• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

sooooo

For the record, per the CNN/SI Play-by-play logs, Helu had only one rush up the middle and it went for 10 yards. He only had two negative carries, both the right, one for minus 1 and one for minus 2.

Rex came in looking chiselled and athletic. He's lost at least 20 pounds since last week. He was throwing frozen ropes all over the field and scambling for first downs and touchdowns. You should have seen it 62!

bada boom! too funny GSF! and with Thanksgiving just around the corner!

Maybe I just don't see what you mean by "up the gut", Mike. I only see the one play I would call "up the gut" and Helu made 10 yards on it. Maybe you should explain to me what you mean...

The problem I see with the running game is not so much Kyle's play calling but who is in the game at this point. Right now, I wouldn't play any back but Helu unless Roy needed a breather. No one else has earned playing time. Period.

Maybe I just don't see what you mean by "up the gut", Mike. I only see the one play I would call "up the gut" and Helu made 10 yards on it. Maybe you should explain to me what you mean...

The problem I see with the running game is not so much Kyle's play calling but who is in the game at this point. Right now, I wouldn't play any back but Helu unless Roy needed a breather. No one else has earned playing time. Period.

I didnt see much rnning up the gut which is surprising because against a smaller NT most teams would run the 1234 holes especially against a 30 front. i only saw one gut run, I did see a few off tackles and we sucked running them right. we need to be able to run the stretch and the inside zone and we cant, because the guards are atrocious. however our center did a solid job on ratliff, ratliff has a great motor and got in some plays on second efforts though.

Kyles playcalling wasnt as bad as its been, but it was still not what I expect.

Pro Football Focus take on Redskins and Dallas

I found this analysis of the Redskins performance against the Cowboys from Pro Football Focus interesting-and useful.

Redskins – Three Performances of Note

Offense showing signs of life

Washington’s offensive struggles have been heavily publicized, rightfully so, as this squad had not scored a TD since their Week 7 game in Carolina. That changed Sunday, though, as Rex Grossman helped roll up 336 total yards against a solid Cowboys defense; throwing two touchdowns and running for another. Grossman wasn’t perfect – he missed a few throws, threw a deep interception where he and Anthony Armstrong weren’t on the same page, and unwisely took a sack in OT right before the missed 52-yard field goal – but was certainly good enough, completing 28 of 35 passes for 289 yards and the two TDs despite the offensive line once again struggling to protect (-4.4 pass blocking grade combined for the five O-Lineman). Redskin fans have to wonder if their team would still be in such a deep hole if 'Sexy Rexy’ had not been benched in favor of John Beck for three games.

Grossman got help from his supporting cast too. With top wide out Santana Moss and rookie Leonard Hankerson sidelined with injuries, this corps full of journeymen needed to step up, and they did. David Anderson made a great 23-yard sideline catch on 3rd-and-7, Donte Stallworth (after recently being cut and re-signed) caught all four passes thrown his way for 51 yards and the game-tying TD, and Jabar Gaffney caught seven of 10 passes for 115 yards and a TD. Whether or not this crew can keep moving the ball in further games will determine when they get their next “W”.

Stout against the run, awful against the pass

The Washington defense deserves some credit for holding DeMarco Murray in check. Averaging 8.01 yards per carry in the last four games, Murray averaged just 2.9 yards per carry on 25 attempts in this game while only forcing one missed tackle, despite having forced a combined 16 missed tackles in his other games. Much of this effort can be attributed to ILBs London Fletcher (+3.0 run defense grade) and new starter Perry Riley (+3.6), as well as OLB Brian Orakpo (+2.2).

Unfortunately for the Redskins, their pass defense could not hold up against the Cowboys’ air attack. DeAngelo Hall (-2.8 pass coverage grade) had a lot to do with that, giving up six of eight passes thrown at him for 97 yards. Included were a 17-yard pass to Jesse Holliday (his only snap of the game) on a 3rd-and-12, and – in a moment all too reminiscent of their Week 3 game – a 26-yard catch to Dez Bryant on third and 15 that put the Cowboys in position for the game-winning field goal. Safeties OJ Atogwe (-1.1) and rookie DeJon Gomes (-2.6) also had their hands full – both played parts in two of Romo’s TD passes. In what is becoming a common trend for this defense against tight ends, there was such a colossal breakdown in coverage on Jason Witten’s 59-yard catch and run TD that it’s difficult to distribute specific blame but it seems most likely that the rookie was primarily at fault.

An interesting debut

After getting a great performance out of first-time starter Riley last week, the Redskins decided to insert the Nebraska rookie Gomes into the lineup at strong safety despite backup Reed Doughty being healthy. This move provided mixed results. The biggest drawback was in coverage as mentioned above; Gomes looked clueless as Witten ran through his zone on his way to a long score. Aside from that costly mistake, he also gave up a 15-yard catch to Witten and an eight-yard catch to Laurent Robinson, while also failing to recover a Witten fumble despite having a clear shot at it. Those kind of opportunities don’t happen often but he could not make a possible game-changing play at those moments. There were some perks, however.

Gomes contributed heavily in run defense with five tackles, three of which were stops, earning him a solid +1.8 grade in this aspect of the game. He did get shaken up assisting on a tackle, but was able to return. He also helped disrupt the passing game with two pressures on just four blitzes, which is even more impressive because this is his first start. With starter LaRon Landry dealing with a chronic Achilles injury and Doughty struggling, it’ll be interesting to see if there was enough upside in this performance to warrant more starts going forward for this rebuilding team.

Game Notes

- The Redskins’ defense missed a combined four tackles, while the Cowboys’ defense only missed two

- Former Dallas DE Stephen Bowen did his part against his old team in terms of pass-rushing, getting a sack and three QB hurries

- Hall has given up game-deciding plays on third-and-long to Bryant in both games against the Cowboys this year.

Article link: http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/11/21/re-focused-%E2%80%93-cowboys-redskins-week-11/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.