• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

So Here's The Deal -

BigRedskinDaddy

The Rookie
Reaction score
I'm Back!

Some, but not many of you will have noticed I was gone; most of those who did probably didn't care. A very small percentage might have, however. This post is addressed to you.

It has been nearly two years since my last entry in this space. What began as a labor of Redskins love turned rather quickly into a sporadic foray, instead of the professed relentless pursuit, of all things Burgundy & Gold. No matter. It's not how you start but how you finish, as the man once said.

And I intend to finish.

I would first like to explain my absence. I feel it is the least I can do, not only for those of you who might read this but, more importantly, for myself. It is the purely transparent thing to do. And that, my reunited friends, is of the utmost importance, as you shall soon see.

Besides, better bloggers than I have stepped out of the proverbial batters box to get squared away, like my man Ben Folsom of The Curly R. If he can take some time off, I don't feel so bad. Ben is a superfan whether he wants to admit it or not.

Allow me at this point to change gears: I apologize to the mods of whatever forum this happens to end up in, because from here the subject matter may become less than 100% Redskins-related. I trust you will do what you think is best. But I digress.

I am 45 years old. I have been a Redskins fan since I knew what a pigskin was. That's a long time. For roughly half of my life I have also been a born again Christian. While I have never wavered in my support of my beloved 'Skins, when it comes to following Jesus Christ I have been, shall we say, less than consistent. Twenty-five years ago I gave my life to the Lord, but I have only recently begun following Him again. For the majority of that time I have done my own thing, to my great detriment.

But things change.

Sometimes for the better.

Two years ago, when it was obvious that Jim Zorn was merely waiting for his severance pay from Daniel M. Snyder, I wrote him a letter to thank him for his time as Redskins Head Coach. Said letter went as follows:

Click here for rest of story:
http://yourdaddysredskins.blogspot.com/

You were missed.

What a great 'returning home' post, and how could any of us not celebrate what you've overcome. I'll confess, while nothing I currently face equals the demons you've tamed, I'm going through some stuff personally as we speak that has shaken me up a bit.

To hear your story gives me strength and I thank you for sharing it.

And on a sidenote, although it obviously never held the meaning for me that it did you, I too always saw Jim Zorn as the epitome of class, a good man through and through - probably better than the Redskins organization deserved at the time. How cool of you to reach out to him to tell him his actions meant something, and how cool that your actions proved it.

Hail - and you picked one hell of a time to return :cheers:

Thank you Boone. I admit I was more than a little apprehensive about posting this - it is scary to air your dirty laundry in public - but I feel it was the thing to do.

To know that it is accepted means a lot to me. :)

Regarding your personal struggles, know that my prayers are with you. And thanks again.

:cheers:

Welcome back BRD and thanks for sharing your story. Praying for your continued recovery.

Always great to hear of another who has over come such a terrible disease. Glad to see you back around!

That was an awesome story Glad he sent you a card back

Also glad you are living your life Enjoy it and never look back

Congratulations on your new beginning. And, as you well know, it is only a beginning. As someone who has too many tombstones to visit, due directly to substance abuse, I have great hopes and wishes for your continued success.

This Burgundy and Gold distraction is a healthy one.

Unless of course the bastages give us a heart attack!!!

Hail my friend.

Wow. I haven't been that moved in quite a long time. Thank you for posting that, hopefully you keep it up and post more!

Thanks everyone for your prayers, your encouragement, and your fellowship. This is just one of the things I love about the 'Skins - their followers are not only good fans, they're good people.

Hail.

BRD..."you did it your/his way"........and that has made all the difference. you picked the right season to return!

Welcome back Bro. Like you, I always liked and respected Zorn in spite of his being obviously in over his head as an NFL HC. Part of that was thst he clearly kept things in perspective.

Ultimately not much really matters in life aside from the people you love and being happy and healthy. Best of luck to you in all three.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Welcome back Bro. Like you, I always liked and respected Zorn in spite of his being obviously in over his head as an NFL HC. Part of that was thst he clearly kept things in perspective.

Ultimately not much really matters in life aside from the people you love and being happy and healthy. Best of luck to you in all three.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

come to think of it...where have you been mister? last I remember we were talking about the VA! hope you graduated (I assume a while ago) and that life is good.

Welcome back, BRD!

We're all different people with different perspectives, but we all have a common bond and that is our Redskins.

I hope that your love of this team will help you stay focused and on point.

Stay with it! It only gets better from here.

Welcome back, I cannot say that I know you but at the same time I do know you. As someone who has battled several addictions throughout the years I can attest that the trials and tribulations you have endured so far many have walked with you, and we will continue to walk with you even if you don't know it. Now onto football, HAIL TO THE REDSKINS and here's to a fruitful season and lively discussions!!

Impressive story and well written.

I'm glad you found peace with yourself. I know what it is to cheer for a team and be constrained in how we chear. So far this year, I have not seen a single game in its entirety live. I've either missed parts or taped them to watch after the kids go to bed, and I do this because as much as I love watching the Skins, my kids will always come first. So when they have something to do, I'll participate with them.

Still, I feel guilty spending 3 hours watching football when there is so much I should be doing. So a few years ago, I turned watching the Skins into exercise time. 10 push ups and 10 situps or a yoga strength pose for the length of a comercial at each commercial break of the games turns into quite a work out. Then I feel better knowing watching the Skins is accomplishing a goal for the day.

Long post to say I'm glad you are back to enjoying something you love. If you ever want a book pointing out some of the positives of being a fan, check out Fevered Pitch about a Manchester United fan.

Impressive story and well written.

I'm glad you found peace with yourself. I know what it is to cheer for a team and be constrained in how we chear. So far this year, I have not seen a single game in its entirety live. I've either missed parts or taped them to watch after the kids go to bed, and I do this because as much as I love watching the Skins, my kids will always come first. So when they have something to do, I'll participate with them.

Still, I feel guilty spending 3 hours watching football when there is so much I should be doing. So a few years ago, I turned watching the Skins into exercise time. 10 push ups and 10 situps or a yoga strength pose for the length of a comercial at each commercial break of the games turns into quite a work out. Then I feel better knowing watching the Skins is accomplishing a goal for the day.

Long post to say I'm glad you are back to enjoying something you love. If you ever want a book pointing out some of the positives of being a fan, check out Fevered Pitch about a Manchester United fan.

well...the Skins have made it much tougher this season: it was easier to walk away and do other things in past seasons!

Wow - welcome back, I guess. I'm kinda new, but that doesn't make your story ring any less impressive.

If you're looking for another "shot in the arm", a buddy of mine down in Miamuh just got married, wonderfully happy. He's a recovering "H" addict, did the counseling thing as part of his recovery. He's in the music biz, but doesn't even drink (impressive in the whiskey soaked Miami Indie scene).

Stay clean! It's totally worth it.

First and foremost - welcome back. Hoping to see you here more often. :)

Help me to understand something. I can't fathom the idea of putting harmful substances in my body. I've never been tempted at all by the stuff that is out there. Even in my drinking days, the most I would have would be one beer or a glass of wine - maybe a mixed drink once in a while. I haven't touched any alcohol in thirty-one years though.

How does this abuse happen? What is the attraction to such things? Why do highly paid athletes engage in the same behavior? Look at what it did to Dexter Manley. I don't want to put you or anyone else on the spot, but this is like a foreign concept to me.

You or anyone else need not answer if you so desire. Just know this - glad that you are doing well and back with us. As it should be. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.