit in an armchair and issue media pronouncement about how awful the Redskins name is than tackling real problems with consequences.

Right now the latest UN report shows that SLAVERY is still alive and well in several regions of the world, most notably in the North African countries of Mauritania and Niger.

Why isn't this leadership forum organizing protests in front of those embassies?

What it comes down to is it is a lot easier to sit in an armchair and issue media pronouncement about how awful the Redskins name is than tackling real problems with consequences.

Right now the latest UN report shows that SLAVERY is still alive and well in several regions of the world, most notably in the North African countries of Mauritania and Niger.

Why isn't this leadership forum organizing protests in front of those embassies?

Because, just like clicking on an internet petition, whining about us is something they can do to make themselves feel righteous without actually having to do anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.