• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

SOE: GM For A Day--How To Fix The Washington Redskins

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
A very good article with some suggestions moving forward.

Starting this week, Sports on Earth's NFL writers will be providing an offseason assessment of all 32 NFL teams -- identifying the most important problems facing every franchise, and proposing solutions for each. Our series kicked off on Tuesday with the Houston Texans. Today it's the Washington Redskins.

Jay Gruden inherits something of a mess in DC. | SportsonEarth.com : Russ Lande Article

I looked into the writer's experience to see if I should even care what he has to say and found I would be interested in hearing what he has to say based on his experience. Then I quickly found his analysis was lazy and rather uninformative.

I thought the article was great, coming from a guy with impressive credentials.

I'm especially impressed with his suggestions on STs. I haven't even seen most of those names mentioned anywhere before. You can tell he knows his stuff.

I almost stopped reading when they said we have limited cap room. Skins have one of the best cap numbers in the NFL for 2014...

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I almost stopped reading when they said we have limited cap room. Skins have one of the best cap numbers in the NFL for 2014...

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. As of right now, I believe we have the 8th best in the league--which would be great.

But Orakpo is going to want a raise. Tandler and Keim don't seem to think we'll have a ton of room after signing guys we need to sign.

I don't think anyone really knows until we see who we keep. Certainly it will be a huge improvement over what we've had the last few years. But it's no Oakland Raiders type of cap room.

I thought the article was great, coming from a guy with impressive credentials.

I'm especially impressed with his suggestions on STs. I haven't even seen most of those names mentioned anywhere before. You can tell he knows his stuff.

If he knew his stuff, he'd know that the interior of our DL is the biggest hole on our defense right now. We could not get pressure on a QB at all without rushing at least 5 and even then, it was difficult since there was rarely push from the interior. Pressure the QB and the secondary is not left to cover receivers for 8-10 seconds. He calls Fletcher our best player on defense when everybody who knows anything about our defense knows that Fletcher clearly lost a step or two. The suggestion that Tillman or Rodgers-Cromratie are an answer at CB is preposterous...both are near the end of their careers and both will leave their perspective teams for money if they do leave. R-C has already stated he wants to stay put, so has Tillman.

The only thing I found he was absolutely correct was the mention of Alex Mack at C. But he makes no mention of the importance to replace either the LG or RG and RT simply naming one player on the OL who would be an upgrade.

He talks about the WR position and suggests Hankerson is "emerging". Emerging from what? Emerging from not being able to complete a season for the second in a row of his 3 in the NFL? Dexter McCluster to fill the role Moss leaves behind? Is he willing to return kicks for us?

Special Teams needs to be upgraded through plucking players off other team's practice squads and our backups. Taylor Mays? Umm...OK. Maybe he can play Safety for us too.

At least he stayed on topic, too many holes to fill with a lack of draft picks. He gave 4 options for the 2nd round pick we have. Don't know enough about those players to say he's right or wrong, but if his analysis of them is as good as his analysis of our needs, well...

Last edited:
Yeah, I scoffed at the suggestion of Peanut Tillman also. Dude will be 33 in two weeks! Typical Snyderatto signing, but The Bruce is in charge now.

Lol.....good lord. Tell us how you really feel.

For starters, many might suggest that safety is our biggest hole on defense. We have many holes. John Keim believes our biggest hole on D is MLB. He's not a huge fan of Riley. There's no consensus.

DRC would be a big upgrade here. He's a starter, and he isn't that old.

Mack we all seem to agree about. And he mentions Incognito, and two other names in the draft's later rounds to also upgrade the O-line.

Hank was emerging to a point, but he may be toast after his ACL injury. I'm not buying the 100% recovered bs. WR is a huge need, and he mentions that, and several players to watch.

I may not agree with all of it, but compared to most articles that only cover two or three obvious needs, I think he did a pretty good job hitting on many of them.

I've seen anywhere from 5th to 8th best in cap room ($26-28M). Plenty.

I will say, it pisses me off greatly to see the Bears with so much cap room, after their Julius Peppers contract clearly circumvented the "cap" in 2010. Infuriating!

It does make me smile to see the Cowboys with like -$30M in cap space, however. Lol Jerrah.

Not impressed with the article. And Keim may be right, both ILB positions need to be addressed, be it re-signing Riley or ending up replacing he and Fletcher. But if we continue to struggle to get pressure from the interior of our DL, doesn't matter how good the secondary or LB corps are. Did you see how Seaderrall just won the SB? They were able to consistently get pressure from a 4 man rush. Yes, the rest of that defense was pretty damn good too, but they were as good as they were because the DL made it possible to drop 8 because they consistently got pressure with 4.

I simply don't think it was "A very good article" since it misses on too many assertions.

but they were as good as they were because the DL made it possible to drop 8 because they consistently got pressure with 4.
I simply don't think it was "A very good article" since it misses on too many assertions.

I'm sorry but...math is hard :p

Also: I really don't see how Incognito would be that good here. I think that would be a mistake.

I'm sorry but...math is hard :p

Also: I really don't see how Incognito would be that good here. I think that would be a mistake.

We'd have been in the top 20 if we'd been able to play 12... Lol

I have no problem with the article other than some of the mistakes on the cap. We will sign a number of free agents who will be special teamers, backups, role players, etc. The article lists some of those players who could do well in designed roles for the Redskins.

BBQ looks at the higher profile FAs and clearly states that only a few of that number could be signed. While I could do more research to present role players to the forum, it would be a long and very difficult task. Trying to figure out where a new regime could go and who they would target is all but impossible to determine for now. We'll see what happens in March and this particular writer may have something to crow about in a few weeks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.