• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

State of the BGO 2023

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
stateofbgo.png

We have had a very good year at BGO in 2022. Probably our most active year in terms of posting and participation in quite awhile. I think some of the reason for that was the expectation we might make some noise with a supposedly 'easier' schedule, controversy around the name change and bungling of it by Jason Wright and company, and also due to the escalation of the many Dan Snyder scandals and investigations.

We are wrapping up our 2nd season with the site podcast which I know those of us involved thoroughly enjoy, and we hope more of you guys will raise your hands and come on as guests as we go forward. We have had many thousands of views of the You Tube version of BGO Blind Pig and over 2,000 downloads of the audio version.

We re-did our logo in 2022, which was a ton of fun given almost every member contributed to the final product, and opened a new BGO Store with some very cool logo-ed swag.

And I think by all accounts our shared site ownership approach has been a huge success. We thank all of you who have joined us as owners, site staff, or both as it has made a huge difference. Not only has it reduced the burden on the original owners ensuring that the site will continue on, but I think it is an ongoing recognition that it's not about 2 or 3 guys, what makes this place truly special are our longtime key members who are committed and part of the site on a daily basis. Sincere thanks to all of you.

Some favors to ask of each of you as BGO Members:

• Please let us know if there are improvements or things you wish we offered here. We are somewhat limited by our software, but if we need to offer something new or improve existing features, we are all about that!

• We'd really like to ensure an influx of new members. They are out there. We could use your help finding them. As we've bemoaned in recent years, many messageboards and forums have died over the years due to the advent of huge social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. But we feel like there is nothing like being a part of an dedicated community that is passionate about a specific topic. We are friends and family here, even when we sometimes argue and throw things at each other. If each of us would reach out to a couple of fans who would be good members, and ask them to join us, it would be a big help.

• There are a ton of Washington football-related podcasts out there. And although our goal has never been celebrity (good thing!), or to be the most viewed pod, we are proud of the pod and having more people watch it can only help to attract new forum members, something we all benefit from. We have only 42 BGO Blind Pig You Tube subscribers and that is a sad number - as it means even all our own active members are not subscribed. This is another area you can help us with. Subscribe and ask friends and fellow fans to do so. If you are on social media, like and more importantly retweet our podcast and other posts.

• Participate. Post. Visit the site and give your opinions. Start threads. All of these things keep the site humming and make it a more dynamic, enjoyable place to be a part of. I especially encourage folks to start new threads. We've gotten in the habit of putting every thought in the larger threads. New posts are always a good thing, but sometimes great conversations get lost in those mega-threads. Just something to thing about.

This offseason will be special and unique - because the franchise is finally exorcising it's biggest demon, our despicable and meddlesome owner Dan Snyder. I think Snyder, all by his lonesome, has driven off scores of fans. A new owner represents a fresh start for us all. We'll never again be the Redskins - but maybe with the right folks at the top the franchise can become something worth rooting for again. If you stopped participating because of Dan Snyder and what he's done to this franchise, there is no better way to celebrate his departure than to reengage as a fan, and as a BGO member.

At some point in the next several years, we will need to upgrade our site software. We are not in a huge rush to do so because it involves a ton of behind the scenes work. But that will be coming and will bring with it the promise of better site software and possibly more functionality.

Thanks for a great 2022, and buckle up for what is sure to be one of the most interesting offseasons in our history :)

Last edited:
So, not a big deal, but just illustrating my point about thread starting. Today Washington fires it's OC but since no one started a 'Scott Turner Fired' thread, we now have conversations going in at least 2 different threads, until someone posts about something else because those threads aren't specific to Turner getting fired. It just makes for a lot of disjointed, scattered posts, sometimes with duplicate content being posted. And starting a thread later just makes it worse. Again, not exactly the end of the world, but ..

Threads. They are good. Let's start them when something noteworthy happens (or even if we want to talk about something specific)...

You’re right. I would have had I been the first to post about it. Not that my 2 new threads over the past decades are proof of that. 😉

Plus, I don’t want to get reported again. 😎

Anyone can do it. I get folks want to be the first to break it and so throw it up in one of the mega-threads. If we can start a specific thread at the same time, that would be awesome. Again, not a big deal, just makes conversations a lot cleaner.

I sometimes pop onto the board to post threads about things I've just found out (the Scott Turner firing is an example) only to find out I'm WAY behind the curve. LOL

I think being in the UK maybe delays my getting news. I have the Bleacher Report app, and the ESPN app, but as I have notifications turned off (I hate being bugged by my phone all the time!) I only get the news when I check it.

We can always merge threads if someone starts a second one where there’s already a thread. What we can’t do is pull out individual posts to make a combined thread. So its better to start a thread most of the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.