• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Sports Science - Ndamukong Suh

Aston Gambino

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5073955

Cliff notes:
  • His reaction time is faster than anyone they ever measured, including backs and WRs.
  • His top speed is 13.5 MPH, faster than Tony Romo (and therefore, faster than any opposing QB in our division)
  • He reaches his top speed in about 5 yards
  • While at full speed, he tackles a dummy that's wired with sensors to measure the force generated - 3200 LBs!!! This was the highest force ever measured by these guys, surpassing Ray Lewis and Kris Jenkins.

Assuming we don't trade down, and assuming Suh and Okung are both there at #4, what do you think you'd do? What do you think Shanahan would do?

All logic points to Okung. We need a tackle. And a few other positions on the o-line to protect McNabb and to re-establish ourselves as a running threat. Okung is the total package and seems to be the safer pick.

But what if Suh is #1 on your board? What if you're one of the many that consider him one of the best defensive prospects to come out in years? What if all Spidey-Sense/gut instinct/mind-numbing analysis/Magic 8 Ball consensus/and Cerrato-esc evaluations all tell you he's a perennial Pro Bowler and possible Hall of Famer? What if the idea of Eli Manning being hit with a 3200 lb force is too much to resist?

It's the classic 'Need vs BPA' scenario.

thats a tough question (and a good one at that)..i would say a lot of what we do depends on how the fat albert situation resolves itself. not even so much as far as compensation...but if hes gone then D-line may also become an area of need (just not as big a one as O line).

There is absolutely zero chance Suh drops past Detroit at #2, so this is all a moot point. :)

For what it's worth, Charles Davis has had us taking Suh in his last 3 mock drafts, and has Detroit taking Okung. If his first 3 picks go that way, I agree with Suh 100%. No brainer if you ask me.

What would be tough, however, is having to decide between Suh and Okung, and I don't know if I'd be so quick to assume that scenario has zero chance of playing out.

For what it's worth, Charles Davis has had us taking Suh in his last 3 mock drafts, and has Detroit taking Okung. If his first 3 picks go that way, I agree with Suh 100%. No brainer if you ask me.

What would be tough, however, is having to decide between Suh and Okung, and I don't know if I'd be so quick to assume that scenario has zero chance of playing out.

IF Suh is there at 4, and that's a monumental if, the only option is to trade back. Someone will really want to move up and snag the next *potential* Haynesworth/Reggie White type player, and we'll reap the benefits.

I hope he's gone so we don't get tempted. On the other hand, I would be interested to see who would trade up for him.

I'm not so sure the chance is zero, but it's certainly low. Consider this:

Rams - Bradford
Lions - Okung
Bucs - McCoy
Skins - Suh

Rumor was the Lions' front office wants to better protect Stafford this year and feel they need a franchise LT. Schwartz (their head coach) is a defensive guy and would probably lean towards Suh. What if the front office wins out in this argument? The Bucs have stated several times that McCoy fits their scheme best. Whether that's all posturing or not I can't be sure.

As much as we desperately need O-line help if Suh were to fall to us I think we take him. Suh is one of the guys in the draft I've had a chance to watch a lot this past season (I'm a closet Husker fan). This guy is one of the most disruptive forces I've ever seen on the college level. One guy simply could not block him. Every time he needed to come up with a big play he seemed to have another gear. I thought he was the best player available coming in to this draft and my feelings haven't changed.

His value when attempting to move down and get more picks would be very tempting, but if it were my call he's be in Burgundy and Gold, end of story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.