• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Sports Card Collecting

Canadian Hog

2019 BGO Ballers Champ
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Collecting sports cards was something I loved doing with my older brother as a kid. About 95% percent of "my collection" ultimately belonged to my brother, as he was much older than me and actually had the cash to buy packs of cards and boxes. That all being said, I do recall owning a Mario Lemieux Pittsburgh Penguins rookie card. He was my favourite player as a kid and a school friend of mine flat out gave me one in great condition for absolutely nothing. It was my prized possession as a child and when I got older and became interested in playing music, I sold that card to a local card shop for $200, so that I could work closer towards buying my first drum set.

Several months ago, I started gaining a new interest in the card hobby. I have been shocked at the prices at which cards are going for these days (it kind of makes me regret selling that Mario Lemieux rookie)! I have started purchasing single cards mostly of great Redskins players through Ebay, but have also kept my eye out for cool rookies from some of my favourite older players from other sports. It has been fun building a meaningful personal collection again and reliving a bit of my youth.

Just curious to know if there are others out there who are all in on the sport cards explosion happening out there right now? The business is certainly booming.

If not, did you collect growing up?

Do you have a card you can brag about or a cool story to tell?

I have a very large collection of Cal Ripken cards left, I used to collect a ton until about 91 but other than the Ripken's and a few full sets, Topps 89 and 91 score everything else I sold ages ago along with numerous comics because I had no interest and needed some cash in college.

I have some early horror comics - Swamp Thing and 'The Witching Hour' that are worth some money, but never got into sports card collections. We also have about a gazillion Pokemon figures and cards that probably have some value. I do have a bunch of original Redskins Media Guides from the 1930's.

From what I know pokemon even though I dont get it can be worth some duckets

I still know the names of most of them... the downside of having your kids every weekend for years...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.